Navy blue metallic
    98 camaro ss vert

Question I only need 400 BHP !!!!!!!!!

I know this sounds a ridiculous request but here we go.

I have a stock Camaro SS convertable auto. When recently visiting the US I tyre kicked some similar motors for a bit of fun with my Son, one of which had some dyno figures with it Rating it at about 400 bhp (unfortunately no spec sheet). It drove great...I realised that this was all the performance I'm likely to need out of my car but the question is this. What is the easiest way to get 400 bhp without making mods that are not needed? Its not a question of money, but simply one of not doing mods that aren't needed. I dont drag race, and I dont want to be the fastest car on the block.

There just seems to be sooooo many mods that probably dont actually fulfill there advertised potential and could eat $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but unless you plan on continuously uprating the performance above say 400 BHP, you just wont need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I live in the UK so I cant just pop any uneeded bits on e-bay cos there aren't many people over here that would need them.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If that's all you want I'd say get a LS2 put in it, or put a super charger on it and run low boost. This way it would be like being stock, but with more power. You can mod your LS1 too, and get 400hp cheaper but I don't think it would really be a better way if your not worried about cost.

NBM
    '00 Z28

400 to the wheels?

150 shot of Nitrous. Simple, cheap, power when you want it, no other mods needed.

chameleon
    98 T/A

well for longevity of the motor nitrous isnt the answer, turbo chargers get everything under the hood hotter than hell and they get a little pricey, a safe and secure way is a head and cam package, install headers and exhaust system you will get sound and power all at the same time

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

cam shaft and heads with alot of breathing mods [intake/ported tb and maf/good exhaust] It will cost a few grand, but you'll make a SHIT load of power to the wheels

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

i agree with dip. third shift i mean. just do a heads cam package with agood set of long tubes and a good exaust system.

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

Lid,longtubes,y Pipe,catback,yella Terra Rockers,and A Tune....heads And Cam Maybe A Bit Pricey For What Your Looking For And All Can Be Done At Home.....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

At the flywheel????

Get all the bolt-ons. Problem solved.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would probably do bolt ons, headers, and a modest cam. If you're looking for a jump in performance though a stall is the way to go with your auto. There should be a law somewhere that says a stall has to be the first mod on auto cars.

Navy blue metallic
    98 camaro ss vert

Thank you all fellas.

I get the message. Make it breathe in hard, free up the revs and get the gas out again.. cool.

All I need to do is trawel through the crap that all the manufacturers throw out and pick up some good quality bolt ons, put on some decent headers and a y pipe (I've got a magnaflow cat back on order) cam and intake,
    then hp tune it.

Job done.

Thread Information