Thread: Idle problem

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Idle problem

Well, I say Idle problem. What happened is this: I took off the throttle body, to get the water pump out, then replaced the water pump. I stuffed some rags in the intake manifold because it got dark and the adhesive was going to need to sit overnight anyway. That was last night.

Tonight I put everything back together and started up the car - it ran fine, except idle was around 800 rpm instead of the usual 600. Also, upon driving, it tends to keep revving around the same amount with the gas depressed a little, or not. Before, it would slow down pretty quickly when you let go of the throttle.

To me, it seems like the throttle body may have just not gone back on right, because I reused the stock gasketing - maybe I need some permatex or something. I had to pull the EGR too though and it may not be in right. Just curious where I should start tomorrow. Damn it.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Throttle doesn't feel sticky or anything and I cleaned it up pretty nice yesterday so I don't think that's it... should probably mention I think the TB and EGR went on well too. Hope I didn't crack the intake manifold or anything but it was overheating before I replaced the water pump and i guess it could have melted a little or something. AIR blockoff plate on the driver's side leaks a little and the underhood was kinda smoky when it was running earlier, nothing thick, but it seemed to come from the back of the engine bay. That's about all I think; hope somebody has an idea.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

checked the oil and coolant... isn't sucking coolant and there's no milk in the oil.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

it sounds like it may be sucking some extra in around the tb/egr connections... i'll try the egr first but i wanted to know if anyone's had anything like this happen before. may be a vacuum leak, the hose going to the tb is displaying a little cracking and may be causing that. 190k :O

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

sounds like a small vacuum leak

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

replaced bad-looking hose... also tightened EGR connection but still having the problem. definite sucking sound coming from EGR hookup - I think it may be time to get rid of it altogether. i'll try to pull it off and put it back on when i get home but if the damn car still won't run right i'm gonna junk it.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you tried spraying soapy water around the TB/EGR connections to verify the leaks?

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

well i didn't do that but i pulled off the EGR about 20 mins ago, bent it so it was being torqued (1 screw design = teh retard...) 360 degrees instead of leaking. Now it idles right so I just need to fix the exhaust leaks (HEADER TIME!) and it'll be good to go Thanks ya'll.

Thread Information