• Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2122232484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1384
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; It's nice to see that (@least in this respect) that using castrol GTX for 20+ years was'nt too bad of ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It's nice to see that (@least in this respect) that using castrol GTX for 20+ years was'nt too bad of a move.. I've used it in everything vehicle wise.. Never had any "visible" issues when I've torn motors down that I ran it in.. Just some brown stain color on the non-ware surfaces.. No sludging, and ring packs seem to stay clean..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2002 WS6 M6

Changed my oil with the amsoil sig series 0w30 and amsoil filter. My car always made that ticking noise at every start up (hot or cold). I was hoping the new oil would be the fix but it's no different.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Gohard View Post
    Changed my oil with the amsoil sig series 0w30 and amsoil filter. My car always made that ticking noise at every start up (hot or cold). I was hoping the new oil would be the fix but it's no different.
    i dont think i have bine around a ls car that didnt make that noise

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    My 98 z28 didn't do it but my new TA does it a little

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    My 98 z28 didn't do it but my new TA does it a little
    give it time and it more then likly will. my car only has 14k on it and i have the tick.

Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

Im from switzerland and i cant buy PP,PU or amsoil. I bought my Camaro with 80kmiles an with fresh lubricants. The oil was a 10w40 Midland swiss oil. The engine runs without any noise even cold or hot. Than i research some weeks after the best oil and my result are: Place one Amsoil, than Mobil 1 and PP. But now there are some differents Viscosity and Oil types, i dont know wich is the best but everyone says something different....
    After 5kmiles i changed the oil to Mobil 1 0W40 after this change makes my engine noise after the start. When i drive 5 Minutes the engine will be quit. The Oilpressure is good. I guess the oil is to thing to stay by the hydros and flows completly down...

Now i want to swith to castrol 5W30 Magnatec, but is the oil good ? i dont know and thats the problem and nobody knows that....

and sorry for the bad english...

greets

Robert

pewter
    2000 camaro Z28

i work in a gm dealership and have had numerous customers complain no oil pressure at start ups sometimes all these customers had 1 thing in common useing amsoil filters on 2008 chevy 4x4 turns out oil filters were problem now just wondering why do they not have valve in filter or just faulty filters from factory just wondering sarge any advise

Lightbulb Motor Oil and Color

How often have you heard somebody say they changed their motor oil because it looked bad or was too dark?

Check out this video from GM:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB7PL5MHicU[/ame]

One of the most effective ways to tell a motor oils useful service life is not by color but by Used Oil Analysis (UOA) - link

Are you dumping perfectly good motor oil down the drain?

CompSyn

Post Oil Filters

Quote Originally Posted by pewter Z28 View Post
    i work in a gm dealership and have had numerous customers complain no oil pressure at start ups sometimes all these customers had 1 thing in common useing amsoil filters on 2008 chevy 4x4 turns out oil filters were problem now just wondering why do they not have valve in filter or just faulty filters from factory just wondering sarge any advise
    Do you recall the Part number of the trouble oil filter?

Amsoil has had some issues with four specific makes of their EaO oil filters in which they pulled from the market and are in the process of re-designing the trouble filters right now.

Again, these are isolated cases only affecting a few oil filters. And I continue to run unaffected Amsoil EaO oil filters on my vehicles and have had no issues whatsoever.

BTW, the Amsoil EaO filter P/N # EAO32 that is common to LS1 engines is NOT one of the trouble filters and continues to be a great performer.

CompSyn

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

give it time and it more then likly will. my car only has 14k on it and i have the tick.
    Little late but the car had 70k on it. 98s supposedly do it less than 99s on up.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Johny Bee O View Post
    Im from switzerland and i cant buy PP,PU or amsoil. I bought my Camaro with 80kmiles an with fresh lubricants. The oil was a 10w40 Midland swiss oil. The engine runs without any noise even cold or hot. Than i research some weeks after the best oil and my result are: Place one Amsoil, than Mobil 1 and PP. But now there are some differents Viscosity and Oil types, i dont know wich is the best but everyone says something different....
    After 5kmiles i changed the oil to Mobil 1 0W40 after this change makes my engine noise after the start. When i drive 5 Minutes the engine will be quit. The Oilpressure is good. I guess the oil is to thing to stay by the hydros and flows completly down...

