Just about to start modding

I'm about to order up some parts for my new toy (black 2002 WS6). I'm think of starting off with headers, catback, air lid, strut tower brace, and subframe connectors. Is there anyone out there that thinks this isn't the way to go?

Next question...what are some good headers (keeping in mind I don't plan to get extreme with this car, just a little more "tweeked" than stock) I used to hear a lot about MAC mid lengths a few years back when I was a teen, are they still in popular favor and are they still available....or should I be looking at something else.

Now for the catback...I want something that is pretty much quiet at normal cruising speeds (I don't wanna lose my girl over the sound) but also something that freightens the neighbours at WOT. Can anyone recommend a particular set up. (keeping in mind that I'll also have headers, and I'm on a budget)

Lastly...slp air lid (cheap and efficient?) and strut tower and subframe connectors...which ones are cheap and reliable?

Thanks a million guys!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Your initial mod list looks good. Instead of the strut tower brace, I would get lower control arms instead though.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

white
    95 f-150

I've heard good things about pacesetter LTs

98 Formula
    06 duramax

pacesetter long tubes are a good way to go. Easy on the wallet and a pretty good header for the money.

magnaflow is a very popular catback. Flowmaster would be quieter than most but you'll be giving up a few HP running it. It's hard to combine quiet and HP. Magnaflow would probably suit your needs but go to LS1sounds.com and listen to a few on there and decide for yourself.
    SLP lid is fine. Very good lid but most lids are very close in gains and quality.

I'd look at either BMR or UMI subframe connectors. Basically the same design with UMI usually being a little cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Your initial mod list looks good. Instead of the strut tower brace, I would get lower control arms instead though.
    Is there a downside to the strut tower brace...control arms are probably a lot more expensive to have installed, are they not? (unless I can manage it myself in the driveway)

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Get Pacesetter LT, Stall converter and lower gears.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Is there a downside to the strut tower brace...control arms are probably a lot more expensive to have installed, are they not? (unless I can manage it myself in the driveway)
    not a down side... the lower control arms are a FAR better choice... what good is power when it's being absorbed by weak parts??? the control arms can be had at a good price... check out the sponsors for "UMI" brand... they are inexpenseive and great quality...

rapter34
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    you can put LCA in by yourself and they will do alot more than the STB. you should get unbinded LCA so they can move more idependantly. you may also want to think about relocation brackets with the LCA. they are like $60 but they help you get much better traction.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    you can put LCA in by yourself and they will do alot more than the STB. you should get unbinded LCA so they can move more idependantly. you may also want to think about relocation brackets with the LCA. they are like $60 but they help you get much better traction.
    eespecially if you have lowering springs... then they are a must!!!

rapter34
    also with regards to headers. Don't waste your money on the mid tubes go for the full long tubes.

The Red Reaper 98Z28importslayer's Avatar

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

Headers defiantly go with Pacetter quick trip cermaic coated LTs you can order them from texas-speed for like $370 (i dont even think theres a 1-5hp diffrence between pacesetter LTs and the 800 kooks or hooker) , then go with texas speed's ORY which is like $110, and for a catback like Orion said magnaflow is probably your best bet and you could always get a eletric cutout and place it right after the ORY so when your GF isnt in the car you flip the switch and it sounds like its going to eat you .

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

UMI suspension parts all the way There are some really good sponsors to this site (guys that wont just sell you expensive parts because it makes them money, they will sell you parts that work and good stuff for the right price)
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

2002 WS6 TranAm

Good post. I also have a new 02 and was wanting to start mods. I was thinking LT Headers, Air Lid, MagnaFlow and had the same questions. I'm not going to rob your post hope to continue to get some feedback. Can anyone list what type of money is to be spent on these suggestions?

Thread Information