pewter
    2002 v6

k&n and flowmaster, now what?

I have a v6 2002 camaro. Ive installed k&n and flowmaster, cut about .5 off my 0-60, although it feels like most of the improvement come from 60-80. Now Im not sure what I should do next. Any sugestions other than buy a z28/ss, or replace the engine? Was thinking about headers, have about 1000 to spend right now. What do you guys think?

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

headers will for sure bump you up.......port and polishing the throttle.....get the heads ported.... different gears(373)... weight reduction......think about it..the more air goes in and more air goes out=power

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what's your goals? Is it an a4 or an m6. Spray maybe?

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

sprays always a must for fast power at a cheap price

pewter
    2002 v6

goals

Well my goals are to make it as fast as a 2002 z28. Since I already have a couple things done and still owe 6000 on the car, I figure it would be cheaper to invest some $ instead of trading in for a z. Plus insurance on a z in nj is twice that of a v6. Not sure about the quarter mile time but I need to drop about 1.7 sec off the 0-60 time. Maybe a "chip" would help?

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

no..chip..tuning would help alot

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the old saying goes "there's no replacement for displacement". It's hard to argue building up a 6 instead of getting an 8. The money you'd put into it just getting it equal to a stock LS1 would be better spent on buying the LS1. I also realize not everyone can just run out and drop that kinda cash on a car. Personally if it were me....I'd spray it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

It won't be as fast as a stock z without some kind of forced induction and can't see spending that kind of money on a V6.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    It won't be as fast as a stock z without some kind of forced induction and can't see spending that kind of money on a V6.

I agree, its either forced induction or opening up the motor for head work and cam. As other mentioned go with a ported tb, Do they make underdrives for the v6? Headers some decent gears and a tune. I would leave it at that personally. You should be able to keep up with some gt's with those mods.

I would look on the net for some good chevy v6 forums, I know there are some fast v6 f-bodies out there. Those forums would help more than this one would.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

green
    94 z28

I'd have to say....do the free mods, go for the headers, and try to do all of the weight reduction you can.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the old saying goes "there's no replacement for displacement". It's hard to argue building up a 6 instead of getting an 8. The money you'd put into it just getting it equal to a stock LS1 would be better spent on buying the LS1. I also realize not everyone can just run out and drop that kinda cash on a car. Personally if it were me....I'd spray it.
    Well it depends on what you're doing. You're forgetting the insurance case, which the v8 are killers on.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what's your goals? Is it an a4 or an m6. Spray maybe?
    Its a V6 so it would be either an A4 or M5...
    But yea like everyone else on here, spray would be your best bet. Cheapest way for the most power, after spray then try to go for a few other mods like headers but also tuning will unlock a lot of power...

Sebring Silver
    2000 Z28

fullthrottlev6.com is a great site for this. I spent a lot of time over there when I was gonna do my turbo project. But I measured my opportunity costs and went with the LS1, you'll see that reliability kinda goes out the window when it comes to building a v6 the forced induction way. Theres really no kits out there for it so everything is build it yourself, which can get kinda tricky unless you really know what youre doing. I got sick of everyone telling me to just buy the 8, but in the end, it really seemed to be the better way to go. You may be in over your head with this one. However the 3.8 IS a strong motor and can handle boost nicely (theres someone on fullthrottlev6 running upwards of 21 lbs on stock internals), so do what you feel is right, but I can promise you it will be costly to get into the range of an ls1. And to do it, you WILL need boost.
    2000 Silver Z28 w/ Sports Appearance Package, P&P TB, FTRA, Direct Flow Lid, Pace Setter LT's, ORY, Flowmaster 80, TCI 3000 Stall, Trans Go Shift Kit, Computer Tune, Richmond 3.73's, Bilstein suspension, Edelbrock torque arm, UMI Suspension bars, drilled and slotted rotors.

Red
    2001 ws6

save ur money....dont wry about making the 6 cyl. faster....save wutever money u would be putting into this car and mayb in a year or two invest in an ss or z....in the long run u will be MUCH happier

Thread Information