Thread: IAT sensor

GROUND KONTROL C.O. dneemorelos's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

IAT sensor

Well I don't really know how it happened, but one of the wires for the IAT connector came out, and needs to be re-crimped. Only thing is I tried for a while to get the (metallic) contacts out so that I can crimp the wire back on, but it won't!! lol. And I don't wanna break nothing. Anybody know how to take the contacts out of the IAT connector correctly? thanks
    "Faster, Faster" she said.....
    (SLP Lid, Smooth Bellows, Cats removed, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, Mobil 1,NGK plugs, MSD wires.)
    On the way....subframe connectors, cam, ported t/b, tranny cooler, dynotune.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Its just a GM two prong connector. Splice in a new one/used one. They are really cheap. Ill PM you some links if you need them. Got pics of said problem first?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is a special tool that you can get from Radio Shack or an automotive parts store. It is shaped like a HEXAGON with six sides, and each one has a different style tool for releasing wires from the connector. In a pinch, you might be able to use a paperclip, small piece of wire, or a screwdriver from an eyeglass set to probe the connector and release the small metal tab. The wires obviously snap in from the rear of the connector and you may need to carefully remove the moisture barrier (if so equipped) to access the tab. Been there... done that... and it can be a challenge.

Last edited by pajeff02; 03-21-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Correction

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Its just a GM two prong connector. Splice in a new one/used one. They are really cheap. Ill PM you some links if you need them. Got pics of said problem first?

Unfortunately I don't have pix, but like u said it's a two wire connector. One wire came off and just needs to be crimped back on. Yeah lemme see some links on trying to get a new one. Thanks. I guess I'll just cut it down and resplice a new one on.

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    There is a special tool that you can get from Radio Shack or an automotive parts store. It is shaped like a STOP sign with eight sides, and each one has a different style tool for releasing wires from the connector. In a pinch, you might be able to use a paperclip, small piece of wire, or a screwdriver from an eyeglass set to probe the connector and release the small metal tab. The wires obviously snap in from the rear of the connector and you may need to carefully remove the moisture barrier (if so equipped) to access the tab. Been there... done that... and it can be a challenge.
    Yeah, I tried to remove one of the connectors and I just couldn't get it off. I tried prying each of the 4 sides with a small flathead, looking for the release tab, and no luck.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

same thing happened to me. What i did was strip the wire, fold it in half and push it through where its supposed to be crimped cus i couldnt get that thing out for the life of me. The fold made it thick enough so its like crammed in the so i know its always touching and wont short out. The little rubber piece to keep water out keeps the wire from moving also so i know its good. been like that for months now and works great.

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    same thing happened to me. What i did was strip the wire, fold it in half and push it through where its supposed to be crimped cus i couldnt get that thing out for the life of me. The fold made it thick enough so its like crammed in the so i know its always touching and wont short out. The little rubber piece to keep water out keeps the wire from moving also so i know its good. been like that for months now and works great.

hmm...def. an option. thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

should be able to get it with a thick paper clip. The problem will be moving the prong around. You need to push in on it and insert the paper clip to release the barb then pull it out. Gets tough when there's no wire hooked up to it to push and pull on the prong. Probably easier to track down a new one and solder it in place.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Hobby shop.....brass tubing.....make an extractor tool

Used a piece of a broken radio antenna once

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    should be able to get it with a thick paper clip. The problem will be moving the prong around. You need to push in on it and insert the paper clip to release the barb then pull it out. Gets tough when there's no wire hooked up to it to push and pull on the prong. Probably easier to track down a new one and solder it in place.
    Already ordered a new one. thanks guys. I'm just gonna splice the wires and wire in the new one.

Thread Information