Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    99 Trans Am

I must say, I hated the TA today

This morning I took off in the TA after waiting for the piston slap to stop. Then my check engine light came on with a PO1415 .... it did off after a while. My seatbelt was all twisted and I had to take care of that. I got on the highway and had to hit it to merge into traffic and it had no balls .... as can be read on my thread in the auto transmission section. I could feel a vibration around town which told me that my leaky rear tires which need to be replaced are low on air.

I used to love this car. I hope that I don't continue to hate it and sell it.

yellow
    2004 gto

ok..

it's a car with some miles and age. maintain it.

Black
    99 Trans Am

I do. It has 212,000 miles. My point was all these things were in my face today. Everyone suffers from piston slap, vibrations, leaky tires, the PO1415 .....etc..... even if their cars were maintained.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by 79Firebird_99TA View Post
    This morning I took off in the TA after waiting for the piston slap to stop. Then my check engine light came on with a PO1415 .... it did off after a while. My seatbelt was all twisted and I had to take care of that. I got on the highway and had to hit it to merge into traffic and it had no balls .... as can be read on my thread in the auto transmission section. I could feel a vibration around town which told me that my leaky rear tires which need to be replaced are low on air.

I used to love this car. I hope that I don't continue to hate it and sell it.
    Treat it with some love...It needs you like in the girl needs love in 5th element. Dont let some stupid fucker own it.

TA =

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

Thumbs up

Remember what she use to be and slowly build her back. Think about how long she has been good

Bird Rehab Center ThunderChicken's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

It's probably just time for a rebuild with that kind of mileage. You'd get peanuts for her if you did sell her just because of the mileage... if the body is in good condition and you're willing to do the work, just rebuild her motor.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderChicken View Post
    It's probably just time for a rebuild with that kind of mileage. You'd get peanuts for her if you did sell her just because of the mileage... if the body is in good condition and you're willing to do the work, just rebuild her motor.
    Well actually the motor is still good and doesn't burn any oil. The transmission is newly rebuilt with new stall. The interior is perfect. The body is in great shape.

Maybe it's not that bad afterall.... just a bad day.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Well actually the motor is still good and doesn't burn any oil. The transmission is newly rebuilt with new stall. The interior is perfect. The body is in great shape.

Has the rear been looked at yet? With the engine solid and a new tranny/stall and those miles I would start to be thinking about that.

When it comes to mine I don't care if I have to put it on a skate board I'm never selling my baby. I regretted selling my 96's Firebird even to this day, I can't think of how painful it would be to depart from my 98 T/A.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Has the rear been looked at yet? With the engine solid and a new tranny/stall and those miles I would start to be thinking about that.

When it comes to mine I don't care if I have to put it on a skate board I'm never selling my baby. I regretted selling my 96's Firebird even to this day, I can't think of how painful it would be to depart from my 98 T/A.
    Yeah .... I had the axles replaced and the diff rebuilt probably 50k ago.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

She's just having a bad day....

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Very well could be. I wouldn't let it get you down, just focus on 1 situation at a time, tackel it and and move one. I have the same issues with my Jeep at times, seems they always come in 3's. Always little annoying things too, nothing major, thankfully.

Some maintenance could be needed that hasn't been noticed yet, bushings, bearings, suspension, etc. Pretty much if it hasn't be replaced by 200k, it's probably about time to. So depending on your free time, start taking a few things apart and examine them for wear, or for just a good cleaning.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Thanks for the encouraging words all. Truly, I couldn't imagine any other car for my daily driver. It may not seem like it, but I do keep up with the maintenance.... just have had a lot come on at once. I have replaced a lot as she moves in to her "second life".

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

no worries man, I feel the same way about my Z on some days, 2.73s, auto, no stall and a stock motor make me wanna curse sometimes when I'm forced to punch it on the highway. Then I think about how bad an econo box would have it in the same position and I feel much better lol

silver
    2000 formula

i bought my bird for 6k.......i have put at least that much in her since getting her to fix all the wore out......naggy crap that these cars have......my dad says i should sell......i dont think so

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    i bought my bird for 6k.......i have put at least that much in her since getting her to fix all the wore out......naggy crap that these cars have......my dad says i should sell......i dont think so
    Same position, bought her for 7K w/100k miles. Put atleast that into repairs, don't even wanna think about the cost of added mods, stupid shit keeps breaking, I keep fixing. Everyone in my family thinks I should sell it(partly because of the cost and partly because they can't stand how loud it is).

here's a quick list off the top of my head of what I need to get done.

