I need help. to sell or fix????

This is a discussion on I need help. to sell or fix???? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; SO long story short I have a 99 ws6 m6. I had a crook of a mechanic do a heads ...

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

I need help. to sell or fix????

SO long story short I have a 99 ws6 m6. I had a crook of a mechanic do a heads and cam swap back in 07. shortly after the swap the engine blew. I decided at that time to drop a 408 in the car. Well I bought all the parts, heads, cam, intake, and rotating assembly. Well after a year of this mechanic supposedly fixing my car he skipped town with my engine parts. Well here is my current situation. The car has sat for over two years without running. The body is in great shape but needs paint, the interior is perfect. The tranny has a lifetime warranty on it. I have the parts that are in the car. I am not sure what the mechanic stripped out of the car while it was at his shop. I don't know if the computer is still good, or what state the fuel system is in. I have the car and a brand new rotating 408 assembly with top end parts. I know off the bat I will need the entire valvetrain, heads, cam, intake throttle body etc,etc. I am not sure what else I will need.

So the new problem is I am in the Marine Corps and leave for Okinawa in 6 months. If I do fix the car it will not be till another 3 years. At which time I will just send the car to Texas Speed. I am no longer looking for a 9 second car. Truth be told this whole thing has put a bad taste in my mouth BOUT CARS IN GENERAL. So to fix it or try and sell it? If I do want to finish the car with mid grade parts just to get it running for a weekend cruiser how much do you guys think I will have to drop? WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'd fix it -- but I also do most of my own work so generally do not have to rely on others. I understand that your experiences have been pretty bad, so it's really up to you and how bad you want to drive your car again.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Like Jeff said, it is up to you. I would fix it. Get a FAST 102 intake with matching throttlebody and some nice assembled heads for it as well. I am guessing around another $3-$4k on parts and labor fees if not more or less. That bird DESERVES to live.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

So do you think 7k is a reasonable. Number to expect to get it fixed?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Store it, and wait till you get the itch from being over seas. Let it sit a while, and you will get over it, and want to get it running like it should. And pick a reputable shop this time. Lesson learned, I am sure.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

Like I said its going to Texas speed this time. This car was a gift to myself as a welcome home from Iraq. I never intended on getting rid of it. I feel like this guy( I won't call him a mechanic) has stolen a part of my youth.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Find him, get your youth back, or at least a little dignity. Catch it on tape, and post us a link.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

I have literally dreamed a running into him again.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Have you file a police report. They still prosecute theft in NC right? A-holes like this should be strung up.

Now for the issue you asked about, I'm like the others, store it, save some $$ while deployed, come back and look at it again.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Find him and post his name here for all us members to see...and avoid.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

His name is chris harwood. I have tried pressing charges. Cops say its a civil matter not criminal????? I hope I tin across him again someday.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I would store it and then do as you planned when you return.

Though I'm like Jeff and do all most all things myself as I get greater satifaction from having only my own hands on it.

My 01 Camaro left a bad taste in my mouth for cars too so I get where you're coming from there.

However like az gt eater states, I got over it and now am getting into a 3rd gen Camaro this go round.

I've tried walking away from f-bodies 4 times now over 18-20 years.

Always seem to end up relapsing like a junky.

Good Luck to You, and Thank You for Your Service..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-19-2011 at 02:16 PM.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

I think that's what is going to happen. I mean it can't get much worse. I just wish I could take it somewhere so they could tell me exactly what I need so I can start piecing it together

yellow
    2004 gto

First.. thanks for your service. When is comes to an fbody there is a labor of love involved with the car. Its not a matter of money, yet it is, but these cars are money pits. Its just the way it is. So i would save the car, plan your build and make it happen. Trust me, the first time you crank over you newly revived car it'll be worth it in so many ways. Good luck with it bro..

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

Thank you. I no longer even want a track car. Just something for a Sunday drive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Sounds like you have a short block from the description in your first post.

If you got the block, pistons (+ rings etc.), crank, oil pump, oil pan for a f body then you have mostly a blank canvas.

Cam, Intake & cylinder heads - depends on what you want. You can get good combos for cam & heads for as low as $1700 to as high as $2400. If you want all the Hp you can get a Fast 102 Intake & TB is what you want, Can't afford the $1600 for that then a really good intake is the LS6 (can get new ($450) & used ($300) on craigslist or ebay, also on here or the other site that shall not be named) plus a port TB for ($100 - $150) will give you decent gains in HP when combined with 243 heads & a good cam.

Sounds like you'll need to get all of the accessory drive stuff. You can find a wreck or on here some one part one out for the alternator/PS pump/ac/etc... and swap over

Make sure you have the 24 on the Reluctor Wheel for that LQ9.

I'm sure there's more but at least you have something to go on.

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Store it, and wait till you get the itch from being over seas. Let it sit a while, and you will get over it, and want to get it running like it should. And pick a reputable shop this time. Lesson learned, I am sure.
    Yep, unfortunately education always cost money. Just look at This as a education. Try to pick more wisely next time. Texas Speed sounds good to me. It's worth it to keep it ... I built mine with a S/C then moved on to Corvette. Still own the Bird with over 500HP and love going out on blasts every now and then. The car isn't worth too much to others .... To me ... It's worth all the money I have tied up in it. Maybe someday I'll sell her after I get over my speed thrill .... No likely though. ;-) There are not too many cars like these F-Bods. They are worth holding on to if you can. Good luck .... Thank you for your service !!!!

I'll give you $500 for the whole pile......

Honestly, like Jeff mentioned, I do my own work, so I don't see this as a setback. Your situation would leave a bad taste in one's mouth though.
    Do what you have to, but I would think that selling it would leave more scars, since you'll never get what you might have invested for a car that is still in pieces, especially this day and age when complete and running low mile 4th gens are cheap to buy right now. When you are in one that deep it's sometimes best to stick it out. Being in North Carolina (Nascar country) there are a ton of shops to choose from.

Sorry to hear about it, but it's not the first time I've heard of shops going under and taking several customers with them.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-21-2011 at 04:46 PM.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

Well I have most of the acc needed oil pump alt, etc. I have a complete rotating assembly. I don't want a 9 second car like I once did. So knowing I can budjet with a ls6 intake is great news. I has a fast 92. I want another but I can lice without it. I am financially. Stable recently married and can store it indefinatly at my folks house. My wife does not want me to sell it. She is jelious she never got. A ride in it. So not needing the money I really have no good reason to sell it. All I want out of it is a car I can jump in at the end of the day to undwind in and cruise Sundays with. I more want the rumble of a big cammed. 408 than anything. Thanks for all the advice and support guys.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Good you decided on keeping it.

Thread Information