Idle Problems Need Help!!!!

This is a discussion on Idle Problems Need Help!!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just bought a wrecked z28 that had a front end impact and i just got done tearing it apart ...

red
    1998 camaro z28

Idle Problems Need Help!!!!

I just bought a wrecked z28 that had a front end impact and i just got done tearing it apart this morning. I can start the car if i pump the throttle but cant keep it at an idle. Is there a sensor or code that thrown somewhere that i can clear to make the car idle again? Also i had disconnected the battery and plugged the o2 sensor in and MAF sensor back in but the car just wont idle what do u guys think the problem would be?

Well it's normal for the idle to be grumpy after the battery has been disconnected until the PCM relearns it - shouldn't take long though. If the SES is on you'll need to read the code(s).

red
    1998 camaro z28

ok yea the light is on and it was like this before we disconnected the battery ive for some reason heard something about a fuel shut off valve from a front end collision but i would think the car wouldnt start period in this case. Also the bags were deployed proble throwin out a code for those also, could that effect the idle?

Sorry, don't know what happens with air bag deployment - maybe someone will chime in - thinking air bag related issues would throw the service "vehicle" light? I'd start with the SES and see what's there.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

I don't think GM ever used those fuel cutoff switches, more a Ford thing.

Read the codes. if the car is halfway driveable go to any auto parts store and they'll read them for free.

An impact in the front could have damaged about any of the sensitive sensors.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crowe View Post
    I don't think GM ever used those fuel cutoff switches, more a Ford thing.

Read the codes. if the car is halfway driveable go to any auto parts store and they'll read them for free.

An impact in the front could have damaged about any of the sensitive sensors.
    Yea i did some more research and it says that with a front impact it throws out a code to shut off fuel to the injectors and i believe that 3k is an override to start it and the bags blew so i know i need to replace the inertia switches and its driveable but i cant keep it runnin long enough to drive it. I dont want to slip the clutch at 3k all the time, so ill trailer it up and put it on a scanner, thanks for your help.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Some of the sensors that help control idle may have been damaged or their wiring may have been damaged. Specifically, the throttle position sensor and IAC valve. They're both mounted on the driver's side of the throttle body. I'd check to see if there's any noticeable damage to those parts.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

I just did a cam head swap I forgot to tighten the clamps for the air tube at the MAF sensor car would start then die when I let off the gas tightened the clamps and voila... Ensure there's no leaks around that area - just throwing out my little experience to you.

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by mikeaford View Post
    I just did a cam head swap I forgot to tighten the clamps for the air tube at the MAF sensor car would start then die when I let off the gas tightened the clamps and voila... Ensure there's no leaks around that area - just throwing out my little experience to you.
    you are awesome we threw a computer check on it and thats what finally came out was the MAF sensor is shot. Ne one got ne ideas where to get one for a descent price?

Before replacing the MAF I'd check the ENG SEN fuse, and look up the diagnostics for the code(s) it's throwing.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Glad I finally helped someone I'll sleep a little better knowing I did something worthy! Take it easy and let me know if you have any other issues because umm I bought the one made on Friday!

red
    1998 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Before replacing the MAF I'd check the ENG SEN fuse, and look up the diagnostics for the code(s) it's throwing.
    i already hooked it up this last week and i threw only one code and it was the MAF sensor. I had already checked all the fuses and relays and the car will actually start and run if i keep it at about 3k but as soon as i let off sucks air and dies. Its def the MAF sensor.

Thread Information