40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181935455565 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Sarge Oh yeah.....no doubt....it has the exact same characteristics ( Viscosity/friction modifiers/cleaning agents etc.) as the green ...

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Oh yeah.....no doubt....it has the exact same characteristics ( Viscosity/friction modifiers/cleaning agents etc.) as the green stuff....run it with no worries at all....
    Thanks Sarge! How well would it work in my 02 2500HD with the 6.0 in it. I have been running Mobil 1 10W30 in, but would change to GC 0W30 if it would be ok to run it while towing. Any thoughts on that?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Smales
    Thanks Sarge! How well would it work in my 02 2500HD with the 6.0 in it. I have been running Mobil 1 10W30 in, but would change to GC 0W30 if it would be ok to run it while towing. Any thoughts on that?
    I went over and had a look see at other Chevy 2500HD's UOA's.....
    about a dozen or so.....here is one comparing Mobil and Pennzoil DINO....
    2000 Chev Silverado 4x4 ext cab Truck with 4.8ltr V-8, 5 speed, Manual Transfer case that I ordered. Driven approx 120 miles once a week at the least and a couple of short trips a week too. Less than 10%.

Bought new, changed the oil at 1k, 3k, 6k and went to Mobil 1 5-30w Tri-syn and changed at 5k segments. At 23.5k, went to Pennzoil 10-30w Dino.

Below is the Orginal Mobil 1 Test and the Pennzoil Test.

Miles on Truck/Miles on Oil;

23.5k/3.5k Mobil 1, 28.6k/3.3k Pennzoil

Results ppm/% Comments (blank=normal)(x=Not tested)
    Wear
    Copper 27,21
    Iron 9,6
    Chromium 1,0
    Lead 2,2
    Aluminum 2,2
    Silicon 0,3
    Tin 2,x

Additives
    Molybdenum 2,79
    Sodium 7,x
    Magnesium 1130,28
    Zinc 651,988
    Potassium 16,x
    Phosphorus 574,853
    Calcium 763,2108

Physical Properties
    Water negative, 0
    Fuel negative, 0
    Antifreeze negative, 0
    Soot/solids 0,x
    Oxidation 52,0
    Nitration 134,0
    Sulfur 0,22
    TBN 9,x
    Vis@100 C (cSt) 10.1,9.44

There was a Oil change at 25k with the Pennzoil so there was a change between these two UOAs.

Fuel Milage has been the same to a little bit better, so much for this outfit getting better gas mileage on 100% Syn oil....

I plan to change the oil when it's got 3-4k miles or 4-5 months which ever comes first and UOA once or twice a year just to keep up with the trend.

I changed it to Pennzoil 5-30w for the winter and will run 10-30w during the rest of the year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Damn good wear...the Pennzoil Dino did most excellent.....I'd say you should be good for a fairly extended OCI for sure....So to answer your question....the cSt@100c for this used oil (both) were around 10.0...the GC will probably beat that....based on that I'd run it for 5K and go from there.....get a UOA and lets see....I bet you'll find the GC does well in that motor...

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Thanks again Sarge! Now all I have to do is find more of it!! The search continues tomorrow.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Anybody ever heard of or used purepower oil filters. They say they are cleanable and reusable. They also say they are about 90% more efficent at filtering then throw away filters. I haven't used them, just stumbled across there site and was wondering.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Pure Power Lifetime Filter System--There is a quick test in the Test and Tune section of the April 06 (newest)issue of HotRod magazine(pg 130).Looks impressive.

blue
    2000 firehawk

ive always used mobil 1 synthetic; thats what gm uses for a reason they think it will cause less failures and lower rate of warranty repairs. thay also use synthetic diff, fluid in all the car and trucks since 2000 for the same reason lower failure rates.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by mo gomez
    ive always used mobil 1 synthetic; thats what gm uses for a reason they think it will cause less failures and lower rate of warranty repairs. thay also use synthetic diff, fluid in all the car and trucks since 2000 for the same reason lower failure rates.
    If your saying GM uses Mobil 1 cuz it is the best available oil out there...man you need to learn about marketing and sales.
    What characteristics does Mobil 1 present to you to make this assumption of superior performance say over a Red Line/Royal Purple or a Dino Castrol? UOA's/VOA's do not support your statement at all.
    I love a generic definitive statment.....
    " they think it will cause less failures and lower rate of warranty repairs. thay also use synthetic diff, fluid in all the car and trucks since 2000 for the same reason lower failure rates."
    Who is they?
    Lower failure rates compared to what?
    GM DOES NOT put synthetics in every car and truck delivered since 2000....quite the opposite....only the Vette/That funky lil truck and the 05 and above GTO come with synthetic...ALL THE REST COME WITH DINO OIL.
    I await your response.
    Last edited by Sarge; 02-19-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

cough** cough** just keep waitin.

thelug
    all my cars mobile 1 every mile on the ticker

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by thelug
    all my cars mobile 1 every mile on the ticker
    I know a LS1 with over 200K on the clicker...nothing but Pennzoil Dino 10-30 from day one. So what do we do now? Sorta an empty ass statement wouldn't you say?

