red
    02 firebird

intial start up help

i have a 02 stock v6 and the first start up, before i drive it around.. it idles at 1000 and flutuates idle speed. but when i start driving for a while it idles well.. ive already put fuel system cleaner in it

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Searching for idle in a closed loop indicates a few things. MAF gone wacky or bad....clogged air filter....Clean your MAF....check your air filter and replace or clean it....pull your negative battery post and then turn your key on...leave it this way for 45 minutes.....now turn your key off and reconnect your negative battery post.....start your car...let it idle for a 3-5 minutes with AC on full blast...now turn off your AC and let it idle another 3-5 minutes.....now go drive around for awhile....this is forcing your PCM to relearn....let us know....

flat black
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    ....pull your negative battery post and then turn your key on...leave it this way for 45 minutes.....now turn your key off and reconnect your negative battery post...
    why dont you just pull the fuse labeled PCM BAT thats in the underhood fuse box?

I agree though check the PIDS see what you have...right them down, because if you dont know what your looking at you wont know how to fix it, and lets be honest who honestly has a good scan tool...not a code reader but a scan tool..A fault code is not a proper way to diagnose anything...honestly it could be anything

Bad MAF,MAP,IAC,EGR,EVAP Purge, Timing, Fuel, clogged/dirty air filter,AC(can cause a high idle), there are so many things that could cause this problem being able to properly diagnose it, and not just throw parts at the car is key

98 Formula
    06 duramax

That sounds like an open loop problem to me( cold start). Any mods to the car? Have you thrown any codes? Whatever is going on it sounds like the O2's are "fixing" it. How many miles on the car? You may try cleaning the MAF like Sarge recommended. I would also look for air leaks around the throttle body and check for vacuum leaks.

Thread Information