40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 29 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9252627282930313233495969 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ...

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Top grade oil base stocks and additives blended by an ISO 9001:2000 certified company with over 35-years of experience with automotive synthetic oils.

Basically, itís a really good oil. There are other really good oils too. You just have to do your own research and testing to see if itís worth the extra cost to you. Many have done so and have discovered the value to cost ratio justifies the extra expense.

I would also hope that whoever was talking to you about Amsoil, mentioned the Preferred Customer program in which you buy Amsoil products at cost rather than retail price. Nobody should have to pay retail price for Amsoil.

For more reading on motor oil base stocks and additives, you might start HERE

CompSyn

thank you sir!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    i dont know if he knows much about the oil, or cas in general.. he kept talking about my souped up car..

anyways, i dont want him to "Sell" it to me.. i want to know the truth.... figured i would ask a true oil guru.. if it really is better... i will buy it.. if not, ill stick to my syn.
    Well allow me to speak frankly.....yes Amsoil is great oil.....but many "Amsoil Sales folks" just do them a great injustice (CompSyn is not included in this group)....by running their fricking blowholes without a clue of what in the hell they are talking about. There is no best oil. You have to do UOA's and test,test,test......for your "best" oil.....in other words...if you are wanting to run 20K mile OCI's then you better be looking at Amsoil/Shaeffers type stuff....if your running 3K mile OCI's then Pennzoil Yellow Bottle Conventional may test out just fine....if you have some mods and drive hard then you may need Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil XL series stuff....it all depends on you and your specific requirments and car....I would suggest you hook up with Compsyn and give some Amsoil a try....that is the only way I know how to test it....is to test it...at least this way you will get facts and not marketing bullshit....

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Well allow me to speak frankly.....yes Amsoil is great oil.....but many "Amsoil Sales folks" just do them a great injustice (CompSyn is not included in this group)....by running their fricking blowholes without a clue of what in the hell they are talking about. There is no best oil. You have to do UOA's and test,test,test......for your "best" oil.....in other words...if you are wanting to run 20K mile OCI's then you better be looking at Amsoil/Shaeffers type stuff....if your running 3K mile OCI's then Pennzoil Yellow Bottle Conventional may test out just fine....if you have some mods and drive hard then you may need Pennzoil Platinum or Amsoil XL series stuff....it all depends on you and your specific requirments and car....I would suggest you hook up with Compsyn and give some Amsoil a try....that is the only way I know how to test it....is to test it...at least this way you will get facts and not marketing bullshit....
    hmmm... good info..

full bolt on ms4 prcls6s ported 9090 full exhaust 410s yada yada yada..
    i like to have fun with my car and DD it about 50 miles a day..

so with that said, i should at least try it out...
    is 9$/qt. a fair price for that oil?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

hmmm... good info..

full bolt on ms4 prcls6s ported 9090 full exhaust 410s yada yada yada..
    i like to have fun with my car and DD it about 50 miles a day..

so with that said, i should at least try it out...
    is 9$/qt. a fair price for that oil?
    Well I do not know which oil he is pimping on you man....I buy Amsoil 10-30 for $6bucks.....and I'm not special....just depends on which oil your buying...Amsoil has a full lineup....

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Well I do not know which oil he is pimping on you man....I buy Amsoil 10-30 for $6bucks.....and I'm not special....just depends on which oil your buying...Amsoil has a full lineup....
    any weights you would recommend? and i will find out how much he charges for that particular one and report back..

im sorry, i just dont know a whole lot about oil..

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well I pay the $20 per year ($10 for 6 months) and get all Amsoil products for dealer cost through their Preferred Customer program https://www.amsoil.com/a/wholesale-preferred-customer. Payback is the first oil change......I from time to time use their XL 10-30 https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlt.aspx
    I use their rear end lube/friction modifier...hell I buy my windshield wipers from them.....25% off everything is hard to pass up
    But like I said...you can PM CompSyn and he can take care of you.....he is a very knowledgeable guy and doesn't do the hysterical marketing stuff on you.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

OIL ..HUMM always wondered about that amsoil theres a local guy who tryed to get some us to buy it,then I have a freind who has and runs a top fuel funny bike he gets this green shit weird,I have been running the wally world syn.tech shit for like 10 years used to get it for gallon $11 now still under $20 oil change with filter.personally i think about any good anmed oil will do good,main thing is to keep it changed.Hell my mother bought a new pontiac vibe a few years ago the first oil change in it was called for like 7000 miles,I was like damn