Now i want to swith to castrol 5W30 Magnatec, but is the oil good ? i dont know and thats the problem and nobody knows that....

and sorry for the bad english...

greets

Robert
    welcome to the site. mobil 1 is over rated not saying its bad just not as good as some others out there. after looking at all the info i could find for some time i run amsoil and filters on all my cars and trucks. i have 3 now my 01 ta a 01 gmc duramax and my wifes jeep all with diffrent oil but all amsoil. if you look up the car you have on there web site amsoil.com it gives a list of what they have that will work. if it has more then one the one on top is the best most of the time. as for the sound you get try going back to the last oil you had befor it started if it is still going on then it just a coincidence. the fix i like the best is the one i did. get headers and a cam and you cant hear it.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    "The NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service. The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier they become, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions." - Source Cited link

So the LOWER the NOACK Volatility percentage, the more stable the motor oil in high temperature extremes.
    Great link and great info - Thanks CompSyn

Silver
    98 Z28

as engines become older and more worn, is 0-30 all the same as 5-30? as far as i understand, 0-30 cools faster and is easier to reach optimal temps and grades, right? i have 126k miles but the engine was rebuilt about 5-10k ago, and my temps never rise above approx 185. normal highway cruising temps is at about 175 or so. is my temp gauge off or do i need to check my thermostat and make sure its functioning properly or does this sound normal?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SiLver_PhOeNiX View Post
    as engines become older and more worn, is 0-30 all the same as 5-30? as far as i understand, 0-30 cools faster and is easier to reach optimal temps and grades, right? i have 126k miles but the engine was rebuilt about 5-10k ago, and my temps never rise above approx 185. normal highway cruising temps is at about 175 or so. is my temp gauge off or do i need to check my thermostat and make sure its functioning properly or does this sound normal?
    it sounds low for a stock car what thermostat do you have in it? its not a bad thing and is about where you most of us try to get them to run any way so its fine. the only resone i run 0w-30 is its the best stuff you can get from amsoil in the sig oil. its more what kind of oil you run over the weight of your oil.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Anyone run Rotella T?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by TAHunter View Post
    Anyone run Rotella T?
    Yes, in my 40ft motor home's Caterpillar 3208T diesel engine.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Yes, in my 40ft motor home's Caterpillar 3208T diesel engine.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I've dumped that stuff into more than a few Macks aswell.. I do believe it has been mentioned earlier in this thread tho..

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    How often have you heard somebody say they changed their motor oil because it looked bad or was too dark?

Check out this video from GM:

One of the most effective ways to tell a motor oils useful service life is not by color but by Used Oil Analysis (UOA) - link

Are you dumping perfectly good motor oil down the drain?

CompSyn
    Excellent video. And remember the old adage, "A picture is worth a thousand words." In this case, a video is worth at least that.

Motor oil useful service life testing is one of those things that should be color blind. For such testing, UOA is the only way.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I've dumped that stuff into more than a few Macks aswell.. I do believe it has been mentioned earlier in this thread tho..
    It has good 'soot control' additives necessary for diesel engines. And yes, it was mentioned a good ways back in this thread. Some years ago, I experimented with Rotella T 15w40 as one ingredient in an oil 'soup' recipe for use in my LSX engines in Florida's hot climate. Sarge experimented much more than I did and he used it in some of his various 'soup' recipes in years past. Speaking of Sarge, what happened to him? Where is Sarge?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

welcome to the site. mobil 1 is over rated ....
    ... and over priced.

Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2122232484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread Information