Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree1Likes

I need HELP. My car won't start

This is a discussion on I need HELP. My car won't start within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Also looks like I forgot to hit send after my last post. I got to hear the sweet sound of ...

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Also looks like I forgot to hit send after my last post.

I got to hear the sweet sound of open headers.

I ran a temp ground from the ground pin in the EGR connector to a ground bolt and it started. Thoses of you that have hooked your EGR did you have to do this? I don't think so. If I had to bet here ever the MAF is grounded the EGR is ground also and it is a bad ground. So if anyone knows where MAF and/or EGR is grounded let me know so I can fix it right.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Really am glad to see you got her running again. This thread started a while back so it must have been quite a relief to hear that exhaust. I'll check for MAF but my books are for later models without EGR so not sure i can help with that one.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

MAF is ground through G110 -- which is one of the grounds on the back of the driver side head. Ground wire is black/white at the MAF connector and switches over to black at a connection labeled S110. This is also the ground for the fuel pump relay, PCM, engine oil level switch, clutch pedal position, park/neutral, and traction control.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here is the G110 schematic:

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok, found some more info. S110 is a splice, hence the "S" designatiion. It is located "in the engine harness, main branch, approximately 20 cm (7.9 in) from the powertrain control module (PCM) breakout".

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Jeff, is that from a 2002 (without EGR)? If so and the EGR is grounded with the rest of that than this makes perfect sense. I know I had voltage issue at my fuel pump relay and the MAF.

The ground at the back of the head, is that the one that is bolted to the coil rack? If so I really think it is good. Now I think I felt one on the back side of the head but I don't know how I could get to it except pull the header. Or the problem my be at the splice. I would like to fix it right. But I'm not totaly aganist grounding it out from the EGR connector and calling it a day.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Really am glad to see you got her running again. This thread started a while back so it must have been quite a relief to hear that exhaust. I'll check for MAF but my books are for later models without EGR so not sure i can help with that one.
    Honestly the car was down about one year. I backed over a man hole and bent the catalytic converter. So bought headers, motor and trans mounts, spark plugs, wires, and removed egr and air. After that it wouldn't start.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

you are getting close Blackcar. You are almost there.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The ground is all the way at the back of the head -- you can see it with a small mirror and feel it with your fingers. One of the bolts also clamps down the bracket for the secondary air diverter valve. If you removed the system from your car, that may be the issue. This is the only pic I have that shows one of the ground bolts and wires -- it was taken with the transmission out of the car obviously. I was able to loosen and tighten the bolt with an open end wrench without too much trouble. Removing the coil packs would free up more space to work if it is an issue. Just be careful of the OPSU if you play around back there. And yes, our car is a later model year and is not equipped with an EGR system.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I checked continuity from the ground pin in the EGR connector to the ground wire that is bolted to the back of the driver's side head and it was good. Checked for a problem around the splice and couldn't find anything wrong. So I made up my minb to just make my temp fix permanent. My temp fix was run a jummper from the ground pin to the ground bolt on the strut tower.

I cut the ground wire from the back (engine side) of the EGR connector. With my volt meter I tested to see if the bolt for the coil rack was grounded and it was. I put a ring on the and bolted it down. It wouldn't start, but I don't think I was getting a good ground. So I backed the bolt out of the head and tried it there put I blew the 50 amp IGN fuses. Replace the fuse with the one from ABS and moved the ring to a better ground on the coil rack. Same thing. Borrowed the only other 50 amp (can't remember where from) and bolted the ring straghit to the head and it blew it. So I decided I would run it to the bolt on the strut tower only problem I was out of 50 amps fuses so I put a 40 in and blew it.

Gonna buy some more fuses Tuesday. But probably won't have time to work on it again until Saturday.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The ground is all the way at the back of the head -- you can see it with a small mirror and feel it with your fingers. One of the bolts also clamps down the bracket for the secondary air diverter valve. If you removed the system from your car, that may be the issue. This is the only pic I have that shows one of the ground bolts and wires -- it was taken with the transmission out of the car obviously. I was able to loosen and tighten the bolt with an open end wrench without too much trouble. Removing the coil packs would free up more space to work if it is an issue. Just be careful of the OPSU if you play around back there. And yes, our car is a later model year and is not equipped with an EGR system.

Click for full size
    I felt around that one last night and tonight I got my mirror out and checked it out. I can't see anything worng with it. It seems if I remember right that is also the one for the driver's seat and it works fine.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Awesome sound. Highly reccomended for the soul.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Awesome sound. Highly reccomended for the soul.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Found out why I was blowing fuses. The purple wire that goes to the starter has a ring on the end. Part of the insulation where the ring is clamped to the wire is broke off (it is real brittle). When I was moving the wires away from the headers I must have turned that where the missing part was shorting out. I wrapped it with elec. tape and then with heat reflective tape.

With the EGR ground wire bolted to the head it starts fine. Unless I find what is wrong I will just leave it like that. I did notice in the pic Jeff put up of the ground bolt on the head that he has two wires ground there. I think I only have one. I loosened that ground bolt to get the bracket off for the AIR system but if I remember right those ground wires have rings on the ends not "U"s. So it shouldn't have come off.
    JayTA98 likes this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information