White
    1998 Camaro

Info on headers, intake, cam

Okay I'm wanting to put on some aftermarket headers, intake, and a cam. I have been reading on the forms and it sounds like the best bang for the buck is Pacesetters ceramic coated LT Headers. For an intake I was thinking about SLP intake made espically for 98-99 Camaro. The intake allows you to keep all of your EGR and emission crap without having to make modifications if you where to use the ls6 intake. Does anybody know of another intake like the SLP that may be better? And for a cam, not real sure.....just throw your ideas on here. Any suggestions are welcomed. My budget for this project is around 1,400 dollars.
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

1st: I bet this gets moved (just a guess).
    2nd: $1400 isn't going to get all 3 unless you get killer deals and do all the work. Maybe not even then.
    3rd: LT's are great but work best with a true dual setup.
    4th: I don't know anything about SLP except they are the most expensive stuff available.
    5th: Any type of worthwhile cam will be wanting a cam kit (among other things for install) and will only work properly with supporting mods (intake and exhaust).

Sorry if this isn't much help. Like I said it'll probably get moved to an area with more knowledgeable folks.

White
    1998 Camaro

What do you mean move? I posted the thread in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to post it, lol. I was thinking $500, $500 for intake, and $500 for a cam kit. I'm going to be doing all the installation.

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Stuff is expensive!!! would love to buy some more parts for my car, but there are other priorities that i have to take care of at the moment! I have Dynatech LT headers on my car with their y-pipe and high flow cats. When i put them on i was throwing a catalyst deficiency code. I used O2 simulators, but a better choice would be removing the code completely from the system, you can do the same with the EGR valve on the intake. i used the SLP intake with the EGR provision, but its expensive considering you can pull the intake of a 01-02 LS1 and have the same intake without the EGR fitting. the cam, i would match it to the transmission you have (auto, stall speed or manual with rear end gears in consideration) there are definitely people here that can better help you in picking the right cam for your car and what you want it to do. but, overall i hear that these cars respond better with added duration than overall lift, but you just don't want to over do it, you'll sacrifice low end torque, its important to find that happy medium in a street driven car.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

That slp ls-6 intake is going to cost you 500-600 bucks-waste of money especially since you cut out your cats might as well just get rid of the egr and air. Is the car an m6 or a4? If it's an a4 you'll need a stall for that cam unless you want to ever use first gear again.

White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by toothdoc View Post
    I have an LS6 cam, valvesprings and pushrods out of an LS6 crate engine that was never turned over. Should easily give you 20+ hp over stock. Let me know if you are interested.
    How much would you sell them. And what are the specs on the LS6 cam is it a hot one ls6 or standard ls6, if possible could you list the specs on the springs. Or I can try and find them on the internet if you don't know.

-Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Yeah, I understand how money really controls what you plan to do with regard to mods, but I think you can shop around and find some reasonable deals. I think ceramic coated pacesetters are great as an initial bolt-on, and a good flowing intake will really set that off. When you talk abot a cam, its important to upgrade many of the internals (springs, lifters, pushrods, injectors, and often the heads are replaced to maximize the potential of the cam), which can get expensive quickly if you're concerned with quality. While some decide to go "cam-only" it isn't a bad idea to upgrade at least some of your valvetrain, and then there is always the tune to be considered. So, sorry for being so long-winded, but I think your best bet is to look into the LTs as you mentioned, and then perhaps a nice intake/tb combo - I went with FAST/NW 92, but that will put you over your budget. If you can find a ported ls6 or FAST 90, those should also work nicely. Just some ideas to throw around - good luck with the build!

White
    1998 Camaro

How do I tell if my Camaro is an a4 or m6, I'm guessing by the VIN Code?

red
    1998 Z/28 LS6 crate

A4 = automatic 4 speed trans
    M6 = 6 speed manual

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sorry, can't sell out of the for sale area and can't sell at all on the site with less than 100 posts.

black
    2000 camaro ss

its all the little shit that adds up----oil pump/timing chain kit=$350 cam install gasket kit(front cover,cam bearing,valve cover gasket) $70 waterpump $130-250 . if your gonna swap the cam your gonna need to do some work on the heads. valve springs,lifters,pushrods ect....... im rt in the middle of all this now and im giong to be OVER 6k and i allready have all the bolt on stuff including long tubes. good luck man

White
    1998 Camaro

Wow I feel stuiped! It's a m6. I guess I just didn't catch the abbreviation.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

we have all asked that question better to just get it out of the way.

Thread Information