Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

I have a Bad fuel Pressure Regulator

I just recently tested for a bad fuel pressure regulator on my 2002 Camaro Z28. I confirmed it is indeed a fuel pressure regulator. pressure spikes at 60 psi at key on and drops steadily after that.

heres my question. since the regulator is in the fuel tank and the car has 106k miles on it, it would be a great time to upgrade the pump. the car is almost stock, but the most power I would like to have in the near future is 500 hp. I havent done any research on fuel pumps

what fuel pumps would you recommend? im on a budget, but I will not sacrifice quality to save a buck.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I had a walbro 255 installed when my pump was going
    out since anything more than just bolt on you like h/c you'll want a better pump and if you going in the tank noes the time. Check wa6store.com that's where I get all my parts, Mike usually matchs any prices even eBay ones like my AGX's I got for $360 with free shipping.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

yea I got a response on another forum like this. I plan on swapping a walbro 255. now the only problem is finding a Fuel pressure regulator. I cant get it from GM. they want $500 for a whole sending unit. they dont sell the regulator separate.

red
    2001 Ws6 Trans Am M6

pressure regulator

ive been having similar fuel issues. when i call the dealer they called the regulator a fuel dampener on these cars. its located on the crossover tube going between your fuel rails above your intake. it ran about 97 bucks and they said its normally an over night shipping order. they said this dampener is doing the same job as a traditional regulator. dont know if it fixes the problem just yet because i found out my fuel pump is crapping out on me as well.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

no they were confused. The damper looks like a pressure regulator but thats about it. The real pressure regulator is in the tank

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    I just recently tested for a bad fuel pressure regulator on my 2002 Camaro Z28. I confirmed it is indeed a fuel pressure regulator. pressure spikes at 60 psi at key on and drops steadily after that.

heres my question. since the regulator is in the fuel tank and the car has 106k miles on it, it would be a great time to upgrade the pump. the car is almost stock, but the most power I would like to have in the near future is 500 hp. I havent done any research on fuel pumps

what fuel pumps would you recommend? im on a budget, but I will not sacrifice quality to save a buck.
    What is the exact problem with the regulator, because 60 psi spike is ok. Does the pressure regulator leak down fuel pressure rapidly? and how do you know its not the pump itself that is leaking down?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    What is the exact problem with the regulator, because 60 psi spike is ok. Does the pressure regulator leak down fuel pressure rapidly? and how do you know its not the pump itself that is leaking down?
    yes it spikes at 60 then rapidly leaks down. I dont know for sure if its the pump leaking down, but that would be kinda weird for it to leak back into the system. its classic fuel pressure regulator symptoms. (extended crank)

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

i've seen plenty pumps leak back, sounds like it could be either

red
    2001 Ws6 Trans Am M6

Question

so replacing the entire pump and sending unit kill both birds with one stone?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

yea thats what im thinking. its got 106k miles on it and im gonna mod it soon, so its a good idea to upgrade.

black w/ purple flames
    2002 Camaro SS

To replace the regulator, you will have to replace the entire fuel pump assembly--about $300.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bob1esq View Post
    To replace the regulator, you will have to replace the entire fuel pump assembly--about $300.
    yes I have checked this out a long time ago. no way am I gonna spend that much on a regulator. I found a friend that is swapping out his whole sender for something better. so I am just gonna buy that from him for cheap. its got low miles, a walbro 255 and a good regulator, so it works out great.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I had a pin hole in the fuel tube inside the fuel tank. It was causing the same issues that you describe.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

good to know. I will make sure to check for leaks when I pull it out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

like has been said already...it could easily be the pump or a pin hole leaking the pressure off. I also saw a couple years ago where someone did find and replace just the regulator except it's been so long ago that I have no idea where they found it but it's out there somewhere.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I think racetronix sells the regulator by itself.

Thread Information