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

I don't know, seems everyone has their preference. Everything from el-cheapo generic Dino oil to Royal Purple??

Here's my $.02 worth.

VALVOLINE SYN POWER Fully Synthetic in all the Cars.
    '86 IROC-Z - 10W30 Year Round
    '04 Monte Carlo SS - 5W30 Year Round
    '02 WS6 T/A - 10W30 Mar - Oct / 5W30 Nov - Feb (On 5W30 right now)

No LS1 Piston Slap
    No LS1 Oil consumption*

VALVOLINE SYN POWER Fully Synthetic 75W-140 Limited Slip Gear Oil in the T/A & IROC (W/ P-Trac Additive) No more rear end howl!

*Have read many posts about guys with low, mid, and high mileage LSX engines consuming as much as 1 quart a month! I don't know. Mine has no noticeable loss of oil at all!
    Changed oil 1600 miles ago and still at top of hash marks. Have not added a drop! Only use WIX filters from Central Auto Parts down in Cocoa.

I can understand High mileage oil consumption, but the rest, with no obvious engine problems or leaks??? They all seem to think it's normal?? Someone even said that GM said that a quart every 1500 miles or so is normal?? WTF over??

Not complaining, just trying to understand why oil consumption seems to be a common occurrence with the LSX engines and mine apparently doesn't use a drop (an obvious exaggeration, of course it uses a little, but not noticeable on the dipstick).

The only oil consumption issues I've ever had were with a high mileage '97 Grand Prix GT, and when I had bad intake valve stem seals on the IROC. Replaced them with viton seals and problem went away.

As far as my LS1, my only guess is that I drive the T/A as daily driver. 18 miles each way to work then home at 50-70MPH. Oil has chance to fully warm up. SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess)

IROC has run VALVOLINE Synthetic since the engine went in in 1993, still clean as the day I put it in.

I'm happy with it, guess that what counts in the end!

My $.02

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Any alloy block engine has to be built with extra clearances to anticipate the extra expansion and contraction that occurs in an alloy block. So some extra oil consumption can occur during warm up driving.A small price to pay IMHO for the weight savings.

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Any alloy block engine has to be built with extra clearances to anticipate the extra expansion and contraction that occurs in an alloy block. So some extra oil consumption can occur during warm up driving.A small price to pay IMHO for the weight savings.
    Yea, I know about that, I'm just puzzled as to why mine seems to be an exception to the norm. And the 1 quart to every 1500 miles still seems a tad excessive for modern High perf engines. IMHO
    Last edited by RainMan; 02-24-2006 at 08:39 PM.

sonnyred
    My ls1 dos'nt have piston slap nor does it burn oil,and dos'nt leak.Mobil 1 all the way.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The "trick" or "secret" to a good claen running engine is reasonable Oil Change Intervals ( OCI) with a SM API rated oil. There is no "best" oil....synthetic or dino....

Mystic Teal
    98' Formula

Hey Smales , I got a $100.00 bucks says you slice .

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0to60n4.5
    Hey Smales , I got a $100.00 bucks says you slice .
    Gambling is illegeal at "Bushwood" and I never "Slice"...

I was also wondering if everybody is using 5.5 quarts with stock filter or can we squeeze in the full 6 quarts? I also like your new avatar Sarge.

Mystic Teal
    98' Formula

That was the reply that I thought I might get ....... Thanks.

Red
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Did the change to Amsoil 0-30W with a K & N filter over the weekend.
    Turns out a NAPA store a few miles from my house is a Amsoil dealer.
    Motor seems to run quieter and smoother after the change. Thanks
    to Sarge and the rest of you for providing a very helpful and imformative
    thread, probably the best I've seen on this site so far.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

My local Chevy dealer puts Pennzoil Synthetic blend 5W30 in everything that doesnt get Mobil 1 factory fill. That was what was in it when I bought it. I usually get my oil changed at a Valvoline Instant Oil Change near home. I checked the specs on both oils (Valvoline Durablend 5W30) and from what I can discern, its a wash. I know that the add packs are proprietary trade secrets. Change intervals are 3K. Whaddaya think,Sarge?

Page 15 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181935455565 ... LastLast

Thread Information