View Poll Results: What Oil Do You Use

Voters
487. You may not vote on this poll
  • Synthetic

    424 87.06%
  • Dino

    40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

    17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

    6 1.23%
Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 45678910111228384858 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 1384
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by The Rookie Mobile one Synthetic Wix Filters I didn't see anyone say Wix. Isn't Wix a good ...

  1. #141
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie
    Mobile one Synthetic
    Wix Filters

    I didn't see anyone say Wix. Isn't Wix a good filter or do I need to change?
    WIX is dayum good. NAPA/Bosch all good.
    Fram is bad....very bad....

  2. #142
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    WIX is dayum good. NAPA/Bosch all good.
    Fram is bad....very bad....
    Wix is a good filter. And yes, stay away from Fram.

    I know some people who still claim that Fram is the best, period. No matter what is shown to them, they still claim Fram is it and that's why they use it. Whenever filter talk comes up, they spout off about Fram being the best and that if you don't use it, you must be stupid or wasting your money, etc. I just tell them to keep using their Frams and I'll keep using what I use.

    I guess some people listen to advertising as if it is divine scripture.

  3. #143
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Well Gator....Fram used to be the best out there when they were made here in the states by Champion. Now of course they are cardboard glued together by WayHung Lo out in the back giggle weeds of Outer Southeastern BombCrater Rice PaddyVille or some such shit.....So folks just see Fram....know that is what Dad and Grandpa used for a kabillion miles on the old family car....and there you have it...branded imprinted sacked and delivered....
    Sorta like that good looking cheerleader back in High School....you whack meat on her all day long...still have her perky lil ass and tits bouncing around imprinted in your brain all these years.....then you go to your 30th High School reunion and she looks like your Uncle Wilbur with no teeth....That would pretty much sum up the Fram story I do believe
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

  4. #144
    Senior Member 02z28ls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    near St. Louis
    Posts
    1,205

    navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

    OK-now I'm not going to my reunion!Anything else you gonna ruin for me?LMAO

  5. #145
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Well put, Sarge. Yep, Fram was great quite a while back. Nice analogy with that cheeleader back in High School.

  6. #146
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Blackstone Labs UOA 600HP LS1 Amsoil 0-30

    New Heads/Cam/Pistons/Rods 1000 miles ago. Running Nitrous/forged bottom end. Brutal 1000 miles for sure. I ask the question on the viscosity to solicit an opinion of the lab tech .... I am very impressed with the wear numbers considering all the new parts and the conditions. I solicit your opinions/observations.....

  7. #147
    02 WS6
    Guest
    Im also a oil junkie.....I change my oil every Sunday when I wash the T/A. I worked at a Autozone and "stored" a skid of GC 0w-30 in my garage for them...when I left they never asked for it back...maybe because they did'nt know I had it....anyway I ended up with 55 cases (12-1qt bottles)...660 qts....so I figure at 6 per week, I will have the whole skid gone in 2 years. It only takes 10 minutes and gives me a piece of mind, plus something to do with all that oil I have sitting there. I average between 40 and 250 miles between oil changes. The oil always comes out clean too. I change the filter every month, since I forgot to get them with my severance package from Autozone and I have to pay for them.

    After reading all of that most people will say im crazy....but im not...im just bullshitting everyone.

    I change my oil every 3k with GC 0w-30 and Mobil m-206 filter....gonna try the K&N next time....and I only have 12 qts of GC....but it feels like im running low

  8. #148
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by 02 WS6
    Im also a oil junkie.....I change my oil every Sunday when I wash the T/A. I worked at a Autozone and "stored" a skid of GC 0w-30 in my garage for them...when I left they never asked for it back...maybe because they did'nt know I had it....anyway I ended up with 55 cases (12-1qt bottles)...660 qts....so I figure at 6 per week, I will have the whole skid gone in 2 years. It only takes 10 minutes and gives me a piece of mind, plus something to do with all that oil I have sitting there. I average between 40 and 250 miles between oil changes. The oil always comes out clean too. I change the filter every month, since I forgot to get them with my severance package from Autozone and I have to pay for them.

    After reading all of that most people will say im crazy....but im not...im just bullshitting everyone.

    I change my oil every 3k with GC 0w-30 and Mobil m-206 filter....gonna try the K&N next time....and I only have 12 qts of GC....but it feels like im running low
    This what 30-40 quarts of M03/M04 GC 0-30 looks like in real life

  9. #149
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    The case of Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 arrived today. I'll change the oil in the next few days.

  10. #150
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    The case of Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 arrived today. I'll change the oil in the next few days.
    It's damn good stuff man....

  11. #151
    TA2FST4U TA2FST4U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    46

    Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Mobil 1 Synthetic in our TA. Nothing but the best

  12. #152
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    OK, I changed oil today and now I'm in Amsoil territory.

  13. #153
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    OK, I changed oil today and now I'm in Amsoil territory.
    Lets hear your thoughts/ observations man....what does the butt dyno say?

  14. #154
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Well, I've got about 170 miles with Amsoil now. It's does sound a little different -- smoother, I'd say. ...like it's running easier. The butt dyno says it's stronger. I'll see over the next few tanks how the mileage compares, especially with a road trip coming up in a few days (about 1100 miles round trip). At this point, I am well pleased.

