40 8.21%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.49%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161733435363 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I'm a Oil Junkie

This is a discussion on I'm a Oil Junkie within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What would be the next thicker oil up from amsoil 5-w-40,for hot driving,not concerned about cold start up....

What would be the next thicker oil up from amsoil 5-w-40,for hot driving,not concerned about cold start up.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Brianss1
    What would be the next thicker oil up from amsoil 5-w-40,for hot driving,not concerned about cold start up.
    Well oils are rated depending on pour point a various degrees...cSt@XXc....then we have the HTHS...these are the film thickness and pour point factors......so....you can have a XX-40 weight...and various oils will really be like a XX-40/41/42/43 etc. up to an XX-49...same with the 30 wieght so on and so forth.....
    So Amsoil 5-40 has a cSt@100c of 14.5
    HTHS of 4.2
    If you want a "thicker" oil look at say (I'll stay with synthetics as that is the flavor you are wanting to compare)....
    Castrol SynTec (Synthetic Blend) 10-40 cSt@100c of 15.9
    Pennzoil High Mileage (Blend again) 10-40 15.5
    RedLine 10-40 is 15.3
    ...So any of the above mentioned oils are thicker than Amsoil 5-40.....

Wow now that is some good info.So not all 40 weight's are the same as well as 30 and 50 weight.I noticed that all the oils you posted are 10-40 and not 5-40 does that have a play in the thicker oil ? When an oil get hot the first number means nothing ? I am I correct ?

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    I was just kiddin' with you in my earlier post... but if the dealer installed a junk engine, how could there be nothing wrong with it at all? I hope you didn't have the dealer that installed the junk engine do the rebuild.

I imagine it would be very hard to blow an engine; I've never tried and never will, but it seems like you would burn your lips on the exhaust tip while trying to do so.
    cause one the salses man that sold it to WAS a family friend of 50 years and we thought we trusted him, when he said it was new, they cleaned it up really good, it started to make a lot of vibrations and then i got worried about it

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    cause one the salses man that sold it to WAS a family friend of 50 years and we thought we trusted him, when he said it was new, they cleaned it up really good, it started to make a lot of vibrations and then i got worried about it
    STFU Zboner you lil shit...big people are talking here....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Wow now that is some good info.So not all 40 weight's are the same as well as 30 and 50 weight.I noticed that all the oils you posted are 10-40 and not 5-40 does that have a play in the thicker oil ? When an oil get hot the first number means nothing ? I am I correct ?
    Don't get too caught up in the first number....a 10 weight is flowing at like 35 below zero....a 5 weight is flowing at like 45 below zero...so forth.....
    your looking for operating temp thickness....or the top number....once again....an oil like 0-30 Amsoil is thicker than most (if not all) 10-30's.....just flows better at start up.....I highly recommend 0-30 Amsoil for a stock (or near too it) LS1......
    Now if you wanna stay in the 5-40 range....Amsoil 5-40 is thicker than Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5-40......I would recommend a 15-40 Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo 15-40......for our LS1's under the right conditions.....
    Not to get absurd here....but 5-40 Mobil 1 turns to a low 30 weight after a few hundred miles...then builds it's viscosity back to the 40 weight range after a few 1000 miles per many UOA's.....
    What is it your after and why?
    STFU Zboner by the way.....go play on your BigWheel and STFU....

Just trying to educate my self here and maybe learn something even though its tough to do sometimes.I am running 5-w-40 amsoil right now,because I know the mobil 1 that is recomended is a little to thin.Sarge what do you sell or make this stuff everyday ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Just got my latest UOA back....the Shell Rotella 15-40 is doing a GREAT JOB.....

We have a soup of 5 quarts Chevron Delo 15-40/2 quarts Amsoil 15-40 and 8 oz's of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment in right now.....big shot of Moly and Boron...so we will see.....
    Sarge,

Are you looking for the best overall protection mix or a good racing/high rev mix? Am asking what motivated your research?

