40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8242526272829303132485868 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I run Synthetic Mobile-1 05W30 in the SS. Question for Sarge. Do you have a suggestion for an over-the-counter oil ...

Fire
    2002 SS

I run Synthetic Mobile-1 05W30 in the SS.

Question for Sarge.
    Do you have a suggestion for an over-the-counter oil in my '86 'Vette? It's got about 160K Miles, a semi-mild roller cam, TPI, no power adder, and daily-driver. I have a remote dual filter setup but did not install it because I was concerned about pressure drop. Should I have any pressure drop concerns?

Sorry if this has been discussed but I didn't want to take the time to filter all 500+ replies since 2005 [great thread].

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    I run Synthetic Mobile-1 05W30 in the SS.

Question for Sarge.
    Do you have a suggestion for an over-the-counter oil in my '86 'Vette? It's got about 160K Miles, a semi-mild roller cam, TPI, no power adder, and daily-driver. I have a remote dual filter setup but did not install it because I was concerned about pressure drop. Should I have any pressure drop concerns?

Sorry if this has been discussed but I didn't want to take the time to filter all 500+ replies since 2005 [great thread].
    No pressure drop on the dual remote setup...none....I had an 86 Vette....course couldnt keep it stock or even close to it
    What oil/filter have you ran for the past 160K miles? Have you ever had an oil analysis?

Fire
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    No pressure drop on the dual remote setup...none....I had an 86 Vette....course couldnt keep it stock or even close to it
    What oil/filter have you ran for the past 160K miles? Have you ever had an oil analysis?
    Bought a wreck with 110K & put the drive train in a '70 Buick Skylark 3 years ago, we call it the Skyvette. My son's daily driver.
    What can an oil analysis do for me? Where do I get one & $? Does it hurt or just tickle a little?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

It shows you how well your oil is doing...2ndly it will show you specific wear metals such as bearings/pistons/rings etc........this info tells you if your utilizing the correct oil/oil change intervals etc. Then we can fine tune your specific vehicle to the "best" oil/oil change interval......cuts through the crap
    I use BlackStone Labs for these analysis.....$25 bucks.....
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Ive had my blackstone kit waiting to ship for like 2 months now. full of pp 10w30 30xx mile oil. Guess I need to ship it lolol

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by NaviDyn View Post
    I know 5W-30 EP is group 3. They changed that and 15W-50. And no reason not to change the others.
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Base_Oils.aspx

Question:
    Have Group 3 Base Oils Been Substituted for Better PAO Base Oils?
    Why does Mobil 1 refuse to specify as to the base oil used in their synthetic products. I remember the Mobil 1 oils in the past proudly proclaimed that it was a PAO based oil. We all know the newer group 3 hydrocracked base oils are much cheaper to use than PAO based oils and are less stable in high temps. It would seem to me that if Mobil 1 still uses the better PAO base oils as their primary base oil, you would want to clarify it among those who are switching to other oils because of the ongoing internet talk that says Mobil has substituted group 3 oils for the better PAO oils. Any comments that would clarify the issue?
    -- Wayne Swicegood, Asheboro, NC

Answer:
    As we're sure you can understand, ExxonMobil does not discuss formulations publicly,as this information is proprietary. We would rather focus on the advanced technology and proven performance that our engine oils and other products offer to our customers. Mobil 1 is the world’s leading synthetic motor oil and the one chosen by more original equipment manufacturers around the world as factory fill. We want those facts to speak for us so our customers feel confident they are getting a high quality, high performance product that provides ultimate protection to their vehicles.
    So the answer to the beat around the bush is, Mobil 1 synthetic, not synthetic, the exact thing they sued Castrol over and lost. It is probably cheaper to just hydrocrack the group 3, so they do it and call it synthetic. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Then again, those "synthetics" are very good oil, and do everything a street machine needs. I don't have a problem with the process. I just don't want to see claims of one thing, when the other is true.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

There never was a "lawsuit"...just a Trade Commission Committee hearing.

White
    2001 Z28

Castrol Advanced Synthetic

Since Castrol was just mentioned I have a question about it. I saw a new type of Castrol at Kragens. They call it Advanced Synthetic. It costs $8.49 a qt, the most expensive oil in the store.
    Advanced technology or advanced hype and pricing?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Was it the new 5-40 diesel stuff?

White
    2001 Z28

It appears to be automotive 10/30, I will check more carefully

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

There never was a "lawsuit"...just a Trade Commission Committee hearing.
    Initiated by whom?

Initiated by whom?
    To be exact…

Mobil Oil Corp. VS. Castrol North America Inc. Overseen by the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. NOT a legal case bound by law.

For more specifics on this NAD case, check out the LS1.com post: A Defining Moment For Synthetics

CompSyn

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

so i started my car up this afternoon to let her warm up before i went to go eat..

as i was walking out a guy pulled up and started talking to me..

long story short..

he has some Amsol (sp) that he has that is supposedly superior oil to all others.. i told him i used Syn. mobile 1.. he kind of smirked when i said it.. i asked how much he would charge me per Qt... and that i would need 6 Qts. if i was to buy it from him..

he said it was 9$ a Qt!!!!

now im just wondering.... what is so spectacular about this stuff?

thanks!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Ask him. Ask him how he would justify that price per quart based on your OCI's and UOA's versus say Pennzoil Platinum. This will call him out and he either knows his stuff or he is regurgitating marketing crap.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Initiated by whom?
    Mobil1. Just an advertising committee thing. No lawsuit.

Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

i just use oil.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Thank you for your valuable post.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by irishpenguin13 View Post
    i just use oil.
    lol.. dick move

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Ask him. Ask him how he would justify that price per quart based on your OCI's and UOA's versus say Pennzoil Platinum. This will call him out and he either knows his stuff or he is regurgitating marketing crap.
    i dont know if he knows much about the oil, or cas in general.. he kept talking about my souped up car..

anyways, i dont want him to "Sell" it to me.. i want to know the truth.... figured i would ask a true oil guru.. if it really is better... i will buy it.. if not, ill stick to my syn.

Post Amsoil

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post

now im just wondering.... what is so spectacular about this stuff?
    Top grade oil base stocks and additives blended by an ISO 9001:2000 certified company with over 35-years of experience with automotive synthetic oils.

Basically, it’s a really good oil. There are other really good oils too. You just have to do your own research and testing to see if it’s worth the extra cost to you. Many have done so and have discovered the value to cost ratio justifies the extra expense.

I would also hope that whoever was talking to you about Amsoil, mentioned the Preferred Customer program in which you buy Amsoil products at cost rather than retail price. Nobody should have to pay retail price for Amsoil.

For more reading on motor oil base stocks and additives, you might start HERE

CompSyn

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8242526272829303132485868 ... LastLast

Thread Information