Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

IM NEW! I have a camaro i love.. so ls1 family, what next?

Well. I'm lost for what to do next. I have a 2002 z28, I've put some money into it. Now just trying to figure out what to do next. I bought my car about a year ago and it already had a ws6 style hood with RAM air intake, 80mm bbk tb and a slp strut bar for increased handling. Recently I had pacesetter long tube headers and a y pipe installed. With that install I found out the car was already tuned. Had a new motor and transmission installed and already had cat-back Slp loudmouth exhaust. (Haven't been under the car) so with all that and money not being a major issue, what next? This car is my daily driver sometimes,(I work the same job with my brother, usually he drives) but I'd still like to be able to keep it that way. my goal is about 450 HP.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome! I recommend putting some $$ into the chassis before upping the horsepower. Subframe connectors, lower control arms and a panhard bar are all a good start.

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

I agree suspension is a must mass air flow mad coils for better fuel economy. With all this done you should be real close if not past 400 hp ms3 cam would be my next step then you'll be sitting pretty
    [/SIGPIC]granatelli mafs,slp cold air pkg,smooth bellow,ported tb, msd ignition,lt pacesetter headers,off road y pipe,lm2,100 shot.4l60e by performabuilt transmission level 3 3800 stall and 3.73's gears,cut outs, bmr suspension , control arms, phb, sub frame connectors,3.5 aluminum drive line

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

Unfortunately, my suspension is stock :/ so yes i guess i will be adding that to the to do list. Any recommendations on product brands? I havent gotten my car on a dyno but Ive wanted to. Just so expensive, just to tell me the power I have. Any gearing recommendations or should i keep stock gearing? i know i know, so many questions!! @wildkardboyz when you did the sub frame connectors, did you notice a big difference?

As far as fuel economy im getting around 20 in town. When I drove from washington to central texas (in two days lol) i got about 28-30 mpg.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went all UMI on our car. In the midst of installing their K-member and front control arms now. Good stuff that is made right here in Pennsylvania and they also sponsor our site. You can see all the rear pieces in my profile pic.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

What does UMI mean??

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good question -- I'll shoot Ryan a PM and ask.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by EPIDEMIC View Post
    What does UMI mean??
    It's a company, they make really nice stuff and i too recommend them.
    Welcome to the site by the way

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. They make great stuff! UMI Performance is the complete company name. Here is a link to their site: UMI Performance Inc.

I still am curious as to what "UMI" stands for though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

What does UMI mean??
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Good question -- I'll shoot Ryan a PM and ask.

1st rule of UMI is you do not ask about UMI......etc...

Seriously, they are a great company that makes high quality suspension products while not raping our wallets.

You can count me too as a UMI guy.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

USA Manufactured Ingenuity ....just made that up

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

Oh man! I forgot that first rule.. crap. Haha. Well, looks like I'm adding another bookmark to my browser and doing more work. Goodness, if I spent half the effort doing homework when I was in school as I am doing for my maro, I'd be set.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'd recommend doing these first if you haven't already.

Do a complete fluids/filter change. Spend some time going over it. Get all the necessary things functioning and fix all the nuance things out of the way first. No point in throwing mods at it if you have needed repairs.

Now if that's all done, like everyone else has posted...suspension and drive train mods. You won't see that much in performance but if you don't you'll end up wishing you had.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

Oh yes! That's the first thing I did. I've spent the last 6 months going from system to system doing filters and fluids. I also picked up some drilled and slotted rotors, and some ceramic pads. But thanks for the advice! I'm actually looking forward to suspension and stiffening up the body a bit.

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

well i on the other hand went different than jeff did see i wasnt a member and i was out west in wy i now live in pa lol but thats another story.. i did bmr everything as far as the gears i went with motive gears and i did 3.73 gears good all around from the stocks and man did it wake the car right up.. after i did my susspension i went straight for the headers wow that made a huge difference as well... another guy to look at is new area performance parts.com the owner is mark and he is down to earth and awesome guys they will shoot you straight.. i have purchased everything from this guy no regrets at all.. let me know with what ever i can help with i am always glad to see another hopped up camaro on the road......

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

by the way im from texas as well the valley. maybe make it that way this summer
    Last edited by WILDKARDBOYZ; 03-09-2012 at 09:28 PM.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

Headers were my most recent upgrade and man, oh MAN!! with no cats as well, this thing is loud!! im just waiting to get pulled over because of the volume with the slp loudmouth bullet too. Anyways what was the website you mentioned? I have no idea where the valley is lol, im very very new to texas, i came out of the northwest which is why my paint is still good. Thanks for the help

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

hate to be the bear of bad news but with out H/C/I you will not get in the 450 range unless you spray. dont do the MSD coils like previously stated because there one of the worst HP/$ expense and not worth the 850 for them to get 1 MPG if that. personally i only had LCA's and a PHB on my ss camaro and didnt have a hard time hooking at the track on drag radials. as far as cams go its not the bigger the better like some would have you think but more what works best together. i just had a 228r on a 112 lsa with a set of 243's and a small stall and was running 11.7-11.6 with just an ok 60'. not to mention running off and leaving guys that put MS3's and such in a stock headed ls car. just do your research on here and know exactly what YOU want.
    2000 ss camaro, forged lq9 370 short block, stage 3 PRC 243 heads, fast 102 w, big mouth throttle body, MS3 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, stage 3 t-56, monster stage 3, pro 5.0, 4.10's with moser axles, bmr tq arm, lca's, phb. SOLD (thankfully)!!!

New project: 1968 step-side, partial restore, ls/th400 swap. hopefully boosted pics and more info to come!!!

Having a small cam is like having a small dick, everytime you go to use it you wish it was bigger

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

What is "H/C/I"? I looked it up but wasn't having any luck. What's the cost effectiveness of it?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What is "H/C/I"? I looked it up but wasn't having any luck. What's the cost effectiveness of it?
    Heads / Cam / Intake

All depends on what you get as far as cost goes. Prices vary largely based on brand. Your stock heads are 241's. Next best option is 243's or 799's. Then, you get into even better heads like Trick Flow and AFR.

Cams pretty much all run the same price

Intake upgrade would be something like a FAST set-up. However, your LS6 intake you have now is a pretty good intake.

Thread Information