I have been using GC 0W-30 mixed w/ 6oz. of VSOT w/ good results. However, it looks like the Shell or Chevron 15W-40 offers good protection that can only get better while using VSOT. Your testing is done in the LS1 engine correct?

Pretty cool stuff.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Just trying to educate my self here and maybe learn something even though its tough to do sometimes.I am running 5-w-40 amsoil right now,because I know the mobil 1 that is recomended is a little to thin.Sarge what do you sell or make this stuff everyday ?
    I learned awhile back that engine oil plays a significant role in performance....much more than I ever dreamed....we all knew engine oil had "protection" and "longevity" impacts on our old hotrods...but some guy was putting Castor Bean Oil in his race car and as a young gun that just blew me away....I have been "learning" researching ever since....Not sure what your last sentence is saying.....I don't sell nothing to nobody.....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450
    Sarge,

Are you looking for the best overall protection mix or a good racing/high rev mix? Am asking what motivated your research?

I have been using GC 0W-30 mixed w/ 6oz. of VSOT w/ good results. However, it looks like the Shell or Chevron 15W-40 offers good protection that can only get better while using VSOT. Your testing is done in the LS1 engine correct?

Pretty cool stuff.
    I want it all man......protection and performance.....yes I love that VSOT man.....I didn't have any in lately but right now I have 5 quarts Chevron Delo 15-40/2 quarts Amsoil 15-40 and 8 ounces of VSOT for a good shot of Moly and Boron man.....we'll see what the lab has to say about that soup ....yes I am running a modified LS1.....
    What we fall into so often is the thin versus thick wars......Thin oil increases performance and thick increases protection.....in the middle is your "perfect" blend...only UOA's are gonna get you there.....A stock LS1 will do plenty fine with GC or Amsoil 0-30 for 99% of the drivers out there....start modding/racing and you need a thicker oil.....the HDEO (diesel) oils have a highly attractive add pack that you cannot find in "gasoline engine" oils.....so I am running some real world test and verifying butt dyno with lab results.....
    It gives me something to do

From your knowledge on oils I thought you might work in that field like a resercher/developer or salesman for a company that's all I meant.My car has a big stall converter and is built up with a cam and head package so it runs a little harder then a stock car so I just want to learn more about what makes oils thicker and last longer and burn better in engines that are under more pressure.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Good man....no I wasn't offended (that would be impossible)...just did not know what you meant.....Yup...my LS1 is a heads/cam/nitrous/3200 Stall etc. etc. car.....the "normal 30 weights just dont get er done.....

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

OK Lets continue the discussion. We have beaten viscosity to death and I think I know what to look for. Now please educate me on friction modifiers. Moly and Boron for instance. I think we are looking for a lubricant that holds its viscosity and is "slippery" as it can get. Right? Is the only way to get percentages of F/Ms is to do a VOA? They are probably trade secrets or some other BS. Whaddaya think?
    Bowtie good! Blue oval not so good! Bob in the PRK

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Ok....Good comment and question.....Let me cut and paste and excellent summary I keep....to start with...
    Here is a comprehensive list (best you'll find outside of the lab) of multifunctional additives and their functions. Notice the same chemicals and compounds perform more than one function.

Multifunctional Additives (in Alphabetical Order) listed as to Functional Agent, additive category, general or specific chemical compound, and how it works, respectively.

Antifoamants or foam inhibitors (Protective Additive): polymers such as silicone polymers and organic copolymers of the silaxane's; creates a lens that reduces the bubble's surface tension.

Antioxidants or oxidation inhibitors (Protective Additive): ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, aromatic amines such as organic tolutriazoles, thiadiazoles, diphenylamines, olefin sulfides, carboxylic acids; decomposes peroxides and terminates free radical reactions. Increases temperature of base oil at which base oil may tend to oxidize. Oxidation of oil promotes polymerization of sludge particles and increases viscosity.

