40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4202122232425262728445464 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Thanks. That's what I presumed, but I wanted to get the expert opinion to confirm. Like you say, for that ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Thanks. That's what I presumed, but I wanted to get the expert opinion to confirm. Like you say, for that price, who can compete? I'll go ahead and order some more.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Sarge, have you heard of Platinum Research Organiation (PLRO) and their TechroBond technology for oil? If so, what is your opinion of it? I'm seeing more money being poured into its testing, but I haven't really looked into it much.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I know what it is. They talk about it on the other oil forum every once in awhile. Like moly on crack. Folks been "announcing" a new chemistry that bonds to metal and makes it slicker than Anna Nichole's bar stool after watching male strippers. So many issues with clogged oil passages/ring packs seized and shit....but ...I havent read enough real world experiances nor have I seen a single UOA on a car running it. So I have no opinion yet. All I have seen is marketing stuff.....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Thanks for your input. I ask because I have a few colleagues who are wanting me to invest in PLRO while gushing with enthusiasm on how it is such an awesome oportunity, etc. One has recently joined their board of directors. I asked for some detailed information from them and one of them brought a large packet of info to my office. I glanced through it and saw some pretty hard-to-believe financial projections, a bunch of marketing fluff and very little test info. So, I thought I'd ask an oil guru like yourself.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

Kendell ??

I've always heard Kendall was top notch dino oil because they used oil that was from Pennsylvania. Supposedly this crude oil had some qualities that were better than most. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this and if it remains true? Now that Mobil1 is just another blend (for $6 a quart ) I'm trying to figure out what oil to switch to and hadn't really see Kendall mentioned much.
    Last edited by imflyn; 02-14-2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: sp

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by imflyn View Post
    I've always heard Kendall was top notch dino oil because they used oil that was from Pennsylvania. Supposedly this crude oil had some qualities that were better than most. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this and if it remains true? Now that Mobil1 is just another blend (for $6 a quart ) I'm trying to figure out what oil to switch to and hadn't really see Kendall mentioned much.
    Kendall is damn fine oil and hard as hell to find. I'd steer you to VP Racings PAO oils....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Thanks for your input. I ask because I have a few colleagues who are wanting me to invest in PLRO while gushing with enthusiasm on how it is such an awesome oportunity, etc. One has recently joined their board of directors. I asked for some detailed information from them and one of them brought a large packet of info to my office. I glanced through it and saw some pretty hard-to-believe financial projections, a bunch of marketing fluff and very little test info. So, I thought I'd ask an oil guru like yourself.
    Yeah I've been "approached" myself....Slick 50/ZMax etc. etc...the problem with the projections of any aftermarket additive is brand loyalty will kill the new guy quick as shit...very very few success (financially) stories out there....its all about shelf space and the average Joe in Auto Zone on Saturday morning getting his Fram filter and 5 quarts of Mobil1 ain't gonna buy it. The average Joe is a sum bitch to convince anything is "good or great" and it is his wallet that does the talking....I mean look at the Tornado....POS snake oil no results...but big time marketing push...but look at the return on investment for the early investors....under 5% on the dollar.....that sucks....why so low?...overhead is 90% marketing reinvestment of AR funds...

PBM
    2005 GTO

which weight oil

Wow, what a great thread thanks for all the great info. I still however am not sure which viscosity I should use, LS1 with 70K, piston slap for about 10 minutes after start up, no mods, generally not raced. Has been running mobil 1 10w30. Could someone recommend a better brand or viscosity, I was probably going to try the amsoil 0w30, but will wait for the experts response. thanks all.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

uh oh...somone opened back up the oil thread........sarge is gonna get a woody

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yeah I've been "approached" myself....Slick 50/ZMax etc. etc...the problem with the projections of any aftermarket additive is brand loyalty will kill the new guy quick as shit...very very few success (financially) stories out there....its all about shelf space and the average Joe in Auto Zone on Saturday morning getting his Fram filter and 5 quarts of Mobil1 ain't gonna buy it. The average Joe is a sum bitch to convince anything is "good or great" and it is his wallet that does the talking....I mean look at the Tornado....POS snake oil no results...but big time marketing push...but look at the return on investment for the early investors....under 5% on the dollar.....that sucks....why so low?...overhead is 90% marketing reinvestment of AR funds...
    So, did you ever use the ZMax? What is your opinion of it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

Sarge.... Quick question. Of your top 5 oil list earlier in this post the castrol apprears to be the highest on your list that is readly avalible where I live. I am a bit confused tho, I see you reffering to differnt kinds. German and green label and this and that. I am a bit confused. If I go down to the ole autozone I assume I should get 0 30 weight but which oil do I get? It may be obvious once I get to the store. I am posting this before I go to try and same myself some cunfusion. Oh I'm driving a 01 Z28 stock if that makes a any differance. Thanks ahead of time.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

lol sarge needs to go into the oil selling business!!!! wont be any mobile 1 at his shop!!!!

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Sarge.... Quick question. Of your top 5 oil list earlier in this post the castrol apprears to be the highest on your list that is readly avalible where I live. I am a bit confused tho, I see you reffering to differnt kinds. German and green label and this and that. I am a bit confused. If I go down to the ole autozone I assume I should get 0 30 weight but which oil do I get? It may be obvious once I get to the store. I am posting this before I go to try and same myself some cunfusion. Oh I'm driving a 01 Z28 stock if that makes a any differance. Thanks ahead of time.
    the "good kind" will say made in germany on the back ... european formula on the front

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    if your going to vatozone, just get some pennzoil platinum, proly 10w30

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

Cool, as always thanks for the help guys.

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

Do you guys that use Mobil 1 Use 5w 30 or 10w 30?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by a338566 View Post
    Do you guys that use Mobil 1 Use 5w 30 or 10w 30?
    i use 0w30 or 5w30. i think you should proly use the same

Blue
    2001 Trans AM

I have been using mobil 1 10w 30, the only reason is i read my owners manual and it lists 5w 30 and 10w 30 along with some outdoor temp ranges, this car is parked during the coldest part of the year and is rarely ran in any temp below 30 degrees. Is 5w 30 still the way to go? What is 0w 30 oil i have never heard of this

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

it should be fine i would think, 0w30 amsoil is what a lot of people use go to amsoil.com and research, or read this whole thread

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Where did all the oil junkies go? This is the thread to get your fix. Where's the oil chief? OK, how about an oil fix question to get me out of Joan's pestering grip...she's tight.

How many agree that zMAX is the best thing for motor oil? Haven't some big wheels in motor sports, like A.J. Foyt, said it's the best speedway cocktail for race cars? They're even claiming that the Federal Trade Commission agrees with all of zMAX's claims. Or is it just mineral oil with a little coloring and a bunch of fancy marketing?

Sarge, we need your counsel. What is this zMAX cocktail?

Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4202122232425262728445464 ... LastLast

Thread Information