Just curious

This is a discussion on Just curious within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So here's my question... How much more horsepower/torque does it take for a car with 3.42's to out-accelerate a car ...

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Just curious

So here's my question...
    How much more horsepower/torque does it take for a car with 3.42's to out-accelerate a car with 4.10's?

Here's why I ask...
    I was out with my friend last night. We were in his 06 Mustang GT and it was my first time since he got his 4.10 gears installed. I just wanted to see if there was a difference, and there was. Definately pulled harder. Anyways, we were cruising around a little after midnight when we get passed by an LS1 Z28 with an old man driving. We pull up to a red light and I ask the guy if he had anything done to the LS1, and all he said was "Yeah" and turned away. I couldn't tell what he had, it was a sleeper...he was running stock exhaust and it was so quiet. So, the light turns green and the Z28 rolls about a car ahead of us, then they both hit it at the same time. My friend spun a little, but the Z stayed up with that 1 car length and then pulled another half before we shut down.
    Obviously, 4.10's have a mechanical advantage over 3.42's, which leads to my question. My friend's GT is a 5sp and I couldn't tell what the Z was, or even if it had gears also, but assuming it was a 6sp with 3.42's, how much more hp/tq would he have to produce to outrun 4.10's out of the hole? I think the Z had to have had a cam, because it was quiet and still had the stock catback, must have had other bolt-ons too.
    Note: My friend's GT has a dyno-tuned ~320RWHP on a mustang dyno...just for number's sake.
    Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by BlackLT1Z28; 05-01-2007 at 07:23 AM.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Thats a very broad quesiton.....
    Your asking what the z would have too have inorder too outrun a mustang gt with some gears? I would have too say not much at all, even a stock z would take on a gt and still take a few lengths.
    If they were both standards then its drivers race also.
    In my opinion too many variables too even begin too guess.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    2002 T/A

Cut another notch in the LS1's belt in a long line of Mustang notches.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Well, my friend's GT also has longtubes, high-flow crossover, side exhaust, ram air intake, 4.10's, and obviously, the tune.
    And I assume the Z was running a stock catback because he had the stock rear pipes and stock tips. He could have swapped out the muffler but I couldn't tell. And in exception to the 1 car lead before they hit it, the Z only pulled maybe a half a car on top of that, so it was a pretty close race I think...

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

The old man driving the Z probably had the "Old Man" cam. LOL Realistically, he probably had just a lid and tune. Oh and a LS6 intake if it was 01-02 Z. That and a 6 spd sounds to me all that is necessary to handle your buddy's GT. His exhaust probably sounds cool tho. All bark, no bite.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Also if he had the stock tips, the chances are he had a stock exhaust system. I have never seen anyone replace there catback or even muffler and keep there stock tips on there.
    J

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

hp difference going from 3.23 to 4.10 in my car. auto trans. give you an idea of how much to add

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    His exhaust probably sounds cool tho. All bark, no bite.
    I wouldn't say that...those 3 valves can move compared to the 2 valve 99-04 gt's. 320rwhp on a stang dyno with headers,intake and a tune..it has some bite.

seabring silver
    2002 Camaro

Come on now your comparing apples to oranges

Thread Information