Anti-Wear and Extreme Pressure Additives (Surface Protective Additive):
    ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, Organic Sulfur-Phosphorus-Nitrogen compounds, Borates and Borate Esters, Tricresyl Phosphates, amine phostphates, and other phosphate esters, Chlorine compounds, and lead diamylcarbamates, lead and barium naphthenates, sulfurized olefins; protective film interacts at various temperatures and pressures to provide either a plastic interface or to provide a compound which shears at the surface.

Demulsifier (Performance Additive): hydroxyalkyl carboxylic esters, alkenlycarboxylic esters; keeps water separated from lubricant.

Detergents (Surface Protective Additive): metallo-organic compounds of sodium, calcium, magnesium, boron phenolates, phosphates and sulfonates such as alkylbenzene sulfonic acids, alkylphenol sulfides, alkylsalacyclic acids; Lift deposits from surfaces to keep them suspended.

Dispersants (Surface Protective Additive): Alkylsuccinimides, alkylsuccinic esters (alkenyl succinimides); chemical reaction with sludge and varnish precursors to keep them acid neutralized and to keep them soluble. Detergent-dispersants often are the same chemical or come in compounds to accomplish the combined function(s).

Emulsifiers (Protective Additive): Polyisobutylenesuccinimides, alkenylsuccinate ester/salts. polyester amides, alkyl aminoesters; promotes a stable emulsion or mixture of oil and water.

Friction Modifiers or Friction Reducers (Performance Additive): Organic fatty acids and amides, lard oil, high molecular weight organic phosphorus and phosphoric acid esters such as Tricresyl Phosphates, ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, family of diphenylamines and amides, and olefin sulfides. Reduces coefficient of friction formulated lubricant in the boundary lubrication regime. Some VII's also provide friction reduction.

Metal Deactivator (Protective Additive): ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, family of diphenylamines and amides, and olefin sulfides, heterocyclic sulfur-nitrogen compounds; inhibits corrosive effects of oxygen with metals and decreases metal interaction with oxygen compounds to reduce oxidation of oil.

Oxidation Inhibitors (See Antioxidants).

Rust Inhibitor (Surface Protective Additive): Barium sulfonates, amine phosphates, phosphordithioates, sodium thizoles (for coolants),

Pour Point Depressant (Performance Additive): polymethacrylates (PMA's); reducing wax crystal formation and increases solvency of oil at low temperatures. May be part of VII package.

Seal Swell (Performance Additive): nitriles, specific esters, organic phosphates and aromatic hydrocarbons. Increases volume of elastomeric seals.

Surfactants or Surface Active Agents (Protective Additive): family of diphenylamines and amides; usually part of the antioxidant package. Also provides enhanced friction reduction and allows oils to "climb" or spread on and over surfaces. Decreases but does not destroy surface tension

Soot Control or Soot Inhibitor (Protective Additive for diesels): Organic Barium compounds; keeps soot in suspension. Usually part of the dispersant package in diesel formulations.

Tackifiers (Performance Enhancement): copolymers of ethylene and propylene; helps oil cling to surfaces. Very useful in geared machines such as transmissions, differentials, and chains.

Viscosity Index Improver or Viscosity Modifier (Performance Additive): Olefin copolymers (OCP's), hydrogentated styrene-diene copolymers, styrene esters, polymetharylates (PMA's), mixed alkyl methacrylate-vinyl-pyrrolidines, aminated ethylene propylene, mixed alkylmethacrylate ethylene/propylenes; reduces viscosity change with temperature. Increases viscosity of base oil as temperature rises when base oil tends to thin. Some VII's may also act as dispersants by incorporating dispersant compounds.

