Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I keep blowing turn signal lights?

This is a discussion on I keep blowing turn signal lights? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; my dream is to get back a 1st gen. i had a 67 bird but had to part with it. ...

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

my dream is to get back a 1st gen. i had a 67 bird but had to part with it. finding real parts drove me nuts. every one was selling parts as firebird, but nuttin was a fit, ugh... always had to cut and mod something to get parts on the car.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

well, hang onto that one, and get a 1st gen to go with it.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

too bad pres bush wasn't handing out bigger checks. i just saw a gold on gold 67 firebird up for 17k, formula 400 4 speed, damn...

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

no shit?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yep

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

even has the tach on the hood

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Part One

The reason your bulbs keep blowing out is because you have water leaking into the turn signal lens assembly for whatever reason. Trust me, I've gone through this problem. If the lens or housing isn't cracked, then the leak comes from where the lens is attached to the housing. Even the replacement lens/housing assemblies suck - before I put a new one in, I ran a bead of silicone into the joint between the lens and the housing. I also installed a new socket - they're cheap. The water hits the hot bulb and Voila! - instant bulb blowout, not to mention the corrosion problem. Replace the lens housing or fix the leak and you won't need all the dielectric grease to keep the water from corroding the socket.

Chemistry lesson of the day: Know why baking soda is used to clean battery terminals? Ever notice when you pour sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and water on your battery it may bubble or fizz? That's CO2 (carbon dioxide gas) being generated when the baking soda/water mixture reacts with the sulphuric acid that seeps out of the battery. Baking soda / water is a cheap way to neutralize the acid that's causing the battery terminal corrosion - not to mention the corrosion of any other metal part it touches. Just make sure the baking soda mixture DOESN'T get into an open battery!! The baking soda mixture is non-corrosive so it doesn't matter if you get it on anything else......
    BUT, since we have GM products one problem leads to another....I have a T/A, and the battery sits on top of the radiator overflow tank. Well, the molded lip on top of the tank that holds down one side of the battery cracked - I noticed this when I was changing the battery and the new battery wouldn't stay in place. I took out the tank and saw that the aluminum overflow tube that actually goes into the tank and connects to the radiator overflow hose on the other end was perforated and corroded! This was due to the battery acid coming down and eating away the tube - even old antifreeze can corrode aluminum. GM should have made the tube from stainless steel but that's another shoulda, coulda - but chose not to. If you pour too much baking soda / water on the battery, it could get into the cooling system! The fix? Go to Home Depot and get 3 feet of flexible polypropylene tubing. Get the size that fits snugly into the grommet on top of the overflow tank and stays in the tubing channel molded into the top of the tank. After you clean the top of the tank thoroughly, cut the end of the plastic tubing going into the tank at a slight angle so it won't sit square with the bottom of the tank. Go to Part Two.
    Last edited by Fastcar; 02-17-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: typo

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Part Two

Stick the hose into the tank so it touches the bottom - then back it out 1/8". This way, the hose won't sit squarely on the bottom of the tank and impede return flow to the radiator. Run a bead of silicone into the top of the tank where the hose goes into the grommet. That way, if the hose isn't completely tight with the grommet, no crap can get into the tank. Tuck the tubing into the channel on top of the tank. The tubing may not want to stay in the channel because the tubing isn't extremely flexible, but as long as it goes down into the channel the battery will keep it in place. Make sure that the tubing sticks out about 3-4" from the side of the battery. Put the battery back, slip the radiator overflow hose over (into? I don't remember now) the end of the tubing and you're done. As long as you leave enough plastic tubing sticking out from the side of the battery you don't even need to clamp the tubing/hose connection. There's no pressure there and the connection will seal itself and be liquid-tight.

As far as fixing the battery hold down lip? I got some small metal brackets used for shelf supports, cut one side off so it looked like an "L", then JB Welded the lip and the brackets in place - I embedded the brackets into JB Weld, then smeared JB Weld over the brackets until they were completely covered. 2+ years with no problems...

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

damn. ^^encyclopedia^^ good info tho. thx

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

wow...yeah i tried a type of apoxy glue on the res tank. it didn't work. The battery just beat the hell out of it, oh well. I saw res tanks on ebay, then the found it cheaper on a site sponsor, GM parts direct or something like that.

well i used CRC eletric cleaner, doubt it was worth the money. It reminded me of the R12 freon days of cleaning circuit boards. I'll take another look at the housing. I know the original had the corner edge busted from an accident. the one i bought to replace it was used and it had a crack behind the bulb area, or general area. again i tried using an apoxy type glue to seal it. something tells me it may still open or there maybe another crack. I'll be sure to give another look for more water ways.

thanks.

Pewter
    99 Camaro Z28

where do u find these 10 dollar sockets?? ive been having this exact same issue and called around and the prices ive heard have been netween 60 and 80 dollars just for the socket!! WTF??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information