green
    94 z28

Installing a custom hood I made?

Alright, I plan on making a fiberglass hood replica of my current hood to save some weight. It will be 4-5 layers of fiberglass that will be molded from the top of my current stock hood.

My question is, what would be the best way to connect it to the car? I don't have to have anything that holds it up because it will be so light anyways. I plan on making it my full-time hood as soon as I get it painted so I'd like if it didn't rattle any as well.

Also about the painting, would I have to put a think layer of body filler on it in order to paint it? Or would just sanding the fiberglass to smooth it out good and then some primer and then paint work?

I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

I'm thinking u want race weight with the practicality of a daily driver..?
    what hood do u have now? doesn't someone make a 'glass hood that u like as far as looks go? u might b better off saving some cash and just buying one. Your time invested in it if u build it yourself would not b worth it unless u had some special feature/scoop/cowl molded into it. It probably wont turn out too Show unless u or someone u know is a bodyman... just my opinion tho... Iv'e thought about it myself and figure it's not worth my time and i don't have a place to work on it... good luck whatever your decision...
    C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Desktop\sig01.jpg

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by davebowtie View Post
    I'm thinking u want race weight with the practicality of a daily driver..?
    what hood do u have now? doesn't someone make a 'glass hood that u like as far as looks go? u might b better off saving some cash and just buying one. Your time invested in it if u build it yourself would not b worth it unless u had some special feature/scoop/cowl molded into it. It probably wont turn out too Show unless u or someone u know is a bodyman... just my opinion tho... Iv'e thought about it myself and figure it's not worth my time and i don't have a place to work on it... good luck whatever your decision...
    Well, that's the thing. I'm mainly doing it for practice. I am, in fact, starting college in a few days for autobody repair in a few weeks and that is when I'll be getting it painted. I also like the idea of me being able to say "hey, I made that!" about things for my car.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Well, you would be best off by making it mount off the stock hinges, and close with HOOD PINS(a must must must must).

You are going to have to find something to act as a spacer, since the way you are going to be making the hood isn't the "right way" and won't have any mounting points...

Actually, scratch all that... after I think about it some more, I really don't think it is a good idea at all. It simply is not safe. By making it from your stock hood, all you will have is a flat(contoured) peice of fiberglass that looks like a camaro hood, but is lacking the mounting points, and any kind of structural strength to speak of... The mounting angles will be all screwy, any sort of drilling will weaken in even further, and any error in the location, size or strength in the mounting job would cause a vibration at highway speeds that would cause that sucker to fall apart at dangerous speeds. Which is bad for you, your car, and anybody around you on the road. Cheapo CF hoods that have proper mounting locations and reinforcments still explode every now and then....

I just think its a bad idea... sorry.

White
    98 Trans AM

I gotta agree with B34M3R and say don't do this. I am all for you wanting to learn how to make this hood but don't use your DD as a test bed for it. Keep yourself and others safe!!!

In looking at my hood it has support ridges and mounting points on it that you would need to do. Go ahead and work on it but be safe and don't put it on your daily driven car.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Thread Information