• Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 58 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8182838545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1384
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Welcome to last week. Caddy has been having problems with this engine (before DI) with the timing chains and oil ...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Welcome to last week. Caddy has been having problems with this engine (before DI) with the timing chains and oil change intervals since 2004. The chains were underbuilt. According to my sources, the manufacturer did not build them to GM's spec hence the problem with them loosening up. But its a relatively minor issue (besides being a complicated and expensive repair) since it usually just causes an SES or sometimes a chain rattle. I've only seen one damaged engine.

Post One-Armed Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I use Shaeffers Oils. If you cannot get a Shaeffers rep close to you then Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra are producing outstanding Used Oil Analysis.

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Amsoil. Nor Mobil1.
    I can agree that Schaeffer’s makes a solid product. It’s too bad they can’t leave it at that and let the product do the selling. I say that because I don’t agree with their sales rep(s) wide spread use of the hand held Falex Lubricity Tester; a non-standardized, non-approved bench test that can easily be manipulated by the individual operating it.

Folks, whatever the brand of oil, don’t base your motor oil selection solely on one non-standardized bench test. This is where Used Oil Analysis(UOA) comes into play. The UOA helps separate reality from fancy marketing.

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    I can agree that Schaeffer’s makes a solid product. It’s too bad they can’t leave it at that and let the product do the selling. I say that because I don’t agree with their sales rep(s) wide spread use of the hand held Falex Lubricity Tester; a non-standardized, non-approved bench test that can easily be manipulated by the individual operating it.

Folks, whatever the brand of oil, don’t base your motor oil selection solely on one non-standardized bench test. This is where Used Oil Analysis(UOA) comes into play. The UOA helps separate reality from fancy marketing.

CompSyn
    LOL...be careful CompSyn or I'll show you some world class misdirection and flat out BS some Amsoil salespeople use!
    But yes I agree.....salespeople often times do no justice to their product and should just shut the hell up and let the product sell itself.

Unhappy RE: One-Armed Bandit

LOL...be careful CompSyn or I'll show you some world class misdirection and flat out BS some Amsoil salespeople use!
    But yes I agree.....salespeople often times do no justice to their product and should just shut the hell up and let the product sell itself.
    Yes, I agree that some Amsoil dealers are completely clueless and disseminate some true garbage. I’ve found the difference here is when corporate finds out about it, they put the smack down and tell them to knock it off.

Unfortunately, this is not the case with Schaeffer’s.

Now I pick my battles carefully and this one is worth mentioning.

You’ve got a Schaeffer’s rep in our area going around with this One-Armed Bandit winning over the masses. He’s got three NAPA stores and numerous repair shops believing Schaeffer’s is the best oil based on his test machine, which magically, his product always wins.

I called Schaeffer’s corporate tech department and point blank asked them Schaeffer’s position on the hand held Falex Lubricity Tester. Immediately their tech guy says, not a scientific test, which is what he should have said. Then I take it a step further and ask them what Schaeffer’s would do if they found out their sales reps were using them. He didn’t condemn it and didn’t have any issues with it, and that’s where the story goes South.

I’m believing this is a wide spread issue as you can do a Google search for “Schaeffer’s oil”. You’ll find the fourth search result down, “Went to oil test....Schaeffer's Oil blew them all away”. I’ve been in other forums too where they talked about the Schaeffer’s rep and his test machine.

Well, even though Schaeffer’s is one of Amsoil’s top competitors, I used to hold them to high regard. Yes they still make a great product, but I’m afraid that their marketing has fallen to an unscrupulous level and is starting to look a little Purple…

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You say I got one here in South Texas? I know all of them and am surprised frankly as they are smart level headed car guys. The only NAPA we have here threw Shaeffers out because they undercut them on the School District Shit thing to do (on the Shaeffers rep part) and cost that Shaeffers rep his job around here. That was a few years ago.
    I am very good friends with the largest Amsoil mover here and the largest Shaeffers rep. We all get along just fine with zero bullshit.
    If some rep....be it Shaeffers or Amsoil is exaggerating/polishing the pig I would confront it head on.
    Like that Tim Vipond (his screen name) blowhard/moron we spoke of. He wants to "call out" the TCW3 discussions because "the manufacturer doesn't recommend it"......what total hypocritical horseshit. Do you think any car manufacturer recommends using Amsoils Fuel adds? Hell no. So if I use his hysterical bullshit rational Amsoil is no good because it is not recommended by the manufacturer .....but good news here is folks know these bullshit artist are full of shit.
    PM me a name and I'll get him. You know I support Amsoil more than most of the "jobbers" out there. But more importantly I will support the gearheads. Vipond and guys like you describe are scum. Scum with a keyboard.
    Last edited by Sarge; 01-22-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Oh I see...he is in Washington State. PM me some links and me and the boys will rock his world.

Post Put the hammer down…

Oh I see...he is in Washington State. PM me some links and me and the boys will rock his world.
    Thanks Sarge, I appreciate it.

I don't know the name of the sales rep here who's doing the demonstrations, but I'll try to find out exactly who it was from a guy who saw one of them in person.

On the other hand, I'm more concerned with how Schaeffer's is handling this at the corporate level.

What should happen is Schaeffer's corporate needs to condemn the use of these bench testers publicly thereby cutting the heads off ANY of their sales reps currently using them.

Some of you may recall that the Federal Trade Commission slapped Prolong with a civil penalty for among other things using a Falex Lubricity Bench Tester.

I wouldn't think that Schaeffer's wants to go down that road...

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I agree and will send a email to my Shaeffers rep in St. Louis. They sponsor one of my cars so I think I can get somebodies attention there.

silver
    2002 Z28 Convertible 4A

Hey Sarge, I'm due for a new air filter for the 02 Camaro, what would you recommend? I believe it has been a while since you made any recommendations on air filters. Thanks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Paper? Stock box?

silver
    2002 Z28 Convertible 4A

Fast Toys scoop, SLP lid, SLP bellows. I know not to use oiled filters. You used to recommend Amsoil, is there anything better in todays techology?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Still recommend the Amsoil air filters. AEM make damn good dry filters.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Is there a schaeffers rep in MO? Sarge you said St.louis is that Missouri? Like to look at prices and do some UOA against the amsoil for fun. I'll do it in my daily driver little shit box S-10 see 500 miles a week on the hwy with over 210,000 and still doing fine.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have posted Amsoil vs. Shaeffers UOA's in the Oil Junkie thread.
    Yes Shaeffers is in St. Louis MO.

SOM
    2001 SS

Hey Sarge, what does AEM stand for and where can i find these?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Sarge which schaeffer oil should I try? Reading and seems to be a Group 11 and the Amsoil SSO and XL line I believe is a group 111. The whole parriafin also scares me probly can set me straight on that also. May even try some in the camaro and beat the piss out of it for 20 runs and do a UOA on it also.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I use the Series 7000 10-30 in my 408 GTO.
    Folks think parrafin is the same stuff they make candle wax out of and it is not. All oil has parrifin in it.
    One thing I have learned is the base oil being a grpII or III or IV is not as important as the add packs.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

I use the Series 7000 10-30 in my 408 GTO.
    Folks think parrafin is the same stuff they make candle wax out of and it is not. All oil has parrifin in it.
    One thing I have learned is the base oil being a grpII or III or IV is not as important as the add packs.
    So I guess the add packs are pretty stout then?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Very.

Page 58 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8182838545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread Information