Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Artic White
    02 WS6 Trans Am

Idle issue 2002 TA

Searched thru other "Idle issue" posts but didn't see my exact problem. My 02 TA (auto) has 34K miles, it idles fine when cold. However, once warmed up it will stall or almost stall when I come to a stop. It stumbles around 400-500 when I let off the throttle (if it doesn't stall). I recently replaced the plugs and wires (partly in an attempt to fix the idle issue), I thought it fixed it at first but it showed up again shortly after driving it a few days. I have to keep the idle up when I'm sitting at a red light or just slow down to pull into a parking lot. When it does stall, it starts right up again and also it doesn't appear to have this problem when the car is in park. The only thing that crosses my mind is that I had some transmission work done a while back and had a higher stall installed (which I regret). I seem to remember the car doing this a time or two after getting it back but it seems to have gotten worse over time. Any ideas?

Additional info: Stock tune, only mod is a lid and the higher stall converter.
    Last edited by TA76; 02-21-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Start by cleaning the MAF, throttle body and IAC. I take it your SES light is not illuminated?

Artic White
    2002 Camaro Z28

Mine's doing same thing right now too. Im about to take it to the speed shop and let them work on it and probalby have it retuned, i think its a fuel management issue. mine throw the code everyone in a while for the low curicit to the maf senser and high curcuit to the maf-yeah both. but the 02 extension on 02 sensor on the left burned a while back, i rewired it but iv ordered another to replace it, seems to have started then, if you added headers you may check the extension to see if its burned. happens alot. i had to unhook it to find the spot.
    -
    also i looked and found the idle control sensor on the throttle body was bad, iv replaced it but actually made it run worse. im sure that cause the computer was retuned to he old off settings.
    -
    its may be two weeks but ill keep you posted.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

adding the stall will cause this......need to have the idle bumped up a little bit. Mine did the same thing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    adding the stall will cause this......need to have the idle bumped up a little bit. Mine did the same thing.

Can you elaborate? Both a stock converter and "high stall" converter are going to be slipping at idle.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It's due to the aftermarket stalls being smaller and lighter and not having as much rotating mass. I'm sure there's a more correct way to fix this issue with idle air but the easiest and quickest way is to give it a couple hundred rpm....problem solved. Normally you see this the most when shifting from park into reverse or going from reverse into gear. That's not to say his issue is 100% converter related but it's very common to have stalling issues after putting an aftermarket converter in. Doesn't hurt to clean the MAF and TB as those should be maintenance items anyhow. I would even look for a vacuum leak such as in that pcv hose where it bends to go into the intake but if it's tune related it wouldn't surprise me and since he said it started right after the converter install that immediately makes me suspect the tune.

To the original poster:
    I strongly suggest getting a good tune.....there's no reason to regret a higher stall. It's by far the best mod you could've done....you just need to finish it by being tuned for it. That's why I always recommend a tune for stalls when people ask. Some get away without a tune but especially when you get into the 3400+ rpm stalls you really need a tune. The shift points and lock up points need to be changed along with the misfire counts which will cause it to randomly unlock on occasion. A lot of the tranny stuff is subjective too so if you can have someone tune it to what you personally like that's even better. What size stall do you have?

Artic White
    02 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks for the info everyone, extra helping of thanks for Orion! I'll find out the stall and post that info asap. Yes, no codes / SES light... just weird idle when stopping (or after a rev it a bit). I did try cleaning the MAF, IAC & TB.

Artic White
    02 WS6 Trans Am

OK, got the info it was a TCI StreetFighter:

TCI StreetFighter Torque Converters 242931 - SummitRacing.com

So, do you think I need to have the car reprogrammed?
    Last edited by TA76; 02-26-2013 at 06:14 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would....I can't believe you're not having other issues like it randomly unlocking or hitting the rev limiter on shifts.

Artic White
    02 WS6 Trans Am

Well, to be honest I pretty much baby the car. Especially since the trans took a crap when I barely got on it. Transmission guy said it was a common problem with the 1-2 shift on these units. On a whim I decided I might want to hop the car up a bit one day and I should go ahead and do the stall now. A couple of years later I've only put about 3K on the car and no other mods. Do you think the stall is too much for a car with only a lid mod?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

no.....the stall is a great mod. Where you are you located? It would be nice to get a log done on the car to see exactly what's going on but my best guess is it's the stall. I believe all you need is a tune.

Artic White
    02 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks again for the advice Orion. I'll look into the tune and let you know how it turns out. I'm guessing a mail order tune should work fine for this.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'm glad I ran into this thread, I'm having the same problem! Sometime the RPMs hit rock bottom on my automatic. I was thinking about getting a tune after a SLP lid and ported TB installed. Quick question, does your car also keep you from going above 120 when flooring it?
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Artic White
    02 WS6 Trans Am

Guerrilla, hate to admit it but I've never had the car that fast. She is basically a garage queen. I'm going to try the tune the PCM route and see it that fixes my problem. I'll post here with the results.

Orion, missed your earlier question about my location... Birmingham Alabama.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Hey it's always better to baby these things than to do something stupid and crash it

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by TA76 View Post
    Searched thru other "Idle issue" posts but didn't see my exact problem. My 02 TA (auto) has 34K miles, it idles fine when cold. However, once warmed up it will stall or almost stall when I come to a stop. It stumbles around 400-500 when I let off the throttle (if it doesn't stall). I recently replaced the plugs and wires (partly in an attempt to fix the idle issue), I thought it fixed it at first but it showed up again shortly after driving it a few days. I have to keep the idle up when I'm sitting at a red light or just slow down to pull into a parking lot. When it does stall, it starts right up again and also it doesn't appear to have this problem when the car is in park. The only thing that crosses my mind is that I had some transmission work done a while back and had a higher stall installed (which I regret). I seem to remember the car doing this a time or two after getting it back but it seems to have gotten worse over time. Any ideas?

Additional info: Stock tune, only mod is a lid and the higher stall converter.
    That's your problem right there, the performance converter has a smaller O.D. and the idle (along with other things) must be adjusted.

SteveC

Artic White
    02 WS6 Trans Am

Reprogram fixed it, runs great now!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad to hear it.....now go run the dog shit out of it a few times and see exactly why a stall is the best mod out there for an a4 car.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Orion You forgot to mention gears also are one of the best mods for the A4 cars also....3.73 is what I put in, and the car burns through first,(on cold street tires) half way through second and scratches third.....not to mention that a tune that changes the shift points helps out to.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

So it was ultimately a computer or tune issue?

Thread Information