Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have 5 grand, what should I do?

This is a discussion on I have 5 grand, what should I do? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yeah I know a rear is a must with these... I just hate the idea of wasting all the money ...

More dreams than money... Cobra Killer's Avatar

White
    99 Z-28

Yeah I know a rear is a must with these... I just hate the idea of wasting all the money on something and in robs more power than the stocker. Hate the idea alot. You guys are right though trust me I know. After a rear what then? LT's and exhaust, lid, what then?

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

go to vegas and have a good time... who knows, you might wind up with 10k for mods and that's enough to build a bad ass motor

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Killer View Post
    Yeah I know a rear is a must with these... I just hate the idea of wasting all the money on something and in robs more power than the stocker. Hate the idea alot. You guys are right though trust me I know. After a rear what then? LT's and exhaust, lid, what then?
    Good rear: $2500. Full Exhaust: $1.5k. That extra $1k should go for ls6 intake and hptuners if you ask me, you can always add the cam in later should the opportunity present itself but this baseline will give you a fast ass car that won't break and the ability to tune for future mods. Also HPTuners keeps you busy, which keeps you happy when you're out of money like you're about to be. Just my $.02.

White
    99 Z-28

Thanks for the input guys. I am afraid I am jusst more mixed up then I was before now haha... Just gonna do my exhaust and go from there I guess. Since it is the only thing that I know I wanna do right now. Maybe I will just buy a bike so I stop feeling like I need to go faster after I wreck it into something big and hard hahaha.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

So what if it robs power? Every rear end does.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

red
    2002 camaro ss

comp cam 228/232duration, .600 lift on both sides 112LSA

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by camaross1 View Post
    save alot of your money $$$ my ss is mostly stock and she dynoed at 430rwhp, i use stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock maf, stock tb, ls6 intake, stock ls6 heads, comp cam,and jeff creech tune, and dynatech supermaxx header system, with gm 4;10 gear with m6, 12sec car all day, and i believe if i had a 9 inch or 12 bolt i could run in mid 11s, im just speculating, im not a drag racer, just a old timer, so do your homework before your budgget widels away, and it will go quick, i bought my new gm ls6 heads, in the box off ebay from canada for 500 bucks, no need to have them ported, they make great power right out the box, a good tune will run you about 400 or so but its a must have, after heads and cam, good luck and i hope i helped out some anyway
    I agree some stock items can be used like injectors, fuel pump and maf. Even TB if he goes with an LS6 Intake. My setup is similar other than I have fast intake and TB along with Patriot heads. I have the same headers and car is lowered a bit, I would not recommend them to the OP if he plans on lowering the car as the Y-pipe hangs a bit. I saw some Kooks LTs installed and I was very impressed with fitment, nice and tight, wish I had them. My rear is stock other than 4.10 and girdle and its seems to hold up fine but I don't beat on it from a stand still and the tires aren't sticky so I spin.
    CAM is 224/224 .581/.581 114 and very drivable which is what I wanted for road trips.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

comp cam 228/232duration, .600 lift on both sides 112LSA
    I have the same duration cam but you have a lot more lift... That is some impressive power on stock heads.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

White
    99 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    So what if it robs power? Every rear end does.
    It takes alot less to turn a 10 bolt than it does a 12, and especially a 9in. I know your right with its a must but I dont plan on running tens ever, I have a Chevelle that will do that one day. I just want a little more power, little better sound, and drivability.

red
    2002 camaro ss

i wish i had your rear end koni,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,terry and your clutch, buy the way how is that LS7 clutch koni? big diff?
    Last edited by camaross1; 08-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

It takes alot less to turn a 10 bolt than it does a 12, and especially a 9in. I know your right with its a must but I dont plan on running tens ever, I have a Chevelle that will do that one day. I just want a little more power, little better sound, and drivability.
    Lol no I mean I know a new rear eats up a lot of power, but I'm just asking why do you care? Do you want a dyno queen with 450rwhp that still runds mid 12's or a cam only car thats built well and runs 11's? The rear is gonna blow out sooner or later because with a cam in the car YOU WILL be beating on it sooner or later.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

i wish i had your rear end koni,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,terry and your clutch, buy the way how is that LS7 clutch koni? big diff?
    It's a big difference to my LS1 clutch because that thing was garbage(the steel was blued when I pulled it). But it handles very well. Feels just like stock and does not slip, chatter, or overheat causing the pedal to get lazy.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    It's a big difference to my LS1 clutch because that thing was garbage(the steel was blued when I pulled it). But it handles very well. Feels just like stock and does not slip, chatter, or overheat causing the pedal to get lazy.
    ^^ I notice the same thing with my LS7 Clutch kit.

OP I say rear end also, along with suspension upgrades. Build a solid base then go for power. Body flex and dumping your rear on the road will happen in greater percentages as you increase power.

Races that the cars are close in power are usually won by the one that has the better suspension. Power is nothing if it can't be planted to the pavement.

Black
    99 Silverado

Keep your eyes open for a used rear - there are always people on tech demodding thier cars to sell them... I would do the LS7 clutch, LS6 intake, ARH headers and a catback... then, when you have money, a cam/springs (TSP torquer V.2 would be my pick).

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Honestly? Start with the rear - go 12 bolt with gears and then get suspension so you can put the power to the ground. No point in having a ton of motor mods if you can't get it to the wheels. Throw on a lid with LT's and ORY and you'll be good to go. Just my .02 personally
    Last edited by Head Hunter; 08-18-2010 at 06:32 PM.

red
    2002 camaro ss

do what YOU WANT TO DO!!!!!!!!,

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I doubt hes ready for that. HUGE learning curve.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

gotta start somewhere/sometime

White
    99 Z-28

Are you doubting my intelligence!!?? Haha kidding. I think I will be fine, I just dont wanna pop on a rearend because I dont launch, I do roll racing. Well just say where my money takes me haha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information