Thread: Idle issue..

Pewter
    2000 Trans AM

Idle issue..

So I have a 2000 Trans am I am having some idle issues just want to see what you guys think.. So when I start the car The idle goes up and down from 1000 -500 RPM for about 2 min after a little it will idle normal.. then if I put my A/C on the idle will drop to the point it wants to turn off that I have to accelerate to keep the car on.. again after a little it will go to normal again.. it will do this every time I start the car. Ideas?

I have the following mods: the guy I got the car from told me he got it tuned but I am thinking maybe it was a bad tune..

Fast 90mm manifold
    90mm TB
    Cam
    Pacesetter headers
    Off road Y
    Corsa 3' Exhaust
    Comp Valve springs and pushrods
    SLP Air Lid w/ K&N Filter
    180* Thermostat
    Stock Bottom End/Heads

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBulletLS1 View Post
    So I have a 2000 Trans am I am having some idle issues just want to see what you guys think.. So when I start the car The idle goes up and down from 1000 -500 RPM for about 2 min after a little it will idle normal.. then if I put my A/C on the idle will drop to the point it wants to turn off that I have to accelerate to keep the car on.. again after a little it will go to normal again.. it will do this every time I start the car. Ideas?

I have the following mods: the guy I got the car from told me he got it tuned but I am thinking maybe it was a bad tune..

Fast 90mm manifold
    90mm TB
    Cam
    Pacesetter headers
    Off road Y
    Corsa 3' Exhaust
    Comp Valve springs and pushrods
    SLP Air Lid w/ K&N Filter
    180* Thermostat
    Stock Bottom End/Heads

BOLD is most likely the problem.

Get some MAF cleaner from any parts store and clean it good, DO NOT TOUCH THE WIRE'S. You just spray it real good and let it sit and dry off. Since it most likely hasn't been done or has been a long time, I'd do it 2-3 times before installing it back on.

K&N filters have a bad habit of messing with the MAF. It's the excess oil that owners forget to let air dry for a few hrs before re-installing it. The oil gets on the MAF and messes with it.

Another area to look at is the IAC & TB sensors. The throttle body could be gunk up with excess blow by oil from the PCV. This will effect the idle.

Check these items and then report back. Could be something as simple as a tune up.

Pewter
    2000 Trans AM

What can I use to clean the MAF? And what kind of oil should I put on the air filter as I read that as well?

Navy Blue Metallic

It's not what kind of oil to use with the K&N it's the amount of dry time. Most ppl don't follow the instructions and let it sit for 30mins - hr and throw it back in. IIRC it's suppose to sit for 3 or more hrs wrapped in newspaper.

I use paper filters.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

My car had a kn filter on it when I got it. I always let it dry overnight after cleaning it and use MAF cleaner at least twice a yr. I had a slight idle issue until the first time I cleaned it.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Pewter
    2000 Trans AM

Thanks! doing this today when I get home, how is exactly do I oil the filter? do I damp a napkin and just rub it on? I was planning on doing it when I got home around 4 pm and re install the filter and everything at night around 8 pm to let everything dry.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Check the data stream and voltage from the IAC and if it is off, pull it, clean it with a quality cleaner and reinstall. Also make sure you do not have K&N oil on the MAF.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBulletLS1 View Post
    Thanks! doing this today when I get home, how is exactly do I oil the filter? do I damp a napkin and just rub it on? I was planning on doing it when I got home around 4 pm and re install the filter and everything at night around 8 pm to let everything dry.
    There is a kit you can pick up from just about any auto parts store that kn makes. Just sprays on. Get a good even coating that is light. Go too heavy and it all just builds up on the MAF causing issues.

Pewter
    2000 Trans AM

THANK YOU!!!!! It worked!!! Idles like a dream now!!

Navy Blue Metallic

Another car saved from K&N

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Good to hear! I let mine sit for 30-45 mins after oiling mine. If you ever clean/oil yours, wrap the filter in newspaper or a paper bag so the paper soaks up any excess oil.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Good to hear! I let mine sit for 30-45 mins after oiling mine. If you ever clean/oil yours, wrap the filter in newspaper or a paper bag so the paper soaks up any excess oil.
    I actually let my filter sit overnight just to be on the safe side.

Thread Information