40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 567891011121329394959 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey Sarge; While I am shopping for oils what would be the best fluid for my tranny and rear end? ...

pet_monk
    Hey Sarge;

While I am shopping for oils what would be the best fluid for my tranny and rear end? Was looking at the Mobil 1 Syn Dex III and hadn't found one for the rear end yet.

The only reason I am changing the fluid in the rear end is because after the military shipped my car over here the rear end started to leak, but not enough to drip yet. It has fluid all over the place and this weekend I am going to wash it off and see if the fluid shows back up.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by pet_monk
    Hey Sarge;

While I am shopping for oils what would be the best fluid for my tranny and rear end? Was looking at the Mobil 1 Syn Dex III and hadn't found one for the rear end yet.

The only reason I am changing the fluid in the rear end is because after the military shipped my car over here the rear end started to leak, but not enough to drip yet. It has fluid all over the place and this weekend I am going to wash it off and see if the fluid shows back up.
    Rear End fluid....Royal Purple 85-140...best damn rear end fluid on the planet....friction modifiers are already in it......your choice of ATF is good.....be sure and pump the new fluid in ( talking your trannie here) versus drain and fill....drain and fill doesn't get the old fluid out of the converter etc.

pet_monk
    Never done tranny fluid like that always done the drain and fill. How would I go about pumping it in. Rear end fluid is cool because i saw that at the local parts store.

Sarge,
    Sounds like because of where he is stationed, may not have access to a flush type of fill. If that is the case, could always drop the pan (drain & re-install), re-fill the pan via the dip stick tube, disconnect the transmission return line from the radiator, start the car & pump the fluid from the lines & torque converter out one quart @ a time. If this method is chosen, be sure to only leave the car running long enough to drain one quart @ a time only. Re-fill the lost fluid through the dip stick tube & drain the next quart until the new fluid starts to come out. When finished reconnect the line from the radiator, check the level & you're done. If Mobil one is chosen, get type G.

Sarge, another question. Have you found Royal Purple to perform better than Red-line in the rear? Is 85-140 thin enough to climb the gears? Am asking 'cuz I have searched for something a little better for the rear end & it sounds like you have found the solution. How is Royal Purple with heat? Does it run cooler? Thank-you

pet_monk
    Torque converter?? It is the six speed manual. FYI I am going to be replacing the clutch the same time I replace the tranny fluid. I am replacing the fluid, because the tranny is starting to shift a little notchy after having it shipped over here....

I think the kids that drove my car while in transport liked my little long skinny pedel.

Quote Originally Posted by pet_monk
    Torque converter?? It is the six speed manual.

Oops, Assumed an automatic transmission because a manual is so simple to change wouldn't think anyone would be asking about it & Sarge replied with "your choice of AFT.....". Honest mistake.

pet_monk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Rear End fluid....Royal Purple 85-140...best damn rear end fluid on the planet....friction modifiers are already in it......your choice of ATF is good.....be sure and pump the new fluid in ( talking your trannie here) versus drain and fill....drain and fill doesn't get the old fluid out of the converter etc.
    Sarge said to pump in new fluid and not to drain and fill and I didn't catch the end. That is what happens when you are tired and trying to read. I have done fluid swaps on manuals before, and that is why I was like pump in new fluid?? Thought Sarge knew some super secret ninja trick that I hadn't learned yet.

Once I figured out you were both talking bout a auto I knew exactly what you were talking about, but have never actually done it. Was always to lazy with my autos to do them myself, they were all mercurys and lincolns so with the amount of fluid it took it was worth just letting a shop do them.

About the ATF that is what the manual calls for. Is there something better I should look at?

Thanks though
    Last edited by pet_monk; 10-27-2005 at 09:28 PM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Rear End fluid....Royal Purple 85-140...best damn rear end fluid on the planet....friction modifiers are already in it......
    That good, eh? Anybody else using this? If it's that good, I think I might try it out myself....

pet_monk
    Is there something other than Dex III I should think about putting in the tranny? Or is that the best?

Right now I have my E3 plugs and K&N oil filter on the way. The Mobil 1 0-40 is in the garage waiting for the the K&N. The Royal Purple 85-140 is right next to it waiting for me to get the car on a lift. I as of right now have a case of Mobil 1 Dex III on order.

After this I hope my baby feels like a new girl.

crayz28
    Mobil one

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450
    Sarge, another question. Have you found Royal Purple to perform better than Red-line in the rear? Is 85-140 thin enough to climb the gears? Am asking 'cuz I have searched for something a little better for the rear end & it sounds like you have found the solution. How is Royal Purple with heat? Does it run cooler? Thank-you

Sarge,

Figured you haven't see the question or maybe you've grown tired of this thread. Have asked about the 85-140 thickness because have seen tests where thicker oils kinda push off to the sides & don't climb the gears. Am asking about heat 'cuz my duals run about 1/2" away from either side of the rear end.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450
    Sarge,

Figured you haven't see the question or maybe you've grown tired of this thread. Have asked about the 85-140 thickness because have seen tests where thicker oils kinda push off to the sides & don't climb the gears. Am asking about heat 'cuz my duals run about 1/2" away from either side of the rear end.
    Hell I'm sorry man...did not see it.....yeah my pipes clear the Harrop Diff Cover by about a 1/4 inch or the same size as Zboners Johnson.....I wrapped the pipes with header wrap to prevent them from 'cooking" the diff fluid.....I was a little concerned myself about the heavier oil......I had Amsoil in there....75-140....with the Amsoil Friction Modifier...had some chatter...and a little posi slippage when powering out of a corner....all that shit stopped the second I changed it out with the Royal Purple....as for the climbing and seperation...the VOA on the Royal Purple shows some outstanding VI...so I seriously doubt any seperation issues....Hell look at the cSt @100c...compared to the other leading synthetics....

BlackHawk T/A
    Where do those numbers come from?

Black
    99 SS

why does my name always come up in every post?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
    Where do those numbers come from?
    Manufacturers spec sheets.

Hell I'm sorry man...did not see it.....yeah my pipes clear the Harrop Diff Cover by about a 1/4 inch.....I was a little concerned myself about the heavier oil......I had Amsoil in there....75-140....with the Amsoil Friction Modifier...had some chatter...and a little posi slippage when powering out of a corner....all that shit stopped the second I changed it out with the Royal Purple....as for the climbing and seperation...the VOA on the Royal Purple shows some outstanding VI...so I seriously doubt any seperation issues....

Cool, thanks for the response.

nufkts
    The best motor oil out there period is Amsoil. Benn running the stuff for many a yr. and so have most of my friends. Not 1 single problem with it, use it in everything I own and all fluids not just engine oil in the cars. Transmissions reaer end etc. Would not put broken down Dinosaur shit in my car ever again.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Royal Purple all around!!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

where do you buy amsoil?? I've never seen it at any autopart store.

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    where do you buy amsoil?? I've never seen it at any autopart store.
    It is not sold in chains. Dealers only.

Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 567891011121329394959 ... LastLast

Thread Information