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Well I pay the $20 per year ($10 for 6 months) and get all Amsoil products for dealer cost through their Preferred Customer program https://www.amsoil.com/a/wholesale-preferred-customer. Payback is the first oil change......I from time to time use their XL 10-30 https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlt.aspx
    I use their rear end lube/friction modifier...hell I buy my windshield wipers from them.....25% off everything is hard to pass up
    But like I said...you can PM CompSyn and he can take care of you.....he is a very knowledgeable guy and doesn't do the hysterical marketing stuff on you.
    thanks for the links..

im going to go talk to him again today and find a little bit more out..

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

UPDATE:

i was working on my car all day at a buddies so i didnt get a chance to go speak to him..
    when i came home there were some printed papers from the link you posted me in the mail box from the guy selling the oil...

i looked them up in the provided link you gave me and these are the two i guess he is suggesting for me to buy..

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd20.aspx
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

would those be the best.. and if not, could you steer me in a better direction?

thanks in advance..

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well I would never/ever recommend a 20 weight for our LSX motors....so that is out.
    I would be looking at these frankly if I were interested in Amsoil......
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx $6.95
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlf.aspx $5.65
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlt.aspx $5.65

Prices next to the link are per quart I pay for them.

UPDATE:

i was working on my car all day at a buddies so i didnt get a chance to go speak to him..
    when i came home there were some printed papers from the link you posted me in the mail box from the guy selling the oil...

i looked them up in the provided link you gave me and these are the two i guess he is suggesting for me to buy..

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd20.aspx
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

would those be the best.. and if not, could you steer me in a better direction?

thanks in advance..

The Amsoil grades Sarge pointed out are all good choices. Also consider the 0W-30 is reported to have good results in LS1 engines.

Check out THIS LS1.com thread for more on Amsoil SSO

CompSyn

White
    2001 Z28

Did you see the Castrol Edge ads in the Superbowl? Hype reaches a new level!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes I did...very little info outside of marketing crap. WalMart has it for $36 bucks a 5 quart jug as of yesterday. $10 more than Mobil1 top of the line oil.....More expensive than Amsoil's GRPIII stuff.....It is definetly a GRPIII oil. Will buy a quart and send it to the lab so we can see what this stuff is made of. The 4X's and 8X's better statements ( Valvoline is doing the same thing) are whacked as the test they reference is next to worthless and the numbers are so minuscule they have absolutely no meaning to anybody in the real world.
    What really amazes me is they (Castrol) are admitting they bullshitted about Castrol Syntech all these years now with these new statements about Edge!!!!!!!

White
    2001 Z28

I will not put this crap in my Camaro. However, I will give it an analysis in my grocery getter (07 Trailblazer SS, LS2 engine). We need to call them out on this one.
    I am going to do a Blackstone/Dyson Analysis on this one. I have a lot of existing Blackstone Data on this vehicle.
    I will post up as much of the results as Terry will allow.
    Last edited by lonewolf37; 02-02-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Updated Ideas

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Good man Wolf.....

Post UPDATED: Comparative Motor Oil Testing

Here's a little something that may be of interest...

Amsoil’s updated edition of their Comparative Motor Oil Testing.

Click HERE for the pdf.

CompSyn

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

So, has the SSO replaced the S2000? I've now finished my last case of S2000 0w30.

Post SSO

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    So, has the SSO replaced the S2000? I've now finished my last case of S2000 0w30.
    You are correct.

Amsoil Signature Series Oil (SSO) 0W-30 supersedes S2000 0W-30.

CompSyn

White
    2001 Z28

Castrol Edge

I changed the oil in my Trailblazer SS today to Castrol Edge. I could not find it at Wally World or the PX. The only place I could get it was at Kragens at $8.49 a quart. At least they gave me a 10% Military Discount. Still it came to 50 bucks a case after taxes. If anybody knows of a cheaper source, please let me know before my next fill. (5,000M).
    At these prices Castrol should include a tube of KY jelly with each case.
    After two fills the truth will be posted.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah......we need UOA's for sure....

Page 29 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9252627282930313233495969 ... LastLast

Thread Information