  15. #155
    BlackHawk T/A
    Guest
    Yeah the butt dyno tells me there is an improvement over the dino oil but...no change in mileage. Over 238.4 miles I averaged 18mpg in normal city driving without going WOT once, which is pretty much the same as before. The car is throwing P0430 - cat codes now (some bank below threshold) which could be coincidence but I doubt it. It's not a big deal because they will be coming off in the near future anyway...

    I really need to find time to diagnose this goddamn ticking noise...oh and the metal rattle (2 different sounds)

  16. #156
    Senior Member SeVeReDiStOrTiOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    8,164

    05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
    oh and the metal rattle (2 different sounds)
    I had a really bad metal rattle also...and guess what it was...






    c'mon guess.....















    the o2 sensors...the stock ones have a metal ring at the beginning of the wiring...the damn things were rattleing against the bottom on the o2 sensor I replaced all 4 with bosch 02's and it's quiet as a mofo now...some people think bosch o2's are shit but their half the price as the dealer ones and they work great so far

  17. #157
    BlackHawk T/A
    Guest
    Yeah that's what I expect it to be, especially after doing some more listening.

    I also think my tapping sound could be an exhaust leak and not engine related...

    So when I swap out my exhaust I hope to cure both issues at once.

  18. #158
    pet_monk
    Guest
    Well I am currently running Mobil 1 5-30 with a Fram filter, but it looks like atleast part of that is changing real quickly. Fram evil needs to leave my baby now, but Mobil 1 can stay for now.

    I didn't realize there were that many things to think about when changing your oil. Was kinda like well if the manufacturer says it is good i must be.

    I am currently in stationed in Germany and was curious about the German Castrol everyone talks about. I guess it is kinda rare in the state? Is there something special I should look for when I go to the local parts store and buy Castrol? Don't know if I can get Amsoil shipped through the USPS over here.

    Also with an unmodded LS1 what would my best move be to a 0-30 or something else. Nothing is better than getting out on the Autobahn and letting that 5.7 stretch her legs. However, I don't want my baby to crap out at 100+mph.

    Thanks guys all the info on here is helping me a lot.

  19. #159
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by pet_monk
    Well I am currently running Mobil 1 5-30 with a Fram filter, but it looks like atleast part of that is changing real quickly. Fram evil needs to leave my baby now, but Mobil 1 can stay for now.

    I didn't realize there were that many things to think about when changing your oil. Was kinda like well if the manufacturer says it is good i must be.

    I am currently in stationed in Germany and was curious about the German Castrol everyone talks about. I guess it is kinda rare in the state? Is there something special I should look for when I go to the local parts store and buy Castrol? Don't know if I can get Amsoil shipped through the USPS over here.

    Also with an unmodded LS1 what would my best move be to a 0-30 or something else. Nothing is better than getting out on the Autobahn and letting that 5.7 stretch her legs. However, I don't want my baby to crap out at 100+mph.

    Thanks guys all the info on here is helping me a lot.
    I'll answer the German Castrol issue first. Ol Patman got that "craze" started here in the States....it is a very unique PAO blend utilizing some never seen before UOA's ( Used Oil Analysis)....unreal wear numbers in LS1's.....of course Castrol being the slippery bastards they are....have a bullshit version of Castrol 0-30 made here in the states that in reality is a GrpII/III with some synthetic add packs....no better than Havoline dino oil IMHO but 3X the price...so we all have to run around AutoZones looking for Red Label Made In Germany bottles produced before 05......to further confuse the issue and pee on the GC parade...Castrol changed the mix of the German Castrol...so instead of the green elixer of the gods...suddenly in 03/05 it changes to Gold stuff....VOA (Virgin Oil Anlasys) confirms a change....so the jury is out if the "new" GC 0-30 is worth the $5 bucks a quart......
    My personal opinion is Mobil 1 is as good as the 05 German Castrol 0-30....
    As for the 0-30 viscosity...basically it is a thicker 30 weight than most 5-30's....LS1's like a thicker oil than 5-30's...many utilize 10-40/0-40/0-30...the 0 part allows much quicker flow at startup than the 5 viscosity....significant percentage of critical wear occurs at start up...so getting quality oil to those vital parts faster is a very good thing.....
    Amsoil is a 100% synthetic and has superior cleaning/wear/flow/performance/extended drain numbers than most of the semi synthetics being marketed as full synthetics....but I'm not sure you can import nor would I even bother with all the great oils you have in Germany....
    I'f I were you I would be utilizing Mobil1 5-40 or 0-40 with a AC Delco or KN oil filter....and let her rip there buddy....

  20. #160
    pet_monk
    Guest
    Well thanks Sarge... looks like I need to go shoppin and do an oil change.

Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 45678910111228384858 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Conversion junkie
    By workingdog in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2016, 03:09 PM
  2. When do you know your a junkie
    By jakesz28 in forum Nitrous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
  3. Southern IN Speed Junkie
    By badblazeSS in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
  4. hey ls1 junkie in ga
    By blackbirdpr1 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 07:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •