Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    More dreams than money... Cobra Killer's Avatar

White
    99 Z-28

I have 5 grand, what should I do?

Its time to buy parts guys and girls, big payday and I am hungry for horsepower. I have a 99 Z M-6. Mostly stock except for dr's and appearence stuff. I have an SS hood that fits shitty and lookin at Sunoco. Also exhaust is going to get done to, LT's and shop done true dual setup probably. Thats all I am for sure about. Thinkin about lowering, maybe camming, and I want opinions on what you guys think I should do. I will be daily driving it, and I almost always do roll racing with the occasional track stop. Please gimme some ideas!!!

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

TO get to the level of installing a cam you are going to want to upgrade the ls1 intake to a ls6 and full exhaust.

Question is who is installing the mods?
    Install prices will eat up a lot of money.

Do you have any suspension mods done to the car?
    If not that will make a difference too.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well if you are going to cam..get a fast...you will need some heads and such...you will be looking at 3k right there..if not more ..actually 4k+....

1.2k for fast intake a tb
    1k for cam and install kit
    2k for heads
    250 for injectors
    300 for tune
    250-350 for fuel pump

remember you will still need a rear and more than likely a new clutch.....id save your money and not do the lowering/hood replacement unless you really want too...but remember ..to lower properly ..it will cost some serious money in terms of upgraded adj. components

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

if i were you i and had that money i would buy a 9" in a heart beat

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Mail it to me.

I'll PM you my address.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Mail it to me.

I'll PM you my address.

with your horrible driving skills...you will probably still get smoked by that sti

98' trans am

to the OP..if you really want to get brave..just buy a used ls3 or such...you will need some modifications but nothing way to expensive

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

If I were you and your doing the labor yourself, I would do a Heads, CAM, Intake, TB, LT's and tune. You should be able to get decent prices on all that if bought from the same sponsor. It may put ya over but I would put 4.10gears and a rear girdle on if you don't have them already,recommend letting the pros do this if you have never done it. In fact I would go with gears and hold off on CAM and Heads if its all too much money. I just think if your going with a CAM ya may as well go with Heads because CAM only still needs springs.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    with your horrible driving skills...you will probably still get smoked by that sti
    You know shady... Maybe I'll use that $5k to buy a solid gold louisville slugger, and swat your mouth!!!

I figure another $2k and I'll be able to beat him.

White
    99 Z-28

Thanks for all the quick replys. As I walk around work I got thinkin... ARH LT's and full exhaust, thats like $1500, hood is not gonna be cheap prolly $700 after paint... Think I will just keep this one I got. After that I thought about what you guys said, I am not looking at eating Vettes right away. I want a cam for sound too, I cant afford heads right now and I have seen tons of cam only fbodys??? LS6 intake and medium sized cam with springs and such what would that put me at for professional install on the cam. I dont have time or tools here otherwise I would do it.

White
    99 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    to the OP..if you really want to get brave..just buy a used ls3 or such...you will need some modifications but nothing way to expensive
    Seen any for sale recently? What they going for and what supporting mods?

red
    2002 camaro ss

save alot of your money $$$ my ss is mostly stock and she dynoed at 430rwhp, i use stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock maf, stock tb, ls6 intake, stock ls6 heads, comp cam,and jeff creech tune, and dynatech supermaxx header system, with gm 4;10 gear with m6, 12sec car all day, and i believe if i had a 9 inch or 12 bolt i could run in mid 11s, im just speculating, im not a drag racer, just a old timer, so do your homework before your budgget widels away, and it will go quick, i bought my new gm ls6 heads, in the box off ebay from canada for 500 bucks, no need to have them ported, they make great power right out the box, a good tune will run you about 400 or so but its a must have, after heads and cam, good luck and i hope i helped out some anyway

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by camaross1 View Post
    save alot of your money $$$ my ss is mostly stock and she dynoed at 430rwhp, i use stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock maf, stock tb, ls6 intake, stock ls6 heads, comp cam,and jeff creech tune, and dynatech supermaxx header system, with gm 4;10 gear with m6, 12sec car all day, and i believe if i had a 9 inch or 12 bolt i could run in mid 11s, im just speculating, im not a drag racer, just a old timer, so do your homework before your budgget widels away, and it will go quick, i bought my new gm ls6 heads, in the box off ebay from canada for 500 bucks, no need to have them ported, they make great power right out the box, a good tune will run you about 400 or so but its a must have, after heads and cam, good luck and i hope i helped out some anyway
    +1 And even getting the LS6 heads ported can't run TOO much.

What size cam are you running?

White
    99 Z-28

I love this idea... These heads dont sound like bad idea... Matching intake and exhaust would still be in my price range. Did you do your own install? I know how hard it is I have done one already I just wanna know how much it would cost for the swap.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    if i were you i and had that money i would buy a 9" in a heart beat
    ^ This! Especially since you have an M6.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Although I'm an A4 I turned my car into a mid 12 second car doing a lid, full exhaust, stall (+tranny mods) and minor suspension work. Engine is stock from MAF to heads.

If I was closer to sea level it would be quicker/faster still...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    yea i cant believe everyone isnt sayin go for a new rear. why spend all your money for these mods when they are just greater increasing your chance of blowing your rear. then you'll have $5k in mods but then your gonna have to drop another $3k for a new rear. if it were me and i had that cash up front no doubt i would get a stronger rear to hold up for your future mods.

White
    99 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I roll race??? Thats why I am interested in motor more than anything. Otherwise I would be going with all the suspension stuff. I would rather go 180 than run 10's... Just me.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

hard shifts from a roll race can cause plenty of damage to the rear, just sayin. you asked for my opinion so there it is.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I hate to say it, but 5k wont get you much if you wanna do it right and safe. Buying the heads and cam is the cheap part ($1500-2000 should get you a decent h/c package), but buying the supporting mods is where the bulk of the $ gets burned. With the kind of power you want there is no way in hell your rear end and clutch will hold up. Picture $2500 for a rear end (depending on what options you get) and another $400-500 for a clutch and your already at 3k. If you cant install any of those by yourself...there goes your 5k in just 2 mods.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Thread Information