I really need some advice

This is a discussion on I really need some advice within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi I'm Josh and at 18 I'm about to get a decent paying job. I really would like to get ...

Josh_101

Smile I really need some advice

Hi I'm Josh and at 18 I'm about to get a decent paying job. I really would like to get an LS1, specificly a 98+ Trans Am, but I'm now thinking about having my brother's 95 z28 that he's trying to sell. The thing is though, it has a little over 232,000 miles and the motor is locked up. Its been sitting for over a year and a half, the fluids are still good except for motor oil. The motor oil is like sticking on the dip stick, and it has a little whiteness in a few spots, I think that means its got water in it. All the electronics except cruis control, fog lights and power window motors still work. I got this idea where my dad can buy it from my brother for like less than $2,000 and take it to an engine shop, (someone that knows how to work on an LT1) and then sell my car to pay back my dad. My caurrent and first car is a 94 v6 camaro, I'v been driving it for the past 7 months, its in good condition except for the crappy paint job on the front bumper and hood, so it should be worth around $4,000.

We can find an LT1 motor on ebay for about $2,000, or try to find locally for a good deal. How much could I expect the price in labor be to swap out the motor for one that runs? Since its been sitting forever anything else that should also be fixed?

When I get the job I want I can pay my dad back the money I owe him.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

if your dad is willing to spend money to buy the 95 and then rebuild the motor...why not just have him co-sign for you to get a loan. As long as you pay the payment on time it looks good on your credit report and his...his income to dept ratio will be a little worse but nothing major as long as he has good credit...then sell your old car and put all the money on your loan. Look for a private party ls1 because they usually go for a lot less then a dealer...get all the info then go to a credit union with your dad and do the paper work...if you get approved you'll need to bring the seller back to finalize the loan and the credit union will cut them the check. Thats what i did but without a co-signer...found my 2000 Z28 for 9000 on auto trader and talked'em down to 8700...just my .02 good luck

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    Personally, I wouldnt go with the 95. It's going to be more trouble than its worth. You'd be happier with an LS1 f-body. If you can, try not to get a 98 or 99, the LS1's in those had some "first year problems". Go with a 00-02 if you can get your hands on one, you'll be happier.

And your looking at AT LEAST $1,000 for an engine pull and replacement. And thats not counting any labor on the engine after they pull it out.

Josh_101
    Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    if your dad is willing to spend money to buy the 95 and then rebuild the motor...why not just have him co-sign for you to get a loan. As long as you pay the payment on time it looks good on your credit report and his...his income to dept ratio will be a little worse but nothing major as long as he has good credit...then sell your old car and put all the money on your loan. Look for a private party ls1 because they usually go for a lot less then a dealer...get all the info then go to a credit union with your dad and do the paper work...if you get approved you'll need to bring the seller back to finalize the loan and the credit union will cut them the check. Thats what i did but without a co-signer...found my 2000 Z28 for 9000 on auto trader and talked'em down to 8700...just my .02 good luck
    My dad has the money to do it, we dont need to do any loans, I dont have credit either. I dont want to sell my car and then do work on the z28, in case something goes wrong with the LT1, or if the total is more than what my car is worth. We do have a couple other vehicle's I could drive, but dad would make me drive the crown vic instead of his s-10. I hate crown vics, its such a granny car.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

you don't need credit..hence the co-sign part...it will look good on your credit report and will help you to start building credit, it takes a long time..plus you'll be able to get a ls1 which is what you said you wanted. I was just saying that's probably the best way to go..and most places you can pay off the loan whenever you want with no penalties

Josh_101
    Yeah I need some education on this credit stuff, I dont know about it at all. But I do know that credit cars are bad, everyone I knew that credit cards got into a crap load of debt

Josh_101
    I'll try to have my bro just give me the car and I'll give him monthly payments.

Blue
    2000 Z-28

LS1!!!!!!!

i bought an LT1 had it for 6 months traded it in for an LS1 and am much happier. LT1s are still great engines but the amount of work you have ahead of you i would get buy an LS1 car. As mentioned above you can get them for $8000-$9000. Besides that's what you said you originally wanted. Always go with your first instinct.

Good Luck

An LT1 with that kind of mileage isn't worth much.....so you have to rebuild the motor, do several electrical fixes and obviously all of the suspension and or wear parts probably need to be replaced soon with that many miles and unless you plan to drive it forever you will not be able to sell it for what you have stuck in it. Plus, the LS1 is way stronger than the LT1, it would be well worth it to pay more money up front and get the LS1 cars.....even if you aren't happy with it you will be able to get your money back out of it, otherwise you would be stuck with the LT1. Has the Tranny ever been rebuilt on the LT1? Brakes, bearings, rear end, shocks.....has any of this been redone on the LT1........IMHO there is way too much to invest for the return on the LT1. You can get a 98+ F-body with under 100K for under 10,000( I have seen them for about seven or eight if you look hard and get lucky)

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

IMHO get an LS1. You won't regret it. But, as with any used vehicle, check it out first. Drive it, ...and not just around the block. Get a CarFax report (or similar research info). Look around some. Don't rush it. Negotiate. You'll find the right one.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    you don't need credit..hence the co-sign part...it will look good on your credit report and will help you to start building credit, it takes a long time..plus you'll be able to get a ls1 which is what you said you wanted. I was just saying that's probably the best way to go..and most places you can pay off the loan whenever you want with no penalties
    Good advice^^^^^for building credit.
    However....for a car....I would wouldn't buy/mod anything I couldnt just utilize disposable income...right now young folks should build a nest egg....pay yourself first...then go play

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    ...right now young folks should build a nest egg....pay yourself first...then go play
    Excellent advice!

Thread Information