40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7172743444546474849505167 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; im curious, what is the general opinion of semi synthetics? are they nothing more than a mix of dino oil ...

2004 odyssey 2007 accord

im curious, what is the general opinion of semi synthetics?
    are they nothing more than a mix of dino oil and some synthetic oil?

Post Base Oils

Quote Originally Posted by labattsipa View Post
    Im curious, what is the general opinion of semi synthetics?
    That depends on the company doing the blending and the additives used. Some semi-synthetics are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by labattsipa View Post
    Are they nothing more than a mix of dino oil and some synthetic oil?
    Again, that depends on the company doing the blending. In the market place today, terns like Full Synthetic, Semi-Synthetic, and Partial Synthetic can generally mean the same thing. They all use base oils which originate from crude oil. Itís more a mater of what degree the finished product is refined, e.g., Group II, Group III, Group III+ base oils.

Hope this helps

CompSyn

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

I use pennzoil platinum 5-30 full syn and a promotive filter and change it every 3k but i get all that for free from work do you guys recommend using something else as far as filter and oil.
    My shop only carry's Quaker state and penz. would be worth going and buying something else?

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by zeetwentyeight View Post
    I use pennzoil platinum 5-30 full syn and a promotive filter and change it every 3k but i get all that for free from work do you guys recommend using something else as far as filter and oil.
    My shop only carry's Quaker state and penz. would be worth going and buying something else?
    NO! Free is hard to beat for that oil which is near the top for quality.

My ex bf is a stalker smartinz26's Avatar

black
    99 Firehawk

we put schaffers in the tow trucks, 03 f350 w/250k original miles, 03 vette and my hawk. using recommended weights. seems to make things run a little cooler and quieter for the most part. you can really tell with the diesels not so much in the gas engines.

Steph
    99 Firehawk #198 6spd
    13.4 @ 103mph
    stock and not as exciting as yours.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I love Schaeffers Oil man....great stuff....

white
    2002 Ford F150

I use Amsoil, 0W-30 SSO in truck and 5W-30 ASL in car with Wix filters. I used Motorcraft semi synthetic years ago but only Amsoil now. I never tried Mobileeeee 1 and very satisfied with my lube choice including one ounce for every four, five gallons of gas using TC-W3. Two cycle outboard oil on recommendation from Sarge.

Thumbs up Oil Filters

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I use Amsoil, 0W-30 SSO in truck and 5W-30 ASL in car with Wix filters. I used Motorcraft semi synthetic years ago but only Amsoil now. I never tried Mobileeeee 1 and very satisfied with my lube choice including one ounce for every four, five gallons of gas using TC-W3. Two cycle outboard oil on recommendation from Sarge.
    Nice choice on the oil. Also, WIX filters are a quality built filter, but consider checking out the Amsoil EaO oil filter; another awesome choice.

Go to: http://yournextoilchange.com and then type in Oil Filter in the Google powered - search this blog function. Thereís a lot of good info on oil filters their.

CompSyn

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I love Schaeffers Oil man....great stuff....
    I agree. IMHO, Amsoil and Schaeffers are supreme.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Sarge I have a question about the Pennzoil. At my local car parts store one of the guys said the regular stuff has ash in it. I know synthetic and dino are different but just wondering if there is any truth to what he said.

white
    2002 Ford F150

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Nice choice on the oil. Also, WIX filters are a quality built filter, but consider checking out the Amsoil EaO oil filter; another awesome choice.

Go to: http://yournextoilchange.com and then type in Oil Filter in the Google powered - search this blog function. Thereís a lot of good info on oil filters their.

CompSyn
    I do have an EaO34 and EaO20 for the next oil change sometime in 2010 and will be using the same oil.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

awesome posts Sarge . any info on castrol magnatec ,edge and the syntec? im likeing how the amsoil is doing do the 3 others compar ?
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-08-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Sarge I have a question about the Pennzoil. At my local car parts store one of the guys said the regular stuff has ash in it. I know synthetic and dino are different but just wondering if there is any truth to what he said.
    I am suprised he didn't regurgitate the paraffin that was in Pennsylvania crude oil.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    That depends on the company doing the blending and the additives used. Some semi-synthetics are very good.

Again, that depends on the company doing the blending. In the market place today, terns like Full Synthetic, Semi-Synthetic, and Partial Synthetic can generally mean the same thing. They all use base oils which originate from crude oil. Itís more a mater of what degree the finished product is refined, e.g., Group II, Group III, Group III+ base oils.

Hope this helps

CompSyn
    One compound word; Hydrocracking

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Cold in KS.

ive always used K&N filters, and Mobil1 5w20. 96k on motor. Should I be using a heavier oil?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    ive always used K&N filters, and Mobil1 5w20. 96k on motor. Should I be using a heavier oil?
    well recommended weight is a 30 weight, looks like you live in KS i live in MO both get pretty cold, me personal i use amsoil sso 0w30 which has pumpabilty for cold start up, and is a recommeded 30 weight for your engine. either way you should use a 30 weight oil.

silver
    1998 town car

Another question for Sarge.....
    Much has been said about 0-30 5-30 10-30 oils and theur usages....These oil weights are for GM cars.....How about a little information on 0-20 5-20 10-20 oils...Understand Ford and some others say to use 20 weight oils abcause of the close tolerances with moving parts....If this is correct, then a heavier oil would harm the engine, or would it?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I see Pennzoil Platinum is now $23 for 5 quart jug at walmart now. Mobil 1 is still $22. You guys didnt do a good job of keeping the secret on how good Pennzoi is.

I recently bought my 2000 z-28 M6 from a dealership whom of which did all of the service to it. They were running a castrol 5-30 dino. I decided to switch to Royal Purple 5-30 full synthetic. Previously the car did not eat any oil, with RP i lost 2 quarts in 45 days. Its not in the coolant and the exhaust doesnt smell like oil. Does anyone have any thoughts please?

Oil Problems?

I recently bought my 2000 z-28 M6 from a dealership whom of which did all of the service to it. They were running a castrol 5-30 dino. I decided to switch to Royal Purple 5-30 full synthetic. Previously the car did not eat any oil, with RP i lost 2 quarts in 45 days. Its not in the coolant and the exhaust doesnt smell like oil. Does anyone have any thoughts please?

Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7172743444546474849505167 ... LastLast

Thread Information