Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I need advice on issues with my fuel system

Well i just got back from my tuner and he could not complete the tune once again because the engine isn't getting enough fuel. we didnt even put it on the dyno. the car runs awful at WOT and you can hear some popping noises. Partial throttle is a lot better now tho. I replaced the fuel filter last year (2K miles ago) and put injector cleaner in my tank before i filled up the other day. the tuner told me that it could be something clogging the fuel pump and the "sock" on it that also filters stuff out. Should i try to do this myself? I'll have to drop the tank and take the fuel pump out. everyone said the chance that it's the injectors would be less likely. the tuner said once i fix the problem the car will run even worse because it's tuned best for the fuel it's getting right now. he said the VE tables were really messed up. any advice would be a great help!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have you physically checked fuel pressure yet? No sense in tearing into it until you know for sure it's a fuel pump issue. If it is the fuel pump you'll save major major bucks by doing it yourself. I see quotes on here from $900-$1200 to have the fuel pump replaced. You can replace it with a racetronix kit for ~$300 and it'll take you and a buddy an afternoon to do it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    have you physically checked fuel pressure yet? No sense in tearing into it until you know for sure it's a fuel pump issue. If it is the fuel pump you'll save major major bucks by doing it yourself. I see quotes on here from $900-$1200 to have the fuel pump replaced. You can replace it with a racetronix kit for ~$300 and it'll take you and a buddy an afternoon to do it.
    I have not been able to check the fuel pressure yet. i bought and then returned a fuel pressure tester because gas shot out of it (just after the metal attachment of the tester and got fuel everywhere... never got a reading). my tuner said it's not getting enough fuel... so it could only be the injectors, pump or filter right? I was going to order a walbro fuel pump for about $130. what else comes with the racetronix kit? i don't really have a lot of cash right now...
    Last edited by GottaHaveLS1; 06-17-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

also, whats up with the "in-line" or "in-tank" pumps. i know what that means but should i just get an in-tank pump like stock?

Thread Information