View Poll Results: What Oil Do You Use

Voters
487. You may not vote on this poll
  • Synthetic

    424 87.06%
  • Dino

    40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

    17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

    6 1.23%
Page 25 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5212223242526272829455565 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 1384
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Zmax is a chemical that soaks into metal. OK....You never have to "add" a damn thing to todays oils....some are ...

  1. #481
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Zmax is a chemical that soaks into metal. OK....You never have to "add" a damn thing to todays oils....some are better than others....granted....but no additives...waste of money.....about the only things worth adding would be AutoRX and that is to clean and drain.....I use to use Valvoline Oil Treatment...it was good stuff....but hell the add packs in PP 10-30 dont even need that.....

  2. #482
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    Duralube Oil treatment

    I have learned my lesson about snake oils. However this one comes with a twist. First the store has a 2 for 1 special. Then a $10 rebate per quart. They are not just giving this stuff away, they are paying me to take it.
    Now that I have two quarts of this stuff, I am wondering what to do with it.
    I have no idea what it is.
    Should I try this treatment in my motor?
    I am thinking about using it in the wifemobile (MonteCarlo 3.8 V6)
    Sarge: I could use your insight on this one.

  3. #483
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    The residuals that shit leaves in the passages bothers me frankly. I would give it to a Mustang guy or throw it away.

  4. #484
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    The residuals that shit leaves in the passages bothers me frankly. I would give it to a Mustang guy or throw it away.

  5. #485
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    Point taken, Thanks for the input.

  6. #486
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Yes, give it to a Mustank guy.

  7. #487
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    23

    Red
    2002 S.S. SLP Car

    Royal Purple. No paricular reason why. After reading this may change. Only Purolator filters.

  8. #488
    Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Henryetta/Tulsa Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,483

    Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

    Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended Performance...just in case I go a little over the 3,000 mark...and stupid me just found out that there are Mobil 1 filters so that's on my next oil change.

    2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

  9. #489
    Junior Member fezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3

    black/tan
    2002 Z28

    Castrol dino works. always slippery even after a missed change



  10. #490
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Glen Carbon, IL
    Age
    39
    Posts
    397

    Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

    I don't have time to sift through all the posts. I have been experimenting with oils lately. I have used Wal-mart's SuperTech Synthetic 10w30 with a Delco filter. I switched to Valvoline Full Synthetic with a Delco Filter. I switched again to Valvoline Synthetic with K&N filter. I now am running RP with a Delco filter. After reading through some of this, I think that I am going to switch to Purolator filters for good.

    Being that this car sees more track time than street use. I monitor my guages like a hawk. I noticed when switching to the K&N filter I had a little more oil pressure. I guess the Delco filter is a little more restrictive.

  11. #491
    Junior Member KCB50L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11

    Impulse Blue
    2005 VZ SS Ute

    I use a blended oil, Penrite HPR10 witch is in the 10w50 bracket. The filter I use is a Ryco unit. (Both these Brands are local to Aust)

    PS since the temps in Sydney rarely go below 0c (that's 32F) I don't see the need for thinner oils.
    Last edited by KCB50L; 08-17-2008 at 01:15 AM.

  12. #492
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by 02blkws6 View Post
    I don't have time to sift through all the posts. I have been experimenting with oils lately. I have used Wal-mart's SuperTech Synthetic 10w30 with a Delco filter. I switched to Valvoline Full Synthetic with a Delco Filter. I switched again to Valvoline Synthetic with K&N filter. I now am running RP with a Delco filter. After reading through some of this, I think that I am going to switch to Purolator filters for good.

    Being that this car sees more track time than street use. I monitor my guages like a hawk. I noticed when switching to the K&N filter I had a little more oil pressure. I guess the Delco filter is a little more restrictive.
    Why all the switching? What are you after? Who is doing your UOA's? Don't confuse pressure with flow rate.

  13. #493
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by KCB50L View Post
    I use a blended oil, Penrite HPR10 witch is in the 10w50 bracket. The filter I use is a Ryco unit. (Both these Brands are local to Aust)

    PS since the temps in Sydney rarely go below 0c (that's 32F) I don't see the need for thinner oils.
    People often confuse ambient temps with oil viscosity......thinner oils provide less resistance thus more HP. Today's blends provide a very stout HTHS ( High Temp High Shear) protection and you can get the same if not better protection with a thinner oil. Running too thick of oil actually wears the bearings out as the oil is too thick to get to where it needs to be and lubricate.....

  14. #494

    Post Agreedů

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    People often confuse ambient temps with oil viscosity......thinner oils provide less resistance thus more HP. Today's blends provide a very stout HTHS ( High Temp High Shear) protection and you can get the same if not better protection with a thinner oil. Running too thick of oil actually wears the bearings out as the oil is too thick to get to where it needs to be and lubricate.....


    The two functions of motor oil are to lubricate, and the other is to provide cooling. If you are running too thick of a motor oil than you need, you are reducing oil flow and thus reducing the cooling capacity of that motor oil.

    Many hot rodders live by the adage that more is better. For example, if I am running 10W-30 motor oil, then 15W-50 should be way better for my car. This is generally not the case.

    CompSyn

  15. #495
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post


    Many hot rodders live by the adage that more is better. For example, if I am running 10W-30 motor oil, then 15W-50 should be way better for my car. This is generally not the case.

    CompSyn
    Probably some of those same hot rodders who still insist that Fram oil filters are the best.

  16. #496
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    Last Drop?

    When I change my oil I like to leave the drain plug open all night. The theory being getting the last drop of the old oil out.
    Good/Bad idea?

  17. #497
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    i would say bad. just because i wouldnt like mostiure to get in the hole. just me though

  18. #498
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    How Long?

    I did not think about moisture. Then again, I live in a very dry valley. It begs the question: How long to drain? This assumes you change your own and have the time.

  19. #499
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    I did not think about moisture. Then again, I live in a very dry valley. It begs the question: How long to drain? This assumes you change your own and have the time.
    i wait about 30 min when im not in a hurry. or when i buy a used car. like my work trucks, when i change the oil i pour a little clean oil in and let it drain out to "flush" some of the grimmy crap the guy before me was using.

  20. #500
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Yep, that "flush" method is what I do each oil change to get virtually all the old oil out.

Page 25 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5212223242526272829455565 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Conversion junkie
    By workingdog in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2016, 03:09 PM
  2. When do you know your a junkie
    By jakesz28 in forum Nitrous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
  3. Southern IN Speed Junkie
    By badblazeSS in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
  4. hey ls1 junkie in ga
    By blackbirdpr1 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 07:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •