Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

K&n Or Paper Filter?

This is a discussion on K&n Or Paper Filter? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; this is one huge flame... i dont get what all the argument is... all the filters no matter what kind ...

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

this is one huge flame... i dont get what all the argument is...
    all the filters no matter what kind it is, is going to stop a lot of the dirt unless you find some crazy off brand... yes maybe a k&n will let more fine dust particles... but i would hope that it wouldnt let enough in to lead to the demise of your engine before 150k miles if it wasnt going to allready... and as for performance no a filter upgrade isnt going to make a HUGE difference, a slightly noticeable one yes, but only when your driving, rarely on the dyno...
    as for sarge... man you are a genius, i havent noticed anything you said being wrong, but honestly its not that big of a deal, the big consideration in a filter is if you will get hydrolocked, not how many fine dust particles make it inside your engine over 100k miles... you should use your smarts for something else other than arguing with igmos like us online...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you come on a forum and give an opinion like it's the gospel truth and nobody else in the world knows anything- you are going to get a debate. There is nothing wrong with a debate-it's possible for an intelligent person to learn from it.
    Looking at the last set of test results they don't seem to agree with the first set of results in a couple of areas. Leads one to question the validity or maybe the quality of all air filter testing. There should be repeatability in lab conditions.
    I still don't believe that a couple of percentage points difference in performance will add up to anything in the real world.
    Maybe we could change the name of this forum to Amsoil.com......

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    Well, I like my K&N, and dont have an issue with it, but here are some LEGITIMATE numbers from a non-affiliated source that show a lot more info than Sarge has posted up (he will like it b/c it calls K&N crap but the Amsoil isnt that great either).

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
    I never ever called KN crap son...be careful attributing comments that were never said......I will go on record saying this.........
    1. Much of the data is outdated being shared here. Old. Different testing methodologies are being represented as identical test reflecting different results thus to discredit all test. This in inherently wrong and misrepresents terribly.
    2. KN's have been around 40 years and were "better" than the old paper filters of the day.
    3. Paper filters have come a long long way in the past 10-15 years and KN stayed the same as the day they came out 40 years ago. Todays paper filters flow and filter light years ahead of just 3-4 years ago.
    4. Todays new nano fiber technology allow better flow while trapping dust down to .08 microns versus a KN ( or any oiled cotton gauze filter) filtering down to .25 microns.
    5. Oiled filter technology came out when there were no MAF's or sensitive electronics. Todays electronics and MAF's do not like even the slightest oil film on them. I prefer the newer paper or nano fiber technology that are dry or oil free.
    6. High Performance engines require more flow for better performance. And tighter tolerances require less fine dust particles for longevity. So reach your own conclusion...I rank the available solutions as follows.........based on flow and filtration....
    1. Nana Fiber dry filters presently available from Amsoil/AEM/Fram.
    2. Oiled cotton gauze filters ( many brands)
    3. Paper
    4. Foam.

I would go further and challenge a few of you to do the two simple at home test that are fool proof. Don't need any high dollar equipment or labs for these.

Test#1 The Light Flow Test.
    Hold a paper filter up to a bright light. Hold a KN type filter up to the same light. What do you see? How big are the gaps? Where light comes through is where dust goes through also. Hold up a Nana Fiber filter. Seeing is believing.

Test#2 The Grease Glob Test
    Take a dab ( on the end of your finger not the entire tube ) of heavy grease. Smear it on the inside of your intake tube. Don't worry it wont go anywhere. Drive normally for a few days. Check your grease dab....see what got past your filter. You'll be amazed in the difference between oiled cotton and paper/nano fiber.

Now I'll say this in closing. Many of us have made investments in the oiled cotton filter solution. Fine! Dont overclean nor over oil the damn things guys. That causes more issues than any dust particles getting past them.

Debate/discussion is good. We all learn something and get to hear folks real world experiance. That is very healthy.
    Last edited by Sarge; 05-21-2007 at 03:46 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    If you come on a forum and give an opinion like it's the gospel truth and nobody else in the world knows anything- you are going to get a debate. There is nothing wrong with a debate-it's possible for an intelligent person to learn from it.
    Looking at the last set of test results they don't seem to agree with the first set of results in a couple of areas. Leads one to question the validity or maybe the quality of all air filter testing. There should be repeatability in lab conditions.
    I still don't believe that a couple of percentage points difference in performance will add up to anything in the real world.
    Maybe we could change the name of this forum to Amsoil.com......
    I don't know why you made the Amsoil.com comment so let me be clear of my position so your not confused. I am saying the new nano fiber technology is the best solution out there for filtration/flow. I don't give a rats ass who is first to market with it. Many manufacturers are delivering the exact same thing. Fram has it now...AEM....many others will follow quickly as it flat beats the pants off the other technologies. So don't for a minute think anybody is pimping Amsoil exclusively. I'm not for damn sure....as for the testing comment see above.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

hey sarge, i have a custom intake box that takes a big filter. i dont know the exact deminsions, it has a kn right now, do you know where i can get a paper filter by size instead of vehicle. i dont think amsoil makes em like that

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The Amsoil crack was just a little sarcasm- but it does seem to take a little prodding to get Sarge to expound his ideas a little further. In the end I feel we have a more rounded understanding of the issues on the filter subject now than we did at the beginning of this thread. Thanks to Sarge and all the others for the input and research. But seriously Sarge-your first answer seems to be that Amsoil is the shit -and when prodded further you expand that circle a little.
    To 'blue02z'- a GOOD autoparts store will be able to cross reference a filter for you based on size. Even Amsoil will be able to help -I don't know about that (Sarge might ) All it takes is a good counterperson that has a moment to help you.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

If your refering to the knuckldraggers behing the counter at my AutoZone you may want to rethink that statement. I am not changing or expanding anything...I am saying the new nano fiber technology is clearly the next generation of KN filters....unfortunetly KN is not making them...so others are moving in that direction...Amsoil was just first to the plate...Donaldson makes the Amsoil nano filters.....by the way.....I also call all soft drinks Cokes....orange/purple/diet/all soft drinks are called a Coke by me...so I probably will always call any nano fiber filter an Amsoil filter
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Well I call them "soda's" so what now you damn southerner!

lmao, J/K, but I do think this about the end of it since it has turned into a war of semantics/vernacular.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

NO-I said GOOD auto parts store. I was refraining from naming stores so as to not upset anyone. However I will go ahead and say-probably not any of the economy chain store parts stores will have a good auto parts counterpeople. NAPA always seems to have good help around here-go find out for yourself who has the answers.
    My nearest Autozone has very friendly and helpful people-they will bend over backwards to try to help. But they may not actually have the answers. I live right down the street from one and they let me look at the books myself and custom order stuff. They know I know more than they do on some of this stuff and it's cool with them. I get good prices that way and don't have to pay shipping.
    As far as thread being over--says who? I'm learning stuff from this-keep going.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    You were right,I did start a little war with this thread.I also learned alot!!!!! Thanks to everybody for the education!

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    No...but I know how much it cost to run consistent high 10's in a full interior 04 GTO.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information