• Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10203040565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1384
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; was '08 sm rated or does schaeffer not do the api rating?...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

was '08 sm rated or does schaeffer not do the api rating?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Amsoil/Shaeffers/Royal Purple/Red Line et al only pay the API fee on certain products but not all. It doesnt matter much anymore anyway as GM has their own rating system now....

Red Maple Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

Slick 50...

My father used to go with Slick 50 additive in his four cylinder Dodge Spirit. He drove as his job, so it was used all/every day in northern Michigan's sometimes brutal conditions. He changed his oil frequently along with good regular maintenance. The engine saw approx. 500,000 miles before it's demise which was due to accident, not engine failure....I know he used many different oil brands, one of his favorites being Castrol. I was younger and not as interested in oil when he was part of my life (sadly accident took him from us), so I don't know if the oil was synthetic or not. It is my theory that using a variety of different oils can be beneficial, and I am currently testing this theory, without the use of additives though.

P.S. Thanx Sarge, I greatly appreciate your efforts...I love to see people who keep it real and help the rest of us cut through all the propeganda....
    Last edited by lordchz; 02-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I think slick 50 has been taken off the market,the teflon in it didn't do as they claimed.or something like that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Impounded
    gmcheviac

slick 50 is sold at O'reilly as of today

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

So it is,maybe it should have been taken off the market,University of Utah found it actually increased engine wear.

" the same tests concluded that "There was a pressure drop across the oil filter resulting from possible clogging of small passageways." Oil analysis showed that iron contamination doubled after the treatment, indicating that engine wear increased ."

the whole artice...http://www.skepdic.com/slick50.html
    Last edited by 02transamce; 02-12-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

With todays SN rated oil I see no benefit anymore to any oil additive being added to a clean running engine. Least of all is Slick50.

Red Maple Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

Today I was browsing Walmart's section of oil and found it pretty funny...Walmart's brand of oil SuperTech was SN rated, yet many national brands including Castrol, Mobile, and others were not. It may just be an old bottle issue, cuz cheapest always sellz...but it still tickled me...hee, hee....

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    With todays SN rated oil I see no benefit anymore to any oil additive being added to a clean running engine. Least of all is Slick50.
    Hello,

I've seriously been searching through the internet for hours and i'm yet to find what oil i should be putting in my car, could you please help me.

I have an L76 with 96,000k's i thrash it every now and again.

I know you might say "use the search" but could you please just tell me a recommended brand and type.

Thank you

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You will be hell bent to ever find a post of mine that said "use the search".......I dont do that and hate it when somebody else does it as they started asking questions once upon a time....they just "forgot"....

I assume this is the aluminum block in a GM 2500 truck? 6.0 Vortec ?
    I need you to answer a few questions please.
    What oil is in there now?
    Do you tow?
    What percentage is city driving and what percentage is highway driving?
    Where are you at? The desert? The North Pole? Need to know.
    Do you have any modifications?
    What have your oill change intervals been in the past?
    Have you ever sent your oil in for analysis?

I see GM recommends 5-30. I need you to answer a few questions so we can better make a recommendation please.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by lordchz View Post
    Today I was browsing Walmart's section of oil and found it pretty funny...Walmart's brand of oil SuperTech was SN rated, yet many national brands including Castrol, Mobile, and others were not. It may just be an old bottle issue, cuz cheapest always sellz...but it still tickled me...hee, hee....
    Well many of the major manufacturers are using up the inventory of jugs/bottles that are marked SM. Mobil1 has already publicly stated if your jug says SM and the manufacturer date is after August 2010. You really have SN rated oil in there I am sure the others are the same.

08 Chrysler

Sarge, could you recommend what's the best oil and filter I should run? Right now I'm using amsoil ss0w30 and amsoil filter. Just normal driving and every weekend I do some drag racing. Well right now I want to get into some road racing and the car will see a lot of revs from 3k to 6k for extended periods of time. Could be 30 min sessions and then a break and so on.

This is for a 02' stock LS1 fbody. Only has full exhaust right now but I have plans for a twin turbo setup and keeping the longblock completely untouched.
    Last edited by Jabbar; 02-23-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbar View Post
    Sarge, could you recommend what's the best oil and filter I should run? Right now I'm using amsoil ss0w30 and amsoil filter. Just normal driving and every weekend I do some drag racing. Well right now I want to get into some road racing and the car will see a lot of revs from 3k to 6k for extended periods of time. Could be 30 min sessions and then a break and so on.

