View Poll Results: What Oil Do You Use

Voters
487. You may not vote on this poll
  • Synthetic

    424 87.06%
  • Dino

    40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

    17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

    6 1.23%
Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19293949656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1384
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm betting all us GTO owners are curious about the black beast......

  1. #1361
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19

    red
    2004 M6 GTO, 383 stroker

    I'm betting all us GTO owners are curious about the black beast...

  2. #1362
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,484

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    A/K/A "Oprah" if I recall.

  3. #1363
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Pristine. I only drive her about 1 a month now. She has 17K original miles.
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

  4. #1364
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    19

    red
    2004 M6 GTO, 383 stroker

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Pristine. I only drive her about 1 a month now. She has 17K original miles.
    My 04 is a Hurst GTO, Only has 23k on the chassis, the engine less than 4k, a new built 383 stroker eagle, Trickflow Heads, American Racing Headers, New Kevlar Clutch, Hurst Shifter. Im gonna put the Fast 92/92mm Intake/TB Combo on there, Dewitts Rad with built in oil cooler, and Id like to get a 1 piece driveshaft in there. Ill prolly throw the Trickflow/KN CAI on there as well.

    Would love to do Harrop Diff Cover as well and Brakes....

  5. #1365
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    I have 1 piece DS and Harrop and Porsche axles. Koni adjustable on and on. Pedders bushings tightened things up nicely.

  6. #1366
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,472

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    I'm a Oil Junkie

    Welcome back Sarge!!


    extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

  7. #1367
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    25

    black
    02 trans am

    What do you guys think of Valvoline synpower 5w30 for the ls1?

  8. #1368
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,484

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Have not looked into it. Been running Penzoil Platinum for the last several years now.

  9. #1369
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    25

    black
    02 trans am

    How is the valve train noise with the Pennzoil Platinum?

  10. #1370
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,447

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I have used Pennzoil Platinum for the last 16 years I have owned my 2002 Camaro SS. Zero issues.
    It's on jackstands.

  11. #1371
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,484

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by 02nhrals1 View Post
    How is the valve train noise with the Pennzoil Platinum?
    Nothing over and above the inherent noise characteristics of an LS engine.

  12. #1372
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    13
    2002 TA WS6

    I’m not sure if this is where to post a question about oil, if not, the mod can delete it.

    For 15 years of owning my WS6 and having the oil changed, it's always been filled with Pennzoil full synthetic oil and a filter good for 15k miles, even though I never wait that long. I had it changed the other day and found out the mechanic didn’t use synthetic oil. Some people are telling me it has to be changed asap or it can can mess up the engine. Is it true once synthetic is used you can’t have regular oil used?

  13. #1373
    Member SuperSSguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by shelly View Post
    Iím not sure if this is where to post a question about oil, if not, the mod can delete it.

    For 15 years of owning my WS6 and having the oil changed, it's always been filled with Pennzoil full synthetic oil and a filter good for 15k miles, even though I never wait that long. I had it changed the other day and found out the mechanic didnít use synthetic oil. Some people are telling me it has to be changed asap or it can can mess up the engine. Is it true once synthetic is used you canít have regular oil used?
    You kind of answered your own question..If for 15 years you had the oil changed and used the synthetic oil then I would stick with that!!...Why did they use non synth oil? Did you request this? If not I would have asked them to replace it free of charge..unless you did not discuss it with them but in any case the shop in question is not very trustworthy as they should have known that that car should have synthetic!!As far as "messing up the engine" Im sure there will be varying answers and opinions soon to be here! But MOST cars engines were tested and designed to run on a certain type and viscosity of oil to get the most life and less wear on them. So if your engine came from the factory using say Mobil one 5-30 synthetic..I would not think that another brand with the same viscosity (weight) would do much harm if any at all! The main thing is to stick with the type and weight that the manufactures suggested and that is in your cars manual...There are exceptions like if you live in the desert or sub freezing arctic...LOL...But Id stick with what the manufactures suggest! I really doubt ( In fact it wont!) Immediately implode or explode but me personally would NOT have that nasty dino oil in my ride...LOL...

  14. #1374
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    13
    2002 TA WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    You kind of answered your own question..If for 15 years you had the oil changed and used the synthetic oil then I would stick with that!!...Why did they use non synth oil? Did you request this? If not I would have asked them to replace it free of charge..unless you did not discuss it with them but in any case the shop in question is not very trustworthy as they should have known that that car should have synthetic!!As far as "messing up the engine" Im sure there will be varying answers and opinions soon to be here! But MOST cars engines were tested and designed to run on a certain type and viscosity of oil to get the most life and less wear on them. So if your engine came from the factory using say Mobil one 5-30 synthetic..I would not think that another brand with the same viscosity (weight) would do much harm if any at all! The main thing is to stick with the type and weight that the manufactures suggested and that is in your cars manual...There are exceptions like if you live in the desert or sub freezing arctic...LOL...But Id stick with what the manufactures suggest! I really doubt ( In fact it wont!) Immediately implode or explode but me personally would NOT have that nasty dino oil in my ride...LOL...

    It was very clear that I wanted full synthetic oil used, especially since I bought the filter good for 15k miles and had the Pennzoil Full Synthetic Oil in my car for the mechanic to use and I was only paying him labor to change it.

    The only reason of having him change it is since he was changing the fuel filter.

