White
    98 Camaro

I need technical info!!! LS1-LS2

Does anyone know what year they started using the 58 tooth crankshaft reluctor? I have an 05 GTO wich came with a 6.0 LS-2 but I bought it without an engine and due to my lack of funds I have purchased a 5.7 out of an 04 GTO to get it up and running. The major differences between the 5.7 and 6.0 besides the obvious displacement and performance upgrades are; the 6.0 has relocated the cam sensor to the front timing cover, the knock sensors have been moved from the lifter valley to each side of the block, and the throttle is fly by wire (eletronic instead of cable driven). Anyway, the LS-1 up to 2004 has a 24 tooth reluctor on the crankshaft and the LS-2 at least in 06 has a 58 tooth reluctor but I cant find any info on the 05. If the 05 LS-2 has the 24 tooth reluctor I'm good to go, If not I"ll have to pull the crank and change the reluctor. I think this info is hard to find because I have consulted with fellow mechanics, 3 parts departments at different dealerships, magazines, web sites, etc... and still nothing. The only shred of literature I have found in my favor is the GM Performance Parts book that says the 06 LS-2 used in the Corvette, SSR, and GTO has the 58 tooth reluctor. It says 06 not 05 so hopefully that means something. And I'm also trying to save the labor of pulling the engine apart to visually inspect it but if it must be done, it must be done. Thank You!

White
    98 Camaro

Wow, was this problem too technical? Anyone?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll be honest with you, I didn't know this answer by memory but I have the info here somewhere. I did a couple of quick searches and it looks like 06 was when the reluctors were changed over to 58x but I did read where someone said 05's had a 28x???? Let me do a little more digging and hunt out a mag I have here that has the info in it and I'll post back up with what I find out.

Thread Information