Thread: Issues

Looking for my next LSX 6-Speeder's Avatar

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Question Issues

Hey, well i know i should search the forum a little more but in the last day or two of searching i couldnt find anything concrete. So anyway i recently bought a new T\a. Its a 99 Midnight Blue M6 that apparently went to SLP for some upgrades such as the hood, wheels, and numerous other things i dont know about lol. But anyway during the trip in driving it back a few issues came up, nothing major however i would apprecate some input.

Mods noticed: Headers (unknown brand), Borla Exhaust, Shifter or at least the head is different, various other small unimportant changes.

The thing that bothers me the most is how at certin speeds there is a low to more intense vibration that makes the stick shake as well as i can feel it making the car vibrate. So as far as i can tell it could be: exhaust touching ot too close to the tranny. OR driveshaft is touching something and shaking the car maybe.

#2 When shifting i have to push the clutch alllll the way down and while trying to shift i really have to "muscle" it to shift. Is this normal? Or should it be smooth, my parents and any other stick shift car ive driven have been very simply and easy so maybe its just different in such a powerful car.

#3 We unfortionatly noticed the speedometer is off anywhere from 10-20mph, but hey if i get a ticket im guarenteed to get out of it . Though i do want it fixed, any suggestions on what might need to be fixed, pricing, and if i could even do it myself.

#4 The back hatch i dont beleive "seals" completely especially since theres a large gap on one side between the hatch and the fender, the other side is just like it should. Is there a simple solution to adjust the struts? Or do i need to do something else.

Note: the guy said that the entire undercarriage may need to be lubricated, so if that contributes to any of the vibration or other problems lemme know.

Other than that i LOVE it and more importantly the sound it makes i definatly get a lot of looks everywhere, paint and interior are in near perfect condition. It is unfortionate where i bought it from though, way out in the middle of no where poor car. Oh well, just thought id share the joy, Ls1 is awesome! Any comments will be helpful, im going to take it in to our friend at a shop to just take a look at it and see if they can see anything that needs to be done. Thanks a lot! I also apologize if this was on another forum and i missed it

WHITE
    2000 Z28 M6

The vibration is probably from polyurthane bushings if he said you need to lube? though your trans should be smooth shifting you might want to get that checked out or ask him if anything is aftermarket

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

you can call slp performance and give them the VIN and they will have a record of everything done to your car if in fact they did do the performance mods. also with the rear hatch, check the bumpstops on each side of the hatch to make sure they are level this could cause your hatch to sit unlevel

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Well im gonna take it in this morning, have to get up early to be first... basiclly have them check out the car overall and give me a diagnosis. They know my family and are good people, ill definatly look into those brushings and anything else i need done. And when i went to check on those bump stops the one on the side that has the gap is missing... soo guess thats not it... has to be the strut, everything else seems in line but ill take a closer look tmm. Ill update this later tmm before work when i get a report. Ill give SLP a call this weekend. Thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like it may have been modded by the previous owner. I would contact them to see exactly what was done to it so you know where you stand. The speedo being off sounds like a gear swap possibly. The vibration could be poly bushings like was mentioned above although it could be a busted tranny mount, poly mount, or your Y-pipe could be touching the underbody a little. Hard to diagnose that one without actually being there.
    I say the very first step is to contact the previous owner and find out what's been done to the car. If you have a mechanic look the car over make sure they're familiar with aftermarket stuff and preferably 4th gen f-body aftermarket so they know what to look for and what they're looking at when they see it. Check the local forums here on the board for someone in your area that would maybe look it over for you.

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Unhappy

Well unfortionatly i have to take the car in tmm since this morning i got to find out that the place we always take it to moved about 5 or 6 miles further which kinda sucks. However all they can work on is checking out the underside for any of those parts that may cause the vibration, inspection and recharge my A\c. So ill be looking for a transmission place and a place that can recalibrate my speeometer, im really hoping that its just the tires causing the vibration as the rear ones are worn down. So nothing yet today. But i will ask them about all those parts underneath you mentioned that might need the lubrication. Thanks again

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Question

Update: a gearhead friend of my dad said that the speedometer could be due to a different rear end and or different tires. The funny thing about my tires is the code on the door reads 245/50ZR16 and the tires on the car on all four wheels say 275/40ZR17, so im going ot have to assume the wheels where upgrades by slp or someone bought slp 17" rims and put them on it...

Gonna wait till monday for inspection, hopfully get new tires which will stop any shaking... recently the clutch has been much smoother going into 2nd and slightly smoother into other gears...
    Last edited by 6-Speeder; 05-18-2007 at 07:01 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

both of those tire sizes are the same diameter, so that's not causing the speedo to be off. so a gear change is most likely, or VSS sensor going bad.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I forget how it works but isn't it something like if the gears are swapped (steeper gear)the speedo will read faster and if the tires are swapped (taller tire)it will read slower??? If those tires are the same diameter though that's a mute point.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 6-Speeder View Post
    #3 We unfortionatly noticed the speedometer is off anywhere from 10-20mph, but hey if i get a ticket im guarenteed to get out of it . Though i do want it fixed, any suggestions on what might need to be fixed, pricing, and if i could even do it myself.
    That's a false statement. You'll still get a ticket because you're responsible for the cars upkeep. Look at it this way, would you get out of it if your speedo wasn't working at all?

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Alright well sorry this has taken literally forever to update however i have good news. When i finally got my tires on friday it made all the difference in the world in driving, there is almost no vibration other than the usual vibration from the shifter. However i do have an interesting story on that part. The friday before i got my tires i was driving to my gfs house and i was shifting up from 2nd to 5th for fuel economy sake and all of a sudden i realize theres no gear, i try to shift ot others but there are no gears AT ALL it moves around like it not connected to anything... this defiantly made my heart sink to have to think that i suddenly had a potentially major transmission problem. I drifted into the next neghborhood and turn it off and make some calls... skip ahead when i got the right tools and got down past the boot and the cover i discovered another aftermarket part. A B&M short throw shifter... not bad, but anyway take off the shifter to discover (and to my relief) that what had broken was the shifter itself. Apparently the actual stainless steel rod had pretty much broken right in half right below the bottom of the shifter. I was very happy that it was not anything worse. So skip ahead i basiclly replaced it with the same part for now and the shifting problem i had is also gone. Though when we took it to carquest the guy there said he'd never seen one break. So God only knows why this happened. But so essentially my car is back to what it should feel like. Just need the A\c rehcharged or fixed since when they recharged it there was no cold air but they found no leak. Anyway just thought id update in case someone came across this thread with similar problems. Thanks for the help all!

Oh and the tire guys at costco came out to talk to me about my car they loved it

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Correct me if i'm wrong but calling slp won't do anything since it was never sent there...a WS7 is just a modded T/A that a owner wanted to badge but didn't want to make it a fake WS6?

Since the speedo is off(probably from the rear like everyone else is saying) I doubt your T/A was tuned after the headers, so you're probably running a little rich(kills power). If you're into handhelds the predator($400) is one of the best...you can fix your speedo and tune for a ballpark area A/F ratio. If you want to learn how to tune get hptuners..it's a little more expensive but is far superior to any handheld.

PBM
    2004 GTO M6 PBM

Ah yes i forgot to mention that SLP said they only did Firehawks, so yes you are correct. Though i certinly hope that im not running too rich, i do want a tuner but that will have to wait a little while. Thanks for the info though, i know it wasnt the guy i bought it from that did all the changes but the person before him. Im sure i can find someone with a OBD scanner that can be used on multiple vehicles to check and make sure its not running too rich. Thanks for the heads up.

Thread Information