quicky06

i cant get rid of this vibration!

well for the past 6 months ive had a vibration comoing from the front rigght of my 99 rs v6 camaro. it varies with speed and goes away when turning left.

heres what ive checked/ done so far:

no rubbing issues what so ever 235/45/17

rotors where warped and replaced along with pads due to a caliper slide being stuck

there was a dent on the inner rim of the wheel that was fix a week ago

now i figure all i have left is the wheel bearing. which i come to find that i have to buy the entire hub assembly to replace it(advanced autoparts, Auto Zone, o'rielly). so my questions are:

do you have any other ideas what it could be?

can i get the bearing by its self to save $100?

if i replace the whole hub will i have to get an alignment($70)?

thanks

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

ok a wheel bearing will make a noise that might be felt as a vibration that will change in relation to which way you turn the wheel.Straight ahead and turning one way the noise will still be there.But if you get turned slightly the other way the noise goes away-this is because there is actually two bearings running side by side in that hub.It's easy to replace-but if the noise is still there try trading bearings with the other side-it's easy to not get it right on which side is bad the first time.Brakes will normally only vibrate when applying the brakes.If your alignment was ok before it will still be ok after changing the wheel bearing-it's not going to change at all.However if you hit something hard enough to bend a wheel and ruin a wheel bearing-it would be a good idea to have that alignment redone.

quicky06
    Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    ok a wheel bearing will make a noise that might be felt as a vibration that will change in relation to which way you turn the wheel.Straight ahead and turning one way the noise will still be there.But if you get turned slightly the other way the noise goes away-this is because there is actually two bearings running side by side in that hub.It's easy to replace-but if the noise is still there try trading bearings with the other side-it's easy to not get it right on which side is bad the first time.Brakes will normally only vibrate when applying the brakes.If your alignment was ok before it will still be ok after changing the wheel bearing-it's not going to change at all.However if you hit something hard enough to bend a wheel and ruin a wheel bearing-it would be a good idea to have that alignment redone.

the alignment was done after the problem solving started and i discoverd that my tie rod ends where bent . but i cant just get a bearing i have to by the whole hub assembly(*add napa to my list) thats why i am checking to see if changing the hub assembly will change the alignment at all because its only a month old.

and no i didnt do all this damage to the car it was like it when i bought it(including a $1500 tranny rebuild)

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Let me clear something up-I didn't mean you personally damaged the vehicle-what I meant was "if the vehicle" hit something hard enough-the damage doesn't care who's driving. And for that matter potholes -slick roads and curbs happen to the best of us-don't take it as an insult to you personally.And the answer is still no-changing the hub will not change the alignment-I realize what the repair entails and answered the question accordingly.I've done quite a few of these over the years professionally and worked alignment racks for decades-doesn't mean I know everything-but this stuff I've got pretty well covered.And I might add for your age that's a pretty impressive car-glad you're trying to take good care of it.

quicky06
    wells its a 6 and thanks. i paid for it all my self . and i didnt think that you were saying that i did the damage. i just hate when people think that because im 16 i drive it like a moron and beat on it. i dont beat on my car, thats what i have my uncles nova for lol.

and thanks for the info

NBM
    '00 Z28

Replace the hub and you should be good.

That is, as long as you quit running it into curbs you young idiot driver who beats on his car.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Thread Information