Black
    1999 Trans Am

I have no idea accelerating problem

Ok, so yesterday it started. The problem is when i get over 1.8k rpms i hear air and it wont accelerate very well, Its hard to explain how slow it goes but it takes me a good min to get to 40 while shifting threw the gears since any higher then 3k sounds like its gonna die. i just hear massive air pressure but i cant tell if its letting air in. or its having trouble letting it out like an exhaust problem. i just got a new manifold on it cause my last one was cracked, and new o2 sensors, and check engine light when off pretty much 5 mins before i had the problem start. gonna go get it read. and take it to a shop but i wanted some ideas 2 what it could b since i havent run into this before.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

still have cats on the car? Almost sounds like you're describing a plugged cat.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    still have cats on the car? Almost sounds like you're describing a plugged cat.
    ya your right, i started hearing a ratteling noise guess from where......dang i didnt wanna have to get a new one at only 83k miles.

On the good news its not as bad right now, i can actually drive almost normal....well my normal it makes my drive as if im trying to save gas.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWS6 View Post
    ya your right, i started hearing a ratteling noise guess from where......dang i didnt wanna have to get a new one at only 83k miles.

On the good news its not as bad right now, i can actually drive almost normal....well my normal it makes my drive as if im trying to save gas.
    just keep an eye on the temp gauge.....a plugged cat acts like an engine brake and it'll build a lot more heat. Had the cat let go on my truck last year towing my boat back from the lake. I had it floored doing 25mph. Watched the temp gauge and as soon as it started to climb I pulled over and called the wife to bring me a hack saw. Cut the cat out and drove fine the rest of the way home.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

so ur saying cut off the cat.........ok will do

98 Formula
    06 duramax

so ur saying cut off the cat.........ok will do
    I'm saying that's what I did. I was also stranded in the middle of a church gravel parking lot. The environment and global warming wasn't exactly on my mind at the time.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

it isnt on mine either....hmm i do have inspection for a whole year...just got it few days ago............hmmm...but wouldnt i have to get another pipe put on to finish the exhaust?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it isnt on mine either....hmm i do have inspection for a whole year...just got it few days ago............hmmm...but wouldnt i have to get another pipe put on to finish the exhaust?
    I'm not recommending you do this....it's just what someone I know did.

I errrr I mean HE or THEY cut the cat completely off, measured the I.D. and O.D. of the existing pipe, bought a length of pipe that had an I.D. that would slip over the existing pipe on one end, bought a reducer that would slip inside the existing pipe on the other end, and a couple of U-clamps. Probably $20 if that worth of parts. Just cut the pipe to fit and use the reducer which probably isn't totally necessary but I like exhaust pipe to go inside the pipe as it travels towards the back of the car. Minimizes leaks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

another option might be to just punch the cat out if you can weld it back up. My cat had completely failed and was all jammed in there and once I got it out I just put the pipe back in there but we don't have testing here and I wanted the truck a little louder anyhow. I ended up finishing the exhaust all the way out and turned it in front of the back tire with a thrush muffler on there. Sounds pretty damn good for a 6 banger.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

take it off and punch the guts out. get it re-tuned if you got the cash. that's what i did.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

The car drove fine before the cracked manifold was replaced, now it runs poorly and the cats went bad? Do you have a shop in the area that you trust? Does the engine bog when in neutral and you try to rev it?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm wondering if that cat has been plugged for a while and the heat caused that manifold to crack. It'll make them glow they'll get so hot.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    The car drove fine before the cracked manifold was replaced, now it runs poorly and the cats went bad? Do you have a shop in the area that you trust? Does the engine bog when in neutral and you try to rev it?
    it was being pretty sluggish right b4 it cracked. i toke it to the shop i trust and they said it was the cat, but to bad they dont do welding....and i dont either or else id do the punch it out or just replace with pipe till i can afford it in a month. not so worried about global warming lol

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

it was being pretty sluggish right b4 it cracked. i toke it to the shop i trust and they said it was the cat, but to bad they dont do welding....and i dont either or else id do the punch it out or just replace with pipe till i can afford it in a month. not so worried about global warming lol
    Just cut the cats out with a hacksaw and put straight pipes in until you have the money to replace the cats.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

how hard is it to reach it?....i dont gotta raise it up 2 much right? cause i think ima just do that for awhile till i can go get a new one

Thread Information