    The oil filter they used is a cheap 3k filter, they stole $30 wipers out of my car and charged me $14 labor for wipers. When calling to ask what that was about, they said the Rain-X wipers I had didn't have clips so they couldn't use them. I said the wipers were in a bag that was tied closed with a sweatshirt covering it along with a windshield sun shade over it and they had no right taking them out of my car and keeping them, like I wouldn't notice they were gone. They say they forgot to put them back and if I really want them, I can come pick them up. My friend who told me about this mechanic went to the shop when telling him that day what happened. The oil filter was on the work bench still in the box, the oil was not opened and the wipers were sitting there unopened, so not sure how they could say the clips were missing when they didn't open the package. I ended up paying $75 for an oil change ($59 oil & filter, $16 labor) when it was a cheap filter and oil that I could have gone elsewhere and paid $20 for that crappy service.

  15. #1375
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,484

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Sorry to hear. They jacked you over good on that one. To answer your question, conventional oil is not going to hurt anything. Pull the dipstick though and make sure that it is in fact "new oil" in your engine. You can either run what is in it for 3,000 miles, or change the oil again and install the filter and oil that you normally utilize. I also utilize Penzoil Platinum in our cars.

  16. #1376
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    13
    2002 TA WS6

    Thanks for the reply pajeff02. I feel better now knowing the oil will be ok for at least 3,000 miles but it'll be changed sooner. Didn't really want to go buy the $60 oil and filter to have it done right away if it didn't need to be. It is new oil, already checked that.

  17. #1377
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,484

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Just keep an eye on things since they half-assed the job. You may want to check both the filter and drain plug bolt for tightness...

  18. #1378
    Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Henryetta/Tulsa Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,471

    Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by shelly View Post
    It was very clear that I wanted full synthetic oil used, especially since I bought the filter good for 15k miles and had the Pennzoil Full Synthetic Oil in my car for the mechanic to use and I was only paying him labor to change it.

    The only reason of having him change it is since he was changing the fuel filter.

    The oil filter they used is a cheap 3k filter, they stole $30 wipers out of my car and charged me $14 labor for wipers. When calling to ask what that was about, they said the Rain-X wipers I had didn't have clips so they couldn't use them. I said the wipers were in a bag that was tied closed with a sweatshirt covering it along with a windshield sun shade over it and they had no right taking them out of my car and keeping them, like I wouldn't notice they were gone. They say they forgot to put them back and if I really want them, I can come pick them up. My friend who told me about this mechanic went to the shop when telling him that day what happened. The oil filter was on the work bench still in the box, the oil was not opened and the wipers were sitting there unopened, so not sure how they could say the clips were missing when they didn't open the package. I ended up paying $75 for an oil change ($59 oil & filter, $16 labor) when it was a cheap filter and oil that I could have gone elsewhere and paid $20 for that crappy service.
    Countless stories like this (and some worse) are why I do all of my own maintenance. Even on my 2016, I had 2 free oil changes from the dealership that I opted out of because I didn't want some yayhoo screwing things up on my car...
    I only take my car in for warranty work, and that still makes me shudder in fear of what they could do wrong.

    I'm sorry you had to go through this, I hope you can find a reputable shop in the future.

  19. #1379
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,579

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Changing my oil is kind of a pain in the butt for me anymore. So, I take my oil and filter down, hand them over and stand there and watch. I never drop my car off. It's sad, but that's the way you have to do it.

  20. #1380
    Senior Member raynor139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,299

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shelly View Post
    It was very clear that I wanted full synthetic oil used, especially since I bought the filter good for 15k miles and had the Pennzoil Full Synthetic Oil in my car for the mechanic to use and I was only paying him labor to change it.

    The only reason of having him change it is since he was changing the fuel filter.

    The oil filter they used is a cheap 3k filter, they stole $30 wipers out of my car and charged me $14 labor for wipers. When calling to ask what that was about, they said the Rain-X wipers I had didn't have clips so they couldn't use them. I said the wipers were in a bag that was tied closed with a sweatshirt covering it along with a windshield sun shade over it and they had no right taking them out of my car and keeping them, like I wouldn't notice they were gone. They say they forgot to put them back and if I really want them, I can come pick them up. My friend who told me about this mechanic went to the shop when telling him that day what happened. The oil filter was on the work bench still in the box, the oil was not opened and the wipers were sitting there unopened, so not sure how they could say the clips were missing when they didn't open the package. I ended up paying $75 for an oil change ($59 oil & filter, $16 labor) when it was a cheap filter and oil that I could have gone elsewhere and paid $20 for that crappy service.
    Countless stories like this (and some worse) are why I do all of my own maintenance. Even on my 2016, I had 2 free oil changes from the dealership that I opted out of because I didn't want some yayhoo screwing things up on my car...
    I only take my car in for warranty work, and that still makes me shudder in fear of what they could do wrong.

    I'm sorry you had to go through this, I hope you can find a reputable shop in the future.
    Can't tell you how many times I've seen stories of people with 6th gen camaros being shorted on oil at the dealership.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19293949656667686970 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Conversion junkie
    By workingdog in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2016, 02:09 PM
  2. When do you know your a junkie
    By jakesz28 in forum Nitrous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 11:02 AM
  3. Southern IN Speed Junkie
    By badblazeSS in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 09:25 AM
  4. hey ls1 junkie in ga
    By blackbirdpr1 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 06:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •