Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOM
    2002 SS

JUST MY LUCK !! Puncture, is this repairable? pics

Just my luck. Was putting my snows on today, pulled out of the garage and noticed my tire was flat. KJHDSHFKHDSH.
    Busted out the spare and its flat too !! Gotta wait for the wifey to get hometo use her car.

Puncture is near the side I'm only hoping for some positivity out of this and maybe this tire is salvageable? Do you guys think its too close to the side for a seal/plug ???

Sigh.

Would have checked the pressure but didnt have another car at home so I was hoping it had enough to get to the gas station. Not.

Red
    2001 ws6

thats definently pluggable

SOM
    2002 SS

very cool to hear. was afraid it might not be because its close to the edge. It looks like its at the end of where the tire usually has contact but its actually wider cuz i moved it in the garage. so when its full it would look a bit further from the edge. hope that makes sense. I have hope now thanks !

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would plug it, You can pick up a kit from a local parts store.. Works pretty good.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I think you're good it was only $25 for me to get mine fixed at a shop.

SOM
    2002 SS

Update is I went to a local place to see if it could be patched. they didnt reccomend a patch said a plug would work better in this case because it was close to the corner. They said it 'was not done here' for $20 cash so there was no liability which was cool with me. They used a Light Truck Plug or something like that (LT something). Pumped it up to 50 psi and it wasn't leaking at all. I drove on it to the gas station and pumped them all up to about 36 lbs. did some burnouts and some swerving for 20 mins to try and build some heat (got a little warm its like -15 degrees celcius outside so it took a while) but the pressure is holding steady so far.

Not too big of a deal since the vette will sit on these over the winter while I put the snows on tomorrow anyways but for $20 it looks like it will hold air and I don't have to worry about it till spring when I put them back on the Z.

I'll put a pic up of the piece it was steel and about 3/4 the length of a penny or so and very thin. Not a nail or anything and he said it probably wouldnt have killed the sidewall liek a nail would if I had driven on it low or close to flat.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Update is I went to a local place to see if it could be patched. they didnt reccomend a patch said a plug would work better in this case because it was close to the corner. They said it 'was not done here' for $20 cash so there was no liability which was cool with me. They used a Light Truck Plug or something like that (LT something). Pumped it up to 50 psi and it wasn't leaking at all. I drove on it to the gas station and pumped them all up to about 36 lbs. did some burnouts and some swerving for 20 mins to try and build some heat (got a little warm its like -15 degrees celcius outside so it took a while) but the pressure is holding steady so far.

Not too big of a deal since the vette will sit on these over the winter while I put the snows on tomorrow anyways but for $20 it looks like it will hold air and I don't have to worry about it till spring when I put them back on the Z.

I'll put a pic up of the piece it was steel and about 3/4 the length of a penny or so and very thin. Not a nail or anything and he said it probably wouldnt have killed the sidewall liek a nail would if I had driven on it low or close to flat.
    I personally wouldn't trust that being plugged there. Might be alright to putt around town in but keep it on the back and don't go fast on it. That's just awful close to the sidewall....wouldn't want that on the front and have it let go at high speeds.

rust
    65 Impala SS Convertible

Bad advice from the tire shop there. If a tire is not patchable, then it is junk.

A few things to think about. A tire is basically a tube molded to a tire. When you plug a tire, you are jamming a piece of rubber into a hole to stop a leak. You are actually pulling the belts apart to stop air from leaking out the tube. If you had a balloon leaking would you put an object in the hole or tape it. Which would stand a better chance of holding up?

As for plugging the sidewall, a definite no no. The sidewall flexes each time the part of the sidewall in question is at the bottom of the tire. A patch has polyester fibers in it to help with the flexing so that all of the pressure is not on the area already weakened by the puncture. As I said previously, this is a no no and is not safe for driving.

I know someone will chime in that they have worked in a tire place or in a garage or gas station and they have done it all the time. In my lifetime I have probably fixed a couple hundred thousand flat tires of all makes and sizes. I have seen plenty of new tires made junk when the plug is not put in exactly the same hole as the object that came out of it. I have seen patches come lose, but they are mainly from either being run underinflated or bad preparation for the vulcanizing fluid.

The no liability line should tell you to throw it out because your life is worth something.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yep its too close to the sidewall to guarantee a leak proof repair, but I think what you and the shop did is ok. Might as well try a plug right? If it doesn't work then you know you need a tire.

black
    2002 firebird trans am

should be repairable, would cost me about 10 bucks at my local tire shop, as long as the hole is not on the side wall you should be good.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have replaced tires with punctures like that. The customers would want it plugged and the shop I worked at had their "we know nothing" policy as well. The shop I am working for now is very thorough and we replace tires with punctures too close to the sidewall. I had to replace one of my rear tires because of this same thing.

rust
    65 Impala SS Convertible

Take a look at the photos again and notice the broken belt that goes down the sidewall.

Also take a look at the size in the photo, a 55 profile. Small sidewall means less chance of a reliable fix.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

a rule of thumb the tire shop told me is from the first tread line out. is not a good idea to do it. with the way a tires rolls a little in turns ect. i would not try to fix that all. my life is worth more then the 150 or so for a new tire. good luck with it.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

LOL The tire is worn right to the wear bar anyway....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    looks like it had plenty of life left in it to me.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

If this tire is "Z" rated it should not be plugged OR patched, it should be replaced.

Your life is worth more than the 200 to 300 dollars for the tire.

SteveC

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Unsafe to plug a tire that close to the side wall

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    Tire isnt half way down yet lots of tread left. anyhow been driving on it last few days and no probs and not losing any air. Just needed it on till I get the winters on the car which will happen tomorrow. then I just wanted it patched cuz this set will be on the vette for winter sitters. When i put them on next summer I'm going to look into widening the rear rims by 1 inch so I can get 295s or so on the back anyways.

Here's what they looked like a few weeks ago. the salt and not having washed the car in 5 weeks now definitely doesnt help.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I have no doubt that it holds air I've done and seen people do plenty of plugs. But that doesn't mean that its stable nor is it recommended for high speeds.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

throw it on the back and just drive normal, nothin over 80. even if it goes down its not gonna explode, the plug will come out and just loose all air pressure. if your racing it you might have a problem, driving normal, youll be fine.
    RIP Drew 9/16/1987-11/15/2009

Thread Information