Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

I have another theoretical for you guys.

This is a discussion on I have another theoretical for you guys. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Okay, so after I do the cam, rods, intake, and put assembly lube on it all, can I start the ...

Okay, so after I do the cam, rods, intake, and put assembly lube on it all, can I start the car and drive the untuned car to a dyno to be tuned?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Theoretically, yes.

What the tune does is regulate all of the electronically controlled elements that contribute to internal combustion (basically, the fuel injectors and spark timing, etc).

When you install the cam, the valve timing (the "breathing") of the engine will be different, so the fuel and spark timing will not be optimum for the new mechanical valve timing.

The tune will tell the computer how much fuel to spray on each intake stroke, when to fire the spark plugs, etc. If "timing" is off, the engine will run rough, and you can get detonation/knock and even piston slap, (the engine "beating itself up" from the inside).

The tune changes the fuel and spark timing to make it line up with the cam timing, to create a smooth running engine (as well as make power more efficiently). If you have AAA, just have them tow it to the shop... its what I would do.
    Last edited by Naaman; 07-05-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Theoretically, yes.

What the tune does is regulate all of the electronically controlled elements that contribute to internal combustion (basically, the fuel injectors and spark timing, etc).

When you install the cam, the valve timing (the "breathing") of the engine will be different, so the fuel and spark timing will not be optimum for the new mechanical valve timing.

The tune will tell the computer how much fuel to spray on each intake stroke, when to fire the spark plugs, etc. If "timing" is off, the engine will run rough, and you can get detonation/knock and even piston slap, (the engine "beating itself up" from the inside).

The tune changes the fuel and spark timing to make it line up with the cam timing, to create a smooth running engine (as well as make power more efficiently). If you have AAA, just have them tow it to the shop... its what I would do.
    Makes sense. Don't have AAA, but I can use a buddy's truck and a U-haul car trailer to take it to the dyno shop, easily. Thanks for the info!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information