1.Fix the stupid paint flakes around my license plate, around my fog lights, and passanger lower door panel.
    2.Re-apply new hockey stripes due to my slight fuck up when attempting to assure symmetry
    3.Get rid of annoying as hell SES code.
    4. Fix the stupid notorious F-body lean as best I can
    5. Get new rims cuz I can't stand looking at these damn snowflakes and the chips on them anymore.
    6. Fix cracked dash cuz I throw a tantrum each time I get in the car and see
    it
    7. Redo the soldering on the BCM cuz my radio keeps going on and off with no mercy.
    8. Get new black tailights cuz the ones I have have a dime-sized-melt- in- spot. The price I pay for not parking in the garage.

fuuuuuuuuuuuu

But I still can't imagine my life without her

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

203k on the clock here, just recently stopped DD'ing her due to getting a work truck. Power steering is leaking, header bolts need tightened, she needs a good cleaning (paintjob too really), suspension needs work, needs new tires. BUT, I would be pissed at myself for years to come for selling her....thank God my wife has talked me out of it twice now. Think of all the old guys out there who talk about the cars they wish they had kept. Times are tough, buying and installing parts is getting harder to do, at least for me. Just do what you can, when you can. You will be happy with her again. You'd be surprised the difference in your thinking when you fix even the smallest of issues...especially when the miles get as high as ours. Cheer up!!!

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Black
    99 Trans Am

Yeah ..... today was a better day. I was going to drive my `79 but we've got a chance for tornadoes in ATL and my drive is 33 miles one way. So I drove the TA, she must have known I didn't like her yesterday so today she was on her best behavior. These are the things that need attention:

Swap battery. The gauges are pegging everytime I turn the key on to crank it.

Swap rack as it leaks. I have to top it off around once per month.

Swap dash. It's cracked.

Pull Monsoon and repair LCD backlight and clean optical pickup. The darn thing has trouble reading discs.

Install new tires. Looking to go with the Firestone Oval whatevers.

Suspension. Install shocks/springs? .... lower?

Install airhorn (not necessity). I have a 1 gallon air tank and a 120 psi 12v compressor that will drive 2 100+ db freight train horns.

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

Go price a new car, it'll make you feel better.

Dan

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty"....Thomas Jefferson

yellow
    2004 gto

Yeah ..... today was a better day. I was going to drive my `79 but we've got a chance for tornadoes in ATL and my drive is 33 miles one way. So I drove the TA, she must have known I didn't like her yesterday so today she was on her best behavior. These are the things that need attention:

Swap battery. The gauges are pegging everytime I turn the key on to crank it.

Swap rack as it leaks. I have to top it off around once per month.

Swap dash. It's cracked.

Pull Monsoon and repair LCD backlight and clean optical pickup. The darn thing has trouble reading discs.

Install new tires. Looking to go with the Firestone Oval whatevers.

Suspension. Install shocks/springs? .... lower?

Install airhorn (not necessity). I have a 1 gallon air tank and a 120 psi 12v compressor that will drive 2 100+ db freight train horns.

dude!!! you in atl??? i need some help maybe. are you good with motors and such?

and i tell you what.. i have a rack off my camaro that has 80k miles on it. it did'nt leak, the tie rod ends were bad. so i replaced the whole rack like a dummy.. but it was a bday present from my g/f
    Last edited by jsmith564`; 04-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    dude!!! you in atl??? i need some help maybe. are you good with motors and such?

and i tell you what.. i have a rack off my camaro that has 80k miles on it. it did'nt leak, the tie rod ends were bad. so i replaced the whole rack like a dummy.. but it was a bday present from my g/f
    I'm actually in Woodstock but I work in ATL. I'm good with repairs .....etc.... been doing them for 30 years. Time is my problem .... I'm so busy between work and home these days.

FYI - my `79 is going to some old feller in Covington for paint hopefully in a couple of weeks.

What have you got going on?

Thread Information