So as you can see there are multiple "friction modifying" agents in todays oils...like Rotella has no Moly but tons of Phospherus....Red Line oils have tons of Moly...both excellent wear prevention agents....you want the "whole" package.....rust inhibiters....
    performance enahncers ( also classified often as friction modifiers)...etc.
    The Virgin Oil Analysis done often are of "older" oils.....example would be Chevron Delo....last year no Moly...this years batch got gobs of Moly....I go to the manufacturers product spec sheets and watch.....also send in various oils for VOA's which often times are done for free to keep the labs database up too date....
    Yes the oil companies dont give out there receipe for sure...so knuckleheads such as myself and many others send in "new" oil to see what is in it with the spectrum analyzer......some sad ass shit aint it Like Mobil 5000...loaded with salt...yes salt....
    So the bottom line is this....you want..
    1. Friction Modifiers
    2. Cleaning Agents
    3. Rust Inhibiters
    4. Viscosity Enhancers to maintain viscosity and not "wear" out of grade...
    Many oils have a couple of the main drivers covered but lack in other areas....so often times we will add say a Valvoline Oil Treatment to enhance the friction modifiers and cleaning agents of say a Pennzoil 10-40 dino.....or Castrol GTX....and voila...you get RedLine $6 buck a quart type of performance out of $10 bucks worth of Pennzoil....funny how this works aint it

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

Sarge---you da man! And you got your chemical engineering degree where? Thanks for all the info--this has been a verrrry informative thread!
    By the way, what is the problem with Mobil 1 and aircraft engines? I seem to remember (Brainfade) they bought a few engines a couple years ago on a class action suit, and they have a disclaimer now about aviation use.
    Last edited by Bowtie Guy; 12-22-2005 at 08:08 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy
    Sarge---you da man! And you got your chemical engineering degree where? Thanks for all the info--this has been a verrrry informative thread!
    By the way, what is the problem with Mobil 1 and aircraft engines? I seem to remember (Brainfade) they bought a few engines a couple years ago on a class action suit, and they have a disclaimer now about aviation use.
    The University of UnderTheFuckingHood
    My degree isn't engineering.....but I have spent some time in the area of oil and it's abilities/reactions to the internal combustion engine that is for damn sure. The purpose of this string (to me anyway) is to get folks thinking/researching and learning...this prevents some INTERNET expert to come along and tell us all about the next best thing.....and they do on a daily basis....I believe the issue with Mobil 1 was its inability to deal with fuel and insolubles in the oil and the resulting failures associated with it....If I remember correctly......I dunno.....
    Bottom line is....there is no one perfect or one BEST oil....I recommend oils based on answers to questions....and most of the times the oil I recommend may be different than the oil recommended to another...often times folks think I'm flip flopping when that is the farthest thing from the truth.....
    I will share this...the lowest wear numbers and highest dyno numbers I have ever gotten in my Black Beast is this...
    5qts Shell Rotella 15-40
    2qts Amsoil 15-40 Diesel Marine
    8ozs Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment
    Go figure If one uses the charts and info in this string you can tell really quick that the above "soup" is chalk full of additives.....that you cannot get in a single source oil.....

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

Does UTFH have a fight song? Cheerleaders?

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Sarge, you need to patent that mixture and start your own motor oil company. That would give us someplace reliable to get our good stuff.

Sarge's Commercial:

(An Old Crazy Bastard lookalike lifts his head out from underneath the hood of a GTO while holding some random tool)

Sarge: Are you tired of having to sift through 39 pounds of bull sh** when looking for the best performance motor oil for your ride?

Until just recently, I was too. That's why we here at UTFH University created Sarge's Soup Motor Oil company...

(UTFH Cheerleaders dancing in the background)
    Last edited by Tobynine9; 12-22-2005 at 02:10 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah I need gearhead cheerleaders.....I nominate Keliente...oh shit....now she is gonna weld my lips shut and beat the crap outta me with her ratchet....

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Yeah I need gearhead cheerleaders.....I nominate Keliente...oh shit....now she is gonna weld my lips shut and beat the crap outta me with her ratchet....
    she's gonna ya!

Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161733435363 ... LastLast

Thread Information