40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324405060 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i have always used Mobil 1 10w30 with a Mobil filter, my question is why did Mobil downsize their filter ...

red
    1994 Trans Am GT Convt.

i have always used Mobil 1 10w30 with a Mobil filter, my question is why did Mobil downsize their filter for my 94 TA. I remember last year after i got it out of storage and went to change the oil/filter that my new filter was about have the size that my old one was. Anyone know why they did this, and is the bigger filter better? If so does anyone still make a large filter rather then this liitle dinky thing by Mobil.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 94transamgt View Post
    i have always used Mobil 1 10w30 with a Mobil filter, my question is why did Mobil downsize their filter for my 94 TA. I remember last year after i got it out of storage and went to change the oil/filter that my new filter was about have the size that my old one was. Anyone know why they did this, and is the bigger filter better? If so does anyone still make a large filter rather then this liitle dinky thing by Mobil.
    I really cannot tell you why the manufacturers went smaller...seems to be alot of debate on "why"...I can tell you a smaller filter is more prone to fill up the filter capacity locking it in bypass mode and allowing your oil to travel around your engine unfiltered....I use dual filters on all my cars....or you can just relocate a single larger filter....makes oil changes easier....
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=14813

Dark Green
    95 AZ Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Castrol 10-40 is just fine......as for the filters...yup...I run dual filters on all my cars/trucks..... cheap/add oil to the sump and great results...
    you can relocate your filter very easy and run "fullsize" filters...
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=14813

And by the way...you have to order from Amsoil LOL www.amsoil.com
    But Castrol is fine oil.....
    Sarge, where do you have the remote setup. I want to mount a MG, but don't know where to put it.

silver
    98 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Short answer...no Royal Purple is not "better" oil than Mobil 1. However it depends on your viewpoint here...RP uses heavy doses of Phospherous as a additive.....this is good for cleaning etc. Mobil 1 5-30 thins out to a 20 weight after less than 500 miles.....the friction modifiers are superior in Mobil 1 but the add packs are superior in RP (rust/oxidation/engine cleaning agents etc)...so if you look at Used Oil Analysis you see Mobil 1 has better wear results after 5000-/+ Oil Change Intervals but RP provides better long term protection on engine tear down and ring wear......Me...I use Amsoil 0-30 and KN Filters....love you long time baby
    You the man. thanks for the info. I use RP because thats what I see the guys on TV using. I like the K&N oil filter too

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by villa_performance View Post
    ... I use RP because thats what I see the guys on TV using. ...
    I wouldn't use TV as the source for what's best or what's right.

Black
    2002 Z28

thanks

Thanks for the info Sarge. I believe I will order that remote filter setup. That little filter really bugs the @#%$ outa me.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 94transamgt View Post
    You can use a K&N hp2006. It's about twice the size of the hp1007 that is called for in our cars.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I use the HP2006 oil filter. However, I'm about to install a remote filter setup with a larger filter.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    I use the HP2006 oil filter. However, I'm about to install a remote filter setup with a larger filter.
    I've been thinking about installing one too. Where do you plan on bolting the assembly?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by BADBLUE02 View Post
    I've been thinking about installing one too. Where do you plan on bolting the assembly?
    Most likely where the AIR pump currently is. I'm getting rid of that AIR junk.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Most likely where the AIR pump currently is. I'm getting rid of that AIR junk.
    Hmm......... that'll work.

White
    2006 GMC Sierra Denali

I have a question for everyone here. We just bought a new GMC Sierra Denali with a 6.0L engine. If it was yours what brand of oil would you use? How long would you wait before you switched to a Synthetic?

Thanks

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Amsoil - immediately

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

[QUOTE=Silverado;341012]I have a question for everyone here. We just bought a new GMC Sierra Denali with a 6.0L engine. If it was yours what brand of oil would you use? How long would you wait before you switched to a Synthetic?

Thanks[/QUOTE

Man, you'll get 20 different answers to that question. I'd say your first oil change, switch to synthetic. I like mobile 1. I've been using it for about 6 years now.

White
    2006 GMC Sierra Denali

I have a question for everyone here. We just bought a new GMC Sierra Denali with a 6.0L engine. If it was yours what brand of oil would you use? How long would you wait before you switched to a Synthetic?

Thanks

Man, you'll get 20 different answers to that question.:

I really did expect to hear several different oil suggestions but I am hoping that at least one person will suggest the oil that I am using now.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado View Post

Thanks

Mobil 1. Its excellent oil, and its cost efficient. You can go to Walmart and pick up a 5 quart container of it for $21. So you can do a synthetic oil change, with one of the best oils on the market, for around $25. And then of course you can go 5,000 miles between oil changes without a problem, provided you use a good oil filter.

You can also switch to synthetic at the first oil change, many new cars come from the factory and are broken in on synthetic oil. The whole thing about breaking an engine in on conventional oil is a myth.

White
    2006 GMC Sierra Denali

What about Red Line oil, does anyone use that oil and if so what do you think of it?

I have enought GC (green) '04 vintage for 6 changes, what would you think of using that oil?

I usually use Valvoline conventional for break in and then Valvoline SynPower, does anyone think that would be a bad idea?

I have never used it but I read where many people like Havoline.....any thoughts on that oil?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

anybody think this page has ran its course? 20 pages and a year-old post?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
    What about Red Line oil, does anyone use that oil and if so what do you think of it?
    Never used it, but I'm not impressed with redline as a whole. On their diesel fuel additive, it claims to "reduce knock and pinging". Since when do diesels have detonation and preignition?? Its impossible, you'd think someone would have been bright enough to catch that before the labels were printed

I usually use Valvoline conventional for break in and then Valvoline SynPower, does anyone think that would be a bad idea?
    Thats a myth. You can break in the engine on synthetic oil, no problem. There are no benefits to breaking an engine on on dino oil, only drawbacks.

I have never used it but I read where many people like Havoline.....any thoughts on that oil?
    Its cheap crap. Havoline is the same thing as our store "Advance Auto" brand at work. And that stuff is pure garbage. Then again, what can you expect for $1.68 a quart??

Dark Green
    95 AZ Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Its cheap crap. Havoline is the same thing as our store "Advance Auto" brand at work. And that stuff is pure garbage. Then again, what can you expect for $1.68 a quart??
    Please explain where you get your information. Many people have tested their Havoline, and have found that it's not "pure crap". In fact, it was non-pure crap enough to go 12000 miles in a 5.3 truck that was beat on, and have enough non-pure crapness to have what the tester called a good 1000 miles left. 13000 on a cheap dino oil isn't what most would call pure crap. Search bobistheoilguy.com for the used oil analysis on the truck.

Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324405060 ... LastLast

Thread Information