Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I want 450 Hp..

This is a discussion on I want 450 Hp.. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; hey man how have you been? I'm the guy in orlando with the kicker subs.... I wouldnt worry about the ...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

hey man how have you been? I'm the guy in orlando with the kicker subs.... I wouldnt worry about the rear end too much a lot of people will tell you different but being you have an auto it is MUCH easier on the tranny than an m6 and people rarely break the 10 bolts with autos if you were an m6 car I'd say rear end first but since your an auto I'd wait. I'd worry about the 4l60e blowing out with all that power LONG before the rear going the 4l60e is only rated to 350ft lbs of torque and is known to be pretty fragile.

anyway to get 450 at the wheels your going to need heads and a cam and you still may not do itwithout very good heads. If your car was a 6 speed 450 would be no problem with a decent set of heads and a cam but the auto will show a lower number at the wheels. It will probably be faster down the 1/4 but will dyno less, thus the reason dyno numbers arent everything....

Another thing is that you NEED a stall converter a built ls1 with a cam will be a nightmare if not impossible to drive on the stock stall. A hgiher stall converter will allow the idle to be raised without it wanting to push through the brakes at a stop light and the higher flash point will help it move out from any speed. In fact I would go ahead and possibly get a stall in there before you do anything a full bolt on ls1 car with a decent tire and 3600 stall can kiss 11 seconds in good conditions down here in FL. That may be fast enough for you but if not then proceed with the build. I have a 3600 FTI stall waiting to go into my car as I'm typing this hopefully I'll get it in soon
    Here's what I'd do.
    243 heads (ported by your company choice)
    Custom spec'd cam in the 230's duration and .600 lift (I like the eps lobes)
    Underdrive pulley (since you will have the crank pulley off anyway)
    FAST intake and tb (will be worth a good chunk of hp with the heads/cam)
    3600 stall (a must before or with the build)
    Tune

Dan-

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

He's right a auto is going to be alot easier on the 10 bolt than the manual. Keep your eyes open on your local craigslist I have seen 12 bolts for our cars come up for less than half the price of what they cost new, also the numbers you want would be easily obtainable with a good shot of laughing gas, and if done right it is vary safe. Boltons and gas would have you there, then throw in a stall and gears and if you decided thats not enough a cam designed for gas and you would be set.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Not gonna happen cam only. The list redbird555 made is pretty accurate. Stall is a must.

White
    2001 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    hey man how have you been? I'm the guy in orlando with the kicker subs.... I wouldnt worry about the rear end too much a lot of people will tell you different but being you have an auto it is MUCH easier on the tranny than an m6 and people rarely break the 10 bolts with autos if you were an m6 car I'd say rear end first but since your an auto I'd wait. I'd worry about the 4l60e blowing out with all that power LONG before the rear going the 4l60e is only rated to 350ft lbs of torque and is known to be pretty fragile.

anyway to get 450 at the wheels your going to need heads and a cam and you still may not do itwithout very good heads. If your car was a 6 speed 450 would be no problem with a decent set of heads and a cam but the auto will show a lower number at the wheels. It will probably be faster down the 1/4 but will dyno less, thus the reason dyno numbers arent everything....

Another thing is that you NEED a stall converter a built ls1 with a cam will be a nightmare if not impossible to drive on the stock stall. A hgiher stall converter will allow the idle to be raised without it wanting to push through the brakes at a stop light and the higher flash point will help it move out from any speed. In fact I would go ahead and possibly get a stall in there before you do anything a full bolt on ls1 car with a decent tire and 3600 stall can kiss 11 seconds in good conditions down here in FL. That may be fast enough for you but if not then proceed with the build. I have a 3600 FTI stall waiting to go into my car as I'm typing this hopefully I'll get it in soon
    Here's what I'd do.
    243 heads (ported by your company choice)
    Custom spec'd cam in the 230's duration and .600 lift (I like the eps lobes)
    Underdrive pulley (since you will have the crank pulley off anyway)
    FAST intake and tb (will be worth a good chunk of hp with the heads/cam)
    3600 stall (a must before or with the build)
    Tune

Dan-

Hey man I remember you, im good. Ill be finishing up my system tmrw I kept the monsoon subs because they have good mids. And yeah your list if about the way I want to go, But like I said before I want to stay away from the spray. I wish there was a local good Ls1 shop here in central Florida. Where my buddy is getting his is300 built is a good shop they do a lot of high-end jobs, but its mostly tuners and Euro cars. not to say they dont work on american cars they do, I just want a shop that mostly works with f-bodys
    2001 Camaro SS, LM 1, BMR LCA, relocation brackets, BMR springs, adj panhard bar, smooth below, lid, sub-frame connectors weld on, strut brace
    2000 WS6, ls6 intake, sub-frame connectors, slp maf, slp cat delete with slp y-pipe, electric cutout, strut brace, smooth below, slp lid, bmr LCA and RLB

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 01SsRacing View Post
    Hey man I remember you, im good. Ill be finishing up my system tmrw I kept the monsoon subs because they have good mids. And yeah your list if about the way I want to go, But like I said before I want to stay away from the spray. I wish there was a local good Ls1 shop here in central Florida. Where my buddy is getting his is300 built is a good shop they do a lot of high-end jobs, but its mostly tuners and Euro cars. not to say they dont work on american cars they do, I just want a shop that mostly works with f-bodys
    Did i say anything about spray in my post if so I didnt mean to put it there lol. The list I put together is you staying off the juice that combo should put you well into the 11's without an issue but like I said a properly setup bolt on ls1 with a 3600 stall and good DA will net you a high 11 sec pass. IIRC your car is stock minus a lid right? If so I'd throw on headers, catback, ported tb, under drive pulley, and then a stall and see where you are if you still want it faster then consider the H/C because that will NOT be a cheap road to go down. The bolt ons and stall if bought smart (used and new) will probably cost around 1500. A good H/C setup will probably cost 2500 and would need all those bolt ons anyway.

Also I should throw in that all the bolt on mods can be done in your driveway with just basic tools I've done more than my fair share of bolt ons with these cars everything from a lid to a complete engine assembly from shortblock to running engine so if you need a hand just let me know. Lashway (good ls shop in s. fl) is considering a shop in otown but idk if they will do it yet.
    Last edited by redbird555; 01-04-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

You have an a4, forget the rear end unless youre on stickies, even then if you were a little soft on the launches youd probably be ok.
    You said bolt ons and a cam. If you got a FAST intake, a big cam, and a good tune i think you could be pushing the 450hp mark. Something like a TREX cam. If you replaced the heads then you have a lot more options on the cams since the heads will help out A LOT. You will need a stall, and it would be very smart to get some suspension pieces. You live in florida so getting a good tune will be easy, go to Jeremy Formato.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Not gonna happen cam only. The list redbird555 made is pretty accurate. Stall is a must.
    +3 to this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information