Just a stupid question about idle

This is a discussion on Just a stupid question about idle within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; When my car is being driven and the rps are x amount....is it normal for the rpms to go up ...

Just a stupid question about idle

When my car is being driven and the rps are x amount....is it normal for the rpms to go up when you put the trans into nutral while driving at the same speed? I let someone drive my car yesterday and we were at lets say 1200rpm and he put the shifter into nutral at about the same speed. The rpms went to 2000+. He said there is something wrong with the car. Is it normal or what?

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

yes, because you take the load off the engine. so, it free revs for a second until the IAC comes down to stabilize the idle. also, when you do this shift into neutral thing, are you leaving the gas pedal pushed in the same position? if so, then the motor rpms will rise from taking the load off as well.

Red
    2001 ws6

the only reason the RPM's should go up is if you kept your foot on the gas while you put it into neutral, if your talking about the car being idle and this happening yes the RPMs at idle in neutral will be slightly higher than in drive if the car is cold because the car idles at a higher RPM to warm the engine up, once the RPM's drop below 1k the car is warm

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

yea if youre hitting the gas when in nuetral but if it just does that when you put it into nuetral thats not right

Quote Originally Posted by rsg98Z28 View Post
    yea if youre hitting the gas when in nuetral but if it just does that when you put it into nuetral thats not right
    It's in the tune as Mrr23 hinted at. There are certain idle speeds programmed in the computer,,,and it is based on whether the car is in neutral, in park or in gear,,,,and there are other tables that affect idle if the car is actually rolling,,,using the speed sensor,,,also again depending on whether the car is in neutral, or in gear,,,and it will control the idle speed accordingly depending on whether your rolling or sitting still.

Perfectly normal,,,,if you don't care for it,,,,it can be changed in the tune and taylored to your liking.

Thread Information