This is for a 02' stock LS1 fbody. Only has full exhaust right now but I have plans for a twin turbo setup and keeping the longblock completely untouched.
    You in Michigan?

08 Chrysler

You in Michigan?
    Lol how do you know that? I'm in MI right now but I live in NY.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbar View Post
    Lol how do you know that? I'm in MI right now but I live in NY.
    IP Address?

Fire
    2002 SS

There are basic issues in play here. First the pump is driven off the camshaft. Pumps at 3K PSI. They are already issues with the cam "walking" and catastrophic failure. Intake sludge out the butt. GM has a problem here for sure.
    I hear that normal blow-back into the intake port cause a build-up there on the valve and in the port. Since the port is dry [no fuel in the air] there is no cleaning or rinsing. No practical way to clean it.

Fire
    2002 SS

Seal conditioners
    How does a 'seal conditioner' work? Legend has it that the so-called auto-trans stop-leak & seal conditioner just softened the rubber seals so the would swell for a quick fix. The side effect was that soon afterward, the softened seals would fail and you had a bigger problem than when you started.

Silver

Smile

You will be hell bent to ever find a post of mine that said "use the search".......I dont do that and hate it when somebody else does it as they started asking questions once upon a time....they just "forgot"....

I assume this is the aluminum block in a GM 2500 truck? 6.0 Vortec ?
    I need you to answer a few questions please.
    What oil is in there now?
    Do you tow?
    Where are you at? The desert? The North Pole? Need to know.
    Do you have any modifications?
    What have your oill change intervals been in the past?
    Have you ever sent your oil in for analysis?

I see GM recommends 5-30. I need you to answer a few questions so we can better make a recommendation please.

Hahaha.

Thank you for the reply. very thorough.

I assume this is the aluminum block in a GM 2500 truck? 6.0 Vortec ? wait i've got the 6000 6.0L V8 (LS2) without active fuel management though. but for some reason we call them l76???
    What oil is in there now? Right now I have Penrite sin 5 in there
    Do you tow? No
    Probably 80/20 80% City driving 20% Highway
    Where are you at? The desert? The North Pole? Need to know. Australia (Western Australia)
    Do you have any modifications? Stock as a rock apart from 2.5” cat back exhaust.
    What have your oill change intervals been in the past? Not 100% sure because when I bought the car, from a Holden dealer it “apparently” just had a service, i didn’t trust them because oil looked rather black on the stick. :S I plan on doing it every 5,000km though. coming upto 5000km interval now.
    Have you ever sent your oil in for analysis? No but since you mentioned it, it sounds like something worth doing.

I'm not too concerned about the price, and don't mind getting it shipped from the States.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Steele304vs; 02-23-2011 at 10:27 PM.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Steele304vs View Post
    Hahaha.

Thank you for the reply. very thorough.

I assume this is the aluminum block in a GM 2500 truck? 6.0 Vortec ? Yes, It is the Vortec 6000 – without active fuel management though.
    What oil is in there now? Right now I have Penrite sin 5 in there
    Do you tow? No
    Probably 80/20 80% City driving 20% Highway
    Where are you at? The desert? The North Pole? Need to know. Australia (Western Australia)
    Do you have any modifications? Stock as a rock apart from 2.5” cat back exhaust.
    What have your oill change intervals been in the past? Not 100% sure because when I bought the car, from a Holden dealer it “apparently” just had a service, i didn’t trust them because oil looked rather black on the stick. :S I plan on doing it every 5,000km though. coming upto 5000km interval now.
    Have you ever sent your oil in for analysis? No but since you mentioned it, it sounds like something worth doing.

I'm not too concerned about the price, and don't mind getting it shipped from the States.

Thanks in advance
    Yea if you wanna know oil sarg is the guy, he owns more oil in his garage them probably the oil company's themselfs lol. And also to answer your question about the search this isn't tech!!!!!

Silver

Crikey, i've totally confused myself now... lol i don't even know what engine i have. i definitely have the bottom one on this page.

http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/comm.../vz-specs.html

But then on this site

http://forums.finalgear.com/general-...d-in-us-10811/

Im pretty sure i have the 6000 6.0L V8 (LS2)

??

Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10203040565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread Information