red
    1999 trans am

Lightbulb I need Trans Am help!!!

hey hey everyone, I'm really new to this, but I know that you guys know alot more about this than I do... I just bought a '99 T/A (A4) with 95K miles. I've already added a Volant Cold air intake, upgraded the plugs/wires, and dumped the exhaust right before the rear axle. I am looking around the dallas area for a speed shop to have the engine upgraded, tuned with the new parts, and dynoed. I need some advice on what should be done. Also, this car is my daily driver so mpg is a huge factor.
    1) what would be the best cam/ head package that would maximize power and mpg without having to change the stall converter? Any tried and true brands to shop for? and what kind of numbers could I expect from this upgrade?
    2) I know long tube headers are the way to go, at what point do I look into a "knock eliminator"? and what headers are preferred?
    3)Is a LS6 intake worth the money?
    4)while I'm in the motor, would a new pulley set be worth the effort? and a LS2 timing chain, LS6 oil pump?
    5)ideas on what kind of 75-150hp wet nitrous setup I should invest in?
    6)anyone know of a good place to find a fully functional WS6 hood (outside of spending 1400 bucks) there are a few cheapo ones on ebay, but none seem to be functional, and i don't really trust those hoods fitting too well
    7)any ideas for a decent looking ratchet shifter for this car?

Sorry to post so many questions, I'm pretty much starting from scratch here...

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

first, mpg and cam/heads package doesnt go together, if you wanna do these things to your car forget about gas mileage. you can find a good ws6 hood at ws6store.com thats where im looking to get mine, i believe its 580$ functional/ready to paint. The ls6 intake is worth the money, thats one of the first things id do.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Ok, wow alot of questions lol
    First off, dont forget about your suspension and such. Ie sub frame connectors, strut tower bar. If you got the power you need too get it too the ground. Slicks or dr's would be a good idear
    Like said above, head/cam package and good gas mileage dont really mix. Depending on what type of numbers you are looking for would be the baseline for which cam you should go with.
    Also keep in mind your rear end isnt too strong.
    Depending on what your goals are, thats the route you should go. First off, should be getting your engine too breath and let that air out. You took car of the exhaust, although lt's and ory would also be a good addition.
    Harris speed works has some nice spray kits and are very resonable on there prices. They are a sponser so there link is availble. or harrispeedworks.com
    Also what is your budget?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Thread Information