Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Idle issue 2002 TA

This is a discussion on Idle issue 2002 TA within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic Orion You forgot to mention gears also are one of the best mods for the A4 ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    Orion You forgot to mention gears also are one of the best mods for the A4 cars also....3.73 is what I put in, and the car burns through first,(on cold street tires) half way through second and scratches third.....not to mention that a tune that changes the shift points helps out to.
    I didn't forget them. The only way I'd do a gear change is if those gears are inside a 12 bolt. Even without the 12 bolt swap you look at the money invested in a gear swap and tenths gained and then look at the dollars spent on a stall to tenths gained and the stall wins hands down. The 10 bolt is a ticking time bomb really.....I just never recommend anyone put money into those things. I know some guys have luck with them and personally know people here running boosted cars on the stock 10 bolt....they're the few lucky ones though. Last thing I want is to give someone advice to drop a few hundred dollars into a gear swap and then have that 10 bolt puke them out on a hard launch.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Thats great to hear that it was only a tune issue.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by TA76 View Post
    Thanks again for the advice Orion. I'll look into the tune and let you know how it turns out. I'm guessing a mail order tune should work fine for this.
    No it won't, no 2 cars are the same, each has its own little quirks (just like people), you need to get the vehicle on a dyno, and have a professional tune the vehicle to what it is exactly doing on the dyno.

SteveC

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    No it won't, no 2 cars are the same, each has its own little quirks (just like people), you need to get the vehicle on a dyno, and have a professional tune the vehicle to what it is exactly doing on the dyno.

SteveC
    a mail order will work just fine for limited mod cars. When you get into heads/cam type mods I would get a full dyno tune but even then Frost has tuned enough heads/cam cars to where his mail order tune even for that would probably br pretty dang close.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    a mail order will work just fine for limited mod cars. When you get into heads/cam type mods I would get a full dyno tune but even then Frost has tuned enough heads/cam cars to where his mail order tune even for that would probably br pretty dang close.
    I know in my vehicles case the A/F ratio @ WOT was 15:1 stock from the factory (stock motor, free ram air, SLP lid with straight bellows), the tuner had to set it back to 13.2:1. I also had a myriad of problems coupling the new TC to 3.73:1 rear end gears, my vehicle would not hold gear, stalled at stop light, and overall ran crappy. After the dyno tune it was smooth sailing.

Steve C

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I know in my vehicles case the A/F ratio @ WOT was 15:1 stock from the factory (stock motor, free ram air, SLP lid with straight bellows), the tuner had to set it back to 13.2:1. I also had a myriad of problems coupling the new TC to 3.73:1 rear end gears, my vehicle would not hold gear, stalled at stop light, and overall ran crappy. After the dyno tune it was smooth sailing.

Steve C
    those are relatively easy things to correct.....nothing an experienced tuner wouldn't be able to fix with a mail order tune.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information