Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: k&n vs paper

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

k&n vs paper

is the stock/paper Air Filter really that much worse then the K&N I had the K&N but lost it so I just got the paper one. IS there much diff?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Paper > K&N. Another long time argument on here, but stick with a paper or nano filter like the Amsoil Ea. K&N gunks up your MAF and allows way too much dirt into the engine.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

k thanks

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Actual Dyno results had shown a ~1hp gain.. Not worth the price or the dirt they let in as Jeff stated.. I would say tho that their pipes and CIA tubes are good setups but I'd go with a different filter.. I would also personally never put a K&N on a brand new engine..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

silver
    2000 formula

luv my KN........let the haterz hate

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post

You may love it... but your engine certainly doesn't. In all seriousness, they pass way too much dirt into the engine.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You may love it... but your engine certainly doesn't. In all seriousness, they pass way too much dirt into the engine.
    This....

Take your beloved K&N and hold it up to a lamp or light bulb.. Then see if you're feeling as comfident.. No insult intended.. Something along the lines of, "cheese cloth" should pop into mind eventually..

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Actual Dyno results had shown a ~1hp gain.. Not worth the price or the dirt they let in as Jeff stated.. I would say tho that their pipes and CIA tubes are good setups but I'd go with a different filter.. I would also personally never put a K&N on a brand new engine..
    yeah but actual dyno results can vary even 3hp on back to back dynos on same car no changes made

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    poor ls1. kn suck dude, sorry but its all marketing hype just like royal purple

This....

Take your beloved K&N and hold it up to a lamp or light bulb.. Then see if you're feeling as comfident.. No insult intended.. Something along the lines of, "cheese cloth" should pop into mind eventually..

also Smittro there is that real world test Sarge talked about. smear some wheel bearing grease on your lid on the other side of the filter where its "supposed" to be clean air. drive it for an oci and check it. there will dust and junk

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    yeah but actual dyno results can vary even 3hp on back to back dynos on same car no changes made

also Smittro there is that real world test Sarge talked about. smear some wheel bearing grease on your lid on the other side of the filter where its "supposed" to be clean air. drive it for an oci and check it. there will dust and junk

I did a "real world" test too brah.. I had pics of the test posted last year in another of the 1000 or so threads on the subject.. Compsyn posted real time data which is where the ~1hp came from.. It's an average I missed the grease thing tho.. Thanx.. It's amaging how much actually gets past.. Has a way of taking away your piece of mind in a hurry..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-19-2010 at 04:45 PM.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Paper > K&N. Another long time argument on here, but stick with a paper or nano filter like the Amsoil Ea. K&N gunks up your MAF and allows way too much dirt into the engine.
    Yep. Within a few days of putting a K&N in mine, I started losing MPGs. Had to take it out and clean the MAF, can only assume it had gotten oily.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

I did a "real world" test too brah.. I had pics of the test posted last year in another of the 1000 or so threads on the subject.. Compsyn posted real time data which is where the ~1hp came from.. It's an average I missed the grease thing tho.. Thanx.. It's amaging how much actually gets past.. Has a way of taking away your piece of mind in a hurry..
    yeah its a good gut check. i ran kn for a long time when i was round 15 or so gettin in to the hype of aftermarket. then i got me a edjumicashun on my '74 c10 i still have a 5inch kn with the kn fiter top on a 14 inch round air filter. just dont drive it much so i dont change it

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

FWIW: I have a K&N air filter on the 67 that I bought (the filter that is) back in 84. It's been in 6 different cars on 9 different engines. It's got ~250,xxx miles on it. For a carbed engine K&N's got my back.

With a MAF OTOH you've got to worry about over oiling the element which will contaminate the MAF resulting in greatly lowered performence/MPG's.

I prefer a normal paper air filter on the 4th gens...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes, we've pretty much all agreed that for our 4th gen cars, a K&N is worse than stock. As in, no HP gains, and those who've created problems from the oil that contaminates our MAF. And the dirt that gets thru if the filter isn't properly prepared.

I've proved it to myself at the dragstrip.

Now certainly there are cars where they help a lot.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I use the "Holly Powershot" same principle as the K&N, I have been using it for the last 9 years with no problems, the trick is, is not to over oil the filter, clean from the top down, oil from bottom up on the top of the folds only.

SteveC

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^That is true about not over oiling, but still there are no gains from using these type of filters except you don't have to buy another one ever again.

I make sure Too Fast has a clean quality paper filter.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I use the "Holly Powershot" same principle as the K&N, I have been using it for the last 9 years with no problems, the trick is, is not to over oil the filter, clean from the top down, oil from bottom up on the top of the folds only.

SteveC
    even if you dont overoil it, it still doesnt filter quite so well. cotton gauze filtration is an outdated technology. synthetic media like a aem dryflow or amsoil ea filters is the way to go if you are looking to replace the paper filter

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Once funds allow, I'm either switching to AMSoil or going with an OTRCAI.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Just found this. He put a second filter behind the other test filters to try to gauge how much is getting through the test filters. Frankly, I am surprised at how much his simple test shows is getting through these filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Man this is a tired old topic. Everyone HAS to ask it so no big deal OP

Here is my personal experience:

1. It is proven oiled filters flow better. How much or if its worth it falls right into the category of gutting cats, throttle body bypass and free ram air mod. Too each his own.

2. I personally liked the K&N and 100% can say the only way oil messes up your MAF is if you do not follow the cleaning instructions and over oil it. If you follow the instructions and let the oil dry there will be no MAF issues.

3. I have switched back to paper on all my cars. In order to properly clean the filter, let it air dry then let the oil dry is at least an all day event. So everytime I cleaned my filters I would start mid afternoon and my car would be stuck until the morning. Frankly, that is ridiculous for maybe 5hp these days. Now my younger self had no issues with that and enjoyed the tinkering.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Man K N is crap man, I will take an amsoil filter or a blackwing filter anyday of the week, man check out an amsoil filter to a K n filter to a light and it will asound you
    2002 Camaro Z28 Stock Ls1 longtube Slp Headers,Slp Y-pype, Flowmaster 80 series ,Level 10 Trans, Moser 12 blot 3.73s 33-spine axels tru-track posi, 335rwhp 345rwtq (STOLEN!!! 02/2011)

Thread Information