Red
    1999 camaro Z28

Unhappy i think i am in trouble

guys today my Z28 temp go hi above the middle line, after checking the coolant it was very low??where dose the coolant go?i fill it again and the engine was running and the coolant reach the top of the radiator my uncle notice that the water was move like bubbles,,,he said maybe you have blown head gasket i back home and its low again,please help,

Note:this is the third week for my Z28 in the last week i noticed the second fan always running after 3 to 4 minuts after starting the engine i hear it.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Check the oil, See if its contaminated or a milky substance.
    Check for any leaks, All hoses, rad etc...
    The best way to check for coolant leaks is to pick up a pressure tester. Fits over the radiator and you pump air into the system to pressurize it and then search for leaks.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Check the oil, See if its contaminated or a milky substance.
    Check for any leaks, All hoses, rad etc...
    The best way to check for coolant leaks is to pick up a pressure tester. Fits over the radiator and you pump air into the system to pressurize it and then search for leaks.
    J
    I agree......check and see what your oil looks like. If water is mixing in there you'll definitely know. Look under the front end of the car real good and look for leaks. Check the back of the water pump too and make sure it's not leaking out of the weep hole.
    Just in case you weren't aware. When you fill the coolant up via the radiator it'll fill up and you'll think it's full until the t-stat opens and then the level will drop again. Are you waiting until the t-stat opens to put coolant in the car?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I agree......check and see what your oil looks like. If water is mixing in there you'll definitely know. Look under the front end of the car real good and look for leaks. Check the back of the water pump too and make sure it's not leaking out of the weep hole.
    Just in case you weren't aware. When you fill the coolant up via the radiator it'll fill up and you'll think it's full until the t-stat opens and then the level will drop again. Are you waiting until the t-stat opens to put coolant in the car?
    Beat me to it.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

There is also a chemical test for exhaust gases in the coolant which means blown HG.

edit: Just because coolant does not mix with the oil does not mean you don't have a bad HG......Neither HG that I blew on GEN I stuff mixed coolant with oil.....

Does you exhaust smell like antifreeze???

Also if you pressure test the radiator and the pressure drops but you see no leaks it is prolly a HG.

Not to be a downer but if you see bubbles you are prolly screwed.........
    Last edited by SOMbitch; 12-28-2009 at 12:12 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    There is also a chemical test for exhaust gases in the coolant which means blown HG.

edit: Just because coolant does not mix with the oil does not mean you don't have a bad HG......Neither HG that I blew on GEN I stuff mixed coolant with oil.....

Does you exhaust smell like antifreeze???

Also if you pressure test the radiator and the pressure drops but you see no leaks it is prolly a HG.

Not to be a downer but if you see bubbles you are prolly screwed.........
    that depends really.....there will be bubbles if he's watching the coolant before the t-stat opens. I've seen it a bunch of times....you'll get some random bubbles popping up as the car is coming up to temp.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yes indeedy, To check for a headgasket issue you could allways do a compression test, those are a blast on a lsx car....
    J

Red
    1999 camaro Z28

there is no milky substance all hoses are good,well i didnt focus about the exhaust smell i well check it tommorow,and i forget to tell the drive belt start make noises.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

If you can get your hands on a pressure tester you could pressurize the system and if it loses pressure but you do not see water anywhere then I think it would have to be a head gasket or cracked head/block.

I picked on up at Napa a few years back for $90 or something like that.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

....and after you get your coolant issue is figured out it would be a good time to change the thermostat too..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-28-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added a word
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by ali pontiac View Post
    there is no milky substance all hoses are good,well i didnt focus about the exhaust smell i well check it tommorow,and i forget to tell the drive belt start make noises.
    Sounds like your water pump is about to say "buh-bye". Happened to me. Pump started leaking a few weeks after the noise.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, I'm really thinking he's losing it out the weep hole or something. These head gaskets just aren't known to let go. Not that it never happens.....just not something you see very often.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Sounds like your water pump is about to say "buh-bye". Happened to me. Pump started leaking a few weeks after the noise.
    Yup.....same thing for me too

Never had any puddle on the driveway, but would go through a quart or 2 of coolant every couple of days.
    Few weeks later......total pump failure.

Pull the belt off & spin the pump pully.....see if that's making the noise.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i dunno about the LS1 but i know the intake gaskets are bad about leaking on the 3.8....fluid leaks out and evaporates so you never really see a leak....mine didnt even leak under pressure, but my fluid was low every few days.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    i dunno about the LS1 but i know the intake gaskets are bad about leaking on the 3.8....fluid leaks out and evaporates so you never really see a leak....mine didnt even leak under pressure, but my fluid was low every few days.
    One of the benefits of the ls1.... Since it has a plastic intake it doesnt need coolant running through it to cool it off like the v6 does so there isnt any running through the intake causing it to leak.

Red
    1999 camaro Z28

Ok guys i take it to mechanic thanx god its not the head gaskets,he show me wet wires under the throttle body ,he said maybe its from the water pump he well check it tommorw.thanx all for sharing

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Ok guys i take it to mechanic thanx god its not the head gaskets,he show me wet wires under the throttle body ,he said maybe its from the water pump he well check it tommorw.thanx all for sharing

Good deal!!!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

good to hear..... I didn't think it would be a head gasket. There are hoses that pass coolant through the throttle body....might just be one of those leaking too.

Red
    1999 camaro Z28

thanx all guys . i replaced the water pump it was bad.every thing fine now.

Thread Information