I found this very strange..

Thought some of you might too.

The horn quit working on my wifes camaro. So I checked the obvious. Fuse and relay is fine. It's clicking.

So I stuck the camaro up in the air to remove that lower plastic panel and have a look. To my surprise one horn fell out and was dangling by the wires

The bracket completely snapped in half from what appears to be just years of vibration. I checked power to the horn and we have power.

So I pulled the assembly out to weld the bracket back together. Here's a pic, you can see the clean break in the bracket right above the vice grips holding it together.

So I get it welded back in one piece and bolt it back in, hook the wires up. Still no horn. I can hear a faint hissing noise from them. Appears I just need to get a new set of horns. I'm a little disappointed though for a car that is only 12 years old, to have horns that are rarely used just up and die, and a bracket snap in half? Just crazy.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

is there any corrosion on the terminals that the connector is still on? doesnt look like there is any on the uncovered one so who knows what could have caused it maybe just age?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

at your age it's fairly common to not be horny anymore sorry......couldn't let that one slide

If you have 12v going in and nothing coming out it would make sense that it's internal on the horn but I agree with wicked.....corrosion could be the culprit. Try hitting those terminals with some sandpaper. I wonder if that metal just had a bad spot in it? Seems like a weird place to break clean like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    at your age it's fairly common to not be horny anymore sorry......couldn't let that one slide

If you have 12v going in and nothing coming out it would make sense that it's internal on the horn but I agree with wicked.....corrosion could be the culprit. Try hitting those terminals with some sandpaper. I wonder if that metal just had a bad spot in it? Seems like a weird place to break clean like that.
    I can't believe I didn't see that coming. I really set myself up for that one

Yep 12 volts at the weatherpack plug (main harness). I'll put it back up in the air and check the terminals. The one unplugged in the pic is a secondary that comes from the main harness. It was the only thing still holding the horn in there The other connector is actually a tight weatherpack style connector, so I didn't give it much attention, but I will now just in case. You never know.

Not sure about the break and I don't even know how long it's been this way. I don't use the horn much so I really don't know when it quit. Odd break though. I can only assume vibrations that typically do this sort of thing. It's a nice clean snap too and almost gives the impression of a cut.
    It's welded now with an extra brace for strength so I don't have to do this again

Draw back is I probably added 5-7 ounces over the nose so it probably slowed the car down
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-25-2012 at 03:37 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

lol I was gonna tell you to add a gusset too..lol

Thread Information