Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

I have another theoretical for you guys.

This is a discussion on I have another theoretical for you guys. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Okay, this is the camshaft I want. LS1/LS6 Gen III Edelbrock Rollin Thunder Camshaft 207/220 (.573"/.580") 118 LSA | Edelbrock ...

Okay, this is the camshaft I want. LS1/LS6 Gen III Edelbrock Rollin Thunder Camshaft 207/220 (.573"/.580") 118 LSA | Edelbrock | Camshafts | Valvetrain | 98-02 Camaro/Firebird | WS6store.com Now, this is going into a stock WS6 LS1 motor. Can someone tell me what length pushrods I'll end up needing, and if anything else is needed? I really wanna cam the car.

You need the push rod measuring tool from comp cams, and get a sfi flexplate, 3 1/2" driveshaft, torque arm, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno WS6 View Post
    You need the push rod measuring tool from comp cams, and get a sfi flexplate, 3 1/2" driveshaft, torque arm, etc.
    Can you give me links to each of those parts please? I don't want to find it myself because I'm afraid I'll click the wrong ones

Not sure if ws6 project is a vendor and if I'm allowed to post their link. But texas speed is another one. PST makes good driveshafts. Tci has a good sfi flexplate. UMI Performance is great for all your suspension needs. ATI harmonic balancer also. Search, search- I've been in your shoes.

Not sure if ws6 project is a vendor and if I'm allowed to post their link. But texas speed is another one. PST makes good driveshafts. Tci has a good sfi flexplate. UMI Performance is great for all your suspension needs. ATI harmonic balancer also. Search, search- I've been in your shoes.
    I discovered the WS6 store earlier this week and I've felt like a kid in a candy shop browsing their site. Thanks for the ideas of vendors for each item. I never knew putting in a camshaft would involve so much additional modification. It'll still be a fun project because it'll give me hands-on experience and I'll learn a lot.
    Last edited by CrazyCalvinWilliams; 06-30-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Hinson c7r timing chain. Ls6 ported oil pump. Trick flow dampener bracket and timing chain dampener. Manton pushrods 11/32".

Hinson c7r timing chain. Ls6 ported oil pump. Trick flow dampener bracket and timing chain dampener. Manton pushrods 11/32".
    That's all I need for the Edelbrock cam? Also thanks for the part numbers! I'm also thinking of doing a FAST 102mm intake

You don't NEED all of that. But upgrade the critical components you're going to remove.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Speaking as one that has a FAST102 - it is way overkill for what you have planned for. A LS6 intake will be plenty for you, AT MOST A FAST 90 if you plan later on getting serious heads.

102's are best used for 6 liter blocks or high ci built or heavy nitrous motors where you need serious air volume. Most bolt ons and small cams like the one you spec'd are not getting the full benefits with a 102 intake, you'll be under utilizing it.

The other stuff mention above is just smart investment. You could also use a Melling 10295 oil pump, whichever one is on sale.

There are a ton of vendors gear towards 4th gens.

Summit racing
    WS6Store,
    Texas Speed & Performance
    Hawk's Third Gen
    BT Racing (Brian Tooley racing)
    Tick's Performance
    UMI Performance
    Strano
    Mid West Chassis

just scratching the surface of who I use.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Added the C7R to my bookmarks and parts list. I also found an LS6 ported pump and added it to the list as well. What length pushrods are needed and is the dampener necessary?

Comp cams pushrod tool. Learn to measure yourself for future use. Dampener is not needed with the c7r timing chain, it's just extra insurance.

Comp cams pushrod tool. Learn to measure yourself for future use. Dampener is not needed with the c7r timing chain, it's just extra insurance.
    Got it. Thanks!

Fuel injector connection for injectors. BMR is good for suspension but DO NOT overlook umi performance, terrific products.

Reason i said learn to measure for pushrod length is because once you change cylinder heads or headgasket or cam base circle, lifters/lifter preload, pushrod length changes and no one can tell you the right length-you have to figure it out yourself.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I have another theoretical for you guys.

^^this is what I've been saying.

TrickFlow has a timing chain damper for $37ish.

If you have or can source a long block you'll save a lot on your build costs.

Thanks everyone! You all have helped clear up my confusion a great deal and I'm definitely not as nervous about rebuilding an engine.

Oh, btw-redline assembly lube for the camshaft when installing.

Thumbs up

Oh, btw-redline assembly lube for the camshaft when installing.
    Got it, thanks mate!

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCalvinWilliams View Post
    Okay, this is the camshaft I want. LS1/LS6 Gen III Edelbrock Rollin Thunder Camshaft 207/220 (.573"/.580") 118 LSA | Edelbrock | Camshafts | Valvetrain | 98-02 Camaro/Firebird | WS6store.com Now, this is going into a stock WS6 LS1 motor. Can someone tell me what length pushrods I'll end up needing, and if anything else is needed? I really wanna cam the car.
    How shall I say this...

(Imagine Boromir)... One does not simply "cam a car."

Pulling the cam out requires a lot of work and knowledge about valve timing. Of course, you'll have to pull the heads, too... keep track of where each lifter and rod came out of (unless you're installing new push rods, which you'll have to measure). Then you have to "degree" the cam, or you can just "trial and error it," but, if you get it wrong, prepare for a lot of headaches and financial issues trying to get it right.

In any case, if all you want to do is get a car and crack open the engine and spend weeks/months/years and thousands of dollars on parts for a car you can't drive until you put it back together (hopefully correctly), then that's cool. I can respect someone who wants to learn for himself.

But if you want to actually drive it with no headaches, then start with the bolt-ons. Modifying cars is fun, but keep this in mind: crawl, walk, run... in that order!

The same philosophy that applies to the shooting/"tactical" world applies to cars as well: your first expenses are best focused on training/experience so that you can establish the foundational knowledge to know what issues you need to "fix" on your equipment. Only install it if it solves a problem.

I'd recommend putting at least 5,000 miles on the car before you start any major projects (like a cam) in order to learn what you really, really "need" in order to make the car what you want.

Here's an example from my life:

Last year, I got heads and cam on my car. Gained 80+ rwhp. For the first month or so, the power was just too much. It wasn't even fun to drive the car. You may be able to find my post here where I said something like our chassis seem unfit to even deal with 400 rwhp, let alone 500.

Now, though, after 7500 miles, I feel like it could use another 60-80 rwhp and that will be "just right." The point is this: when you do things (especially internal engine mods) you change the characteristics and performance levels of the car significantly. There will be a learning curve which must be overcome before you can move on to the next step.

By the time you've put a few thousand miles on the clock, you can look back and reevaluate what you want.

Here's my bottom line:
    My original wish for the car was to make a badass N/A car with heads/cam/stroker, etc.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy a supercharger and some headers and be done with it. Would have been overall a similar cost to what I have now (there are some additional circumstances in my case), and some of the things I don't like about the heads/cam would not be an issue (such as the additional noise/clatter of the beefier internals, and the cam is ever so slightly less responsive at low rpm; if the A/C is on when I start the car, it stalls out, instead of starting, for example).

Anyway, it's fun to plan it all out, but really, keep reading, researching and youtubing for info on what works and what doesn't. Check out some videos of people reviewing their buddy's cars and see what folks are saying. Modified cars are a whole different animal. They don't run like a "regular" car anymore. They become very quirky, very quickly the farther from stock you stray.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information