Thread: Intake issues

blue
    99z28 a4

Intake issues

Does my 98 z28 a4 need a tune to compensate for a bbk intake my mods are the intake a lid Macs with a x. Pipe rear o2 sims .... jus did thr plugs and wires the Pcv is custom and all there keeps throwing lean codes and a iac code randomly but iac is new

The fuel filter is new the fuel pressure is fine no vaccum leaks I'm kinda stumped never had the issue with the stock intake I can feel a slight difference but it's not worth burning up my pistons

Any help would be beneficial

Should I put the stock back on until I can get a proper tune ?
    01 black SS with a few slp options

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

In one simple word YES ! Send the pcm to Steve at Frost and have it tuned right.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ieatstangs View Post
    Does my 98 z28 a4 need a tune to compensate for a bbk intake my mods are the intake a lid Macs with a x. Pipe rear o2 sims .... jus did thr plugs and wires the Pcv is custom and all there keeps throwing lean codes and a iac code randomly but iac is new

The fuel filter is new the fuel pressure is fine no vaccum leaks I'm kinda stumped never had the issue with the stock intake I can feel a slight difference but it's not worth burning up my pistons

Any help would be beneficial

Should I put the stock back on until I can get a proper tune ?
    Agree with 2002ssslp...but what lean codes is it throwing?....what numbers?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any time you install new components that alter the air flow through the engine its volumetric efficiency (VE) changes. Within the tune, there is a VE table that should reflect the engine's actual VE and this, among other things that can be done in a tune, is what needs modified. Granted, the combination of the MAF, MAP and closed loop operation utilizing O2 sensor data can compensate for the changes to some extent, however it still needs a tune to run properly and to realize the greatest gains from your new parts. I have heard of intake leak issues with the BBK unit, so you may want to really check it carefully for a vacuum leak. If you need some testing options, let us know. Also, as requested, please post your codes.

blue
    99z28 a4

I can't remember the number but they were for lean bank 1 and 2 sometimes it's both other times it's jus bank 1 .....pAjeff where should I look for vaccum leaks ?

red
    2000 trans am ws6

sounds like a slight leak in intake.. while you will gain HP by getting a tune to maximize preformance I don't think it's 100% needed.. just switching out the intake would not cause lean conditions especially since the BBK doesn't flow alot more than stock or an LS6..
    eibach sportline springs,kyb shocks and struts,adj. panhard,LCAs with relocation brackets,strut tower brace, sub-frame connectors,poly motor mounts, LT headers,magnaflo catback,ORY pipe, SLP lid w/K&N, ram air mod,egr delete,PP TB,1000CFM MAF housing, LS6 intake,160 T-stat, tune by frost

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

P0175 or 176?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Leaks were at the intake seals against the heads, if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can find the thread I was thinking of.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok, found the thread. Looks like the OP there had issues with the intake not setting down against the heads. Apparently, the clips on the knock sensor harness have to removed and there may have been an issue with the coolant air bleed tubes. He also re-used his stock o-rings which is never a good idea.

blue
    99z28 a4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ok, found the thread. Looks like the OP there had issues with the intake not setting down against the heads. Apparently, the clips on the knock sensor harness have to removed and there may have been an issue with the coolant air bleed tubes. He also re-used his stock o-rings which is never a good idea.

I'm confused what does this mean?

I replaced my engine cover bolt with a hex bolt as the instructions said

I want to take it off n double check but I have to get another set of gaskets ..,

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Blindly guessing he is referring to the valley cover tray bolts. They sit up quite a bit.

Are you using the LS1 coolant tubes or LS6 coolant bypass?

I'm waiting on a buddy that has a BBK intake to get back with me on how he did his.

blue
    99z28 a4

I'm using the stock ls1 coolant tubes that's kinda why i went bbk ( and it was free lol) but I figured there was nothing needed

blue
    99z28 a4

Ok I got it tuned and it came back so I checked fuel pressure and it's good ... We found a leak near the front of the intake ..It seems to be sitting up a lil on the front coolant tube .should I change the coolant pipe ? and or who has the best kit thanks in advance I saw Texas speed has one

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

look for LS6 coolant bypass